NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Painting Creator bug introduced in VS2018

Painting Creator bug introduced in VS2018

Postby Davidk » Fri May 18, 2018 3:32 am

I'm creating a project in VS2018 (version 21.2.0.113), and I want to draw an overlay on a picture image using the painting creator tool, something I have done many times before using prior versions. This is a screenshot of vsp before I started:
Thursday island pant creator_2018  1.jpg

The image I'm trying to "draw on" is the second satellite image of thursday island seen in the timeline of the vsp here. But when the image is selected and painting creator is opened (tools\painting creator at the bottom of the list), this is a screenshot of the tool window that opens:
Thursday island paint creator_2018 2.jpg

Never seen this before. Nothing I did (closed and opened the PT tool several times) changed the black content of the tool window, but I did manage to crash vs2018 several times trying.
Analysis
I saved the vsp from 2018 as an x10 file, and re-opened that vsp using x10 (version x10.5.0.60). Selected the image, and opened the PC tool: and voila - normal PC window as expected. I took this screenshot of the PC window in X10;
Thursday island paint creator_x10.jpg

Using X10, I created the 'drawn over' overlay I wanted, played it OK, and saved the vsp. Re-opened that vsp using Vs2018, and the the project file played correctly - the image and drawn overlay displayed OK.

So, it seems that a new bug exists in the painting creator tool window as executed in 2018. At least on my machine. Anyone else having this experience, and how do I report it to Corel?
Davidk

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3.7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Viewsonic Vx1935wm
Corel programs: Video Studio X5,X6,X7,X8,X9,X10,2018

Re: Painting Creator bug introduced in VS2018

Postby RobertOZ » Fri May 18, 2018 4:10 am

Sorry David, unable to replicate, Painting Creator seems to be working correctly on the laptop
Attachments
Snap1.png
Dell Inspiron 7567,Win 10, Intel Kaby-Lake i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5,dual drives, 256GB SSD + 1 TB internal HDD + 5TB portable HDD
RobertOZ
Advisor

motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A86 1.04E01
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 5770
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 23fi IPS LED, (Main) : Benq E22200HD (Sub)
Corel programs: VSX4-X10 VS 2018 & MS 3D

Postby gewb » Fri May 18, 2018 4:15 am

Hi Dave -

Could not duplicate (it worked just fine).

Regards,
GEWB
gewb

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
motherboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
processor: Intel Q6600
ram: 8GB
Video Card: AMD R9-200 series
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: DELL S2209W
Corel programs: X7 Pro, X8.5 Ult, X10.5 Ult., 2018 Ult.

Postby Davidk » Fri May 18, 2018 11:20 am

After Robert's and gwb's responses, I tried something new - a clean VS 2018 start, and only 2 jpg images loaded: one from my compact canon sx280 camera, and one from Google maps (the satellite image I was experiencing trouble with in the vsp). I thought that if there was any issue with the satellite image format, these would give a good comparison.

And for each image, selected it and chose painting creator. AND the PC tool window opened normally. puzzlement reins . . .

Next I opened 2018, and saved the original vsp as a test file, and having opened the test file began removing clips, photo's voice files and music, one-by-one and at each deletion, again trying to open Painting creator on the satellite photo image. The rationale was to find the item that changed the PC selection from a fail to good. But every test of PC was a fail. getting frustrated more than bit here . . .

Then I tried opening the original test file, and opened the PC tool on any image - all failed. Closed the test vsp and chose a new project (a clean timeline . . .), imported just the satellite image (this is similar to the test outlined in para 2 above) and opening PC on it failed. tearing hair stage, but there's not much left after age has removed most of it . .

Next test - opened a clean 2018, imported the satellite image and opened the PC tool on it - and the window opened OK. Selected open project and chose the original vsp. That opened Ok, but selecting the PC tool failed again when I tried to apply the PC tool to the satellite image. Closed that project (File/new project) and started a new project without shutting 2018 down. Imported the satellite image again (as for start of this para) and selected the PC tool on it - and it failed.

Conclusions.
1. Something in creating a 2018 vsp has damaged the program re opening the painting creator tool on a selected photo image, and deleting various elements from the affected vsp did not fix the 'PC tool failing' issue.
2. And once damaged, removing the original project file and opening a new one in the same session of VS has the same PC tool fail effect on that new project file.
3. Completely re-starting VS2018 seems to be the only way to remove what ever is causing the problem.
4. BUT it is VS2018 related - recall (original post) that I created an X10 vsp from the failing 2018 vsp (simply saved it as an X10 vsp format file), and after opening that x10 vsp under X10, the painting creator tool functioned normally on a selected image.

Asik has been commenting about these sort of issues for years and urging Corel to focus on fixing them. Seconded and thirded after this set of unstable performance from VS.
Davidk

motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3.7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Viewsonic Vx1935wm
Corel programs: Video Studio X5,X6,X7,X8,X9,X10,2018

Postby plasmavideo » Fri May 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Just a thought . . . over time, I've discovered that sometimes oddball issues like this can be fixed by using a third party disc cleaning app, and selectively deleting temp files related to VSP, especially if the issue seems to be tied to one particular project. One I've used is Wise Disc Cleaner that's available on the Portable Apps platform (and probably as a standalone). It allows you to selectively delete temp files, and will identify those created by VSP and Paintshop Pro.
Independent Editor/Producer
plasmavideo

Return to VideoStudio