NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

VS2018 Crashes in Capture Video?

VS2018 Crashes in Capture Video?

Postby brucefl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:29 pm

I had not used VS2018 much yet. In recording video today under capture it crashed in two different instances.
The first one was when I clicked the disable audio preview. The 2nd one when it finished recording I came in there was a blue screen
to show that there was no more on the tape. I clicked stop recording and in both instances VS2018 just closed down.
I know it used to be when it crashed it would come back up on the last thing you were doing. At least it saved the recording.

Would this have to do with Direct X or something else. The program shows it is up to date? I know there used to be some problems with earlier versions with quicktime. Does it still use it?

Just gets aggravating working on projects and have to restart it, not knowing what the problem is. Hopefully someone has come across this.

Thanks Bruce
brucefl

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: I7-3770
processor: 3.4 Gig
ram: 12gb
Video Card: NT Geoforce 640
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 much

Re: VS2018 Crashes in Capture Video?

Postby Ken Berry » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Bruce. It would be useful if you could tell us what you were capturing from and how you were doing it. For instance, you mentioned a tape but that could imply you were using a VHS tape player (?) or else were trying to capture from a DV/HDV camcorder which of course records video to tape. Or you could have been trying to capture from some old analogue video filmed on an old non-digital video camera... Which are you doing? And what capture device are you using if capturing VHS or analogue video? Or are you using Firewire if it is DV/HDV video? If using a capture device, have you tried using any capture software which might have come with the device?

As for Quicktime, the problem was apparently with the QT player. But if by chance you are trying to capture something on tape and are using the .mov codec in the capture process, you would still need the have installed QT Essentials (which is just the codec). But I can't see you doing this from the little you have told us.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 28" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby brucefl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Well that is still normal for me after all these years lol not all the information. I am going From a VCR (vhs tape, transferred from super8) through a Canopus ADVC110 through firewire. I have an I& with 24 gig ram, with a GT GEFORCE 640 I believe that has 8 gig on the video ram. I have always used the software from VS; one reason I try to keep the software up to date. I generally use the default settings for recording it. Last time I used it, I could go right from the capture to the edit. Hope this helps a little more. Thanks Bruce
brucefl

Postby Ken Berry » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:06 am

So is the Canopus connected at both ends, and specifically the computer end, on a Firewire port, or do you have one of those Firewire adapters which plug into a USB port (I've never been sure about how effective they are)? And are you capturing in DV/AVI format or getting VS to convert the incoming signal to USB automatically?

If the latter, then you might want to try DV/AVI even though the files will be much bigger. You might also, if capturing in DV/AVI format, want to switch from the type of DV to the other i.e. if you are set to capture Type 1, then switch to Type 2 or vice versa. The end result is identical video. It's just that one type captures the video and audio in one stream, while the other captures in separate streams. But VS can handle both. However, I seem to recall that more recent versions of VS appear to "prefer" Type 2.

But if indeed you have a firewire port on your computer, then I am wondering -- since you are apparently using Win 10 -- whether the Firewire driver which now comes as part of Windows (and I think was also in Win 7) is the problem. You might want to try using the "old" or legacy Firewire driver. Have a look at this post to see my guide for reverting to the legacy driver: viewtopic.php?p=352262#p352262

Of course if that too doesn't work, you can always switch back to the new driver.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 28" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby brucefl » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Thanks, I will try those the next time or in a bit. Fortunately it did capture all the video. Just a noisome to have to start it back up. I go directly to a firewire board which I took out of my last one since a lot of things do not use firewire. Maybe it is time to update to something else. Thanks again Bruce
brucefl

Return to VideoStudio