NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Cannot Keep/Save Customized Toolbar (Standard/Top bar) ?

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

Cannot Keep/Save Customized Toolbar (Standard/Top bar) ?

Postby Troy at TheGTAMblog » Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Just wondering what I might be doing wrong, as it seems that I cannot keep and COMMANDS dragged to the Standard Toolbar (Customizing the Toolbar).

Here is the steps I perform:
- Right-Click Standard Toolbar
- Choose CUSTOMIZE
- From list, Drag a Command to the Toolbar (it shows the icon/button for it on the Standard Toolbar)
- Close the Customize Window
- Restart Program (sometimes it lasts for a couple of Restarts)
- ??
- Eventually, the Commands that were placed on the Standard Toolbar are gone...

I've looked in the Preferences for 'locking' or 'keeping' the Toolbar customizations, I've tried reinstalling the program (in case of file corruption, etc); but nothing seems to make the Commands place on the main/Standard Toolbar 'stay' there for an extended period of time.
I place about 6-7 extra Commands or so (functions I find I am using often).
PSPro works wonderfully otherwise!
Adding IMAGE to show clearly what I am referring to.
PaintShopPro = Cannot Keep Customized Toolbar Items - The Game Tips And More Blog.png

Thanks for any ideas on this!
Troy at TheGTAMblog

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
processor: AMD FX-8350
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 1060
sound_card: Creative Labs Tactic Alpha 3D THX Certified
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6TB total
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell 2407WFP
Corel programs: PaintShopPro, VideoStudio

Re: Cannot Keep/Save Customized Toolbar (Standard/Top bar) ?

Postby JoeB » Thu May 17, 2018 10:16 pm

When you customize PSP you then have to save that workspace, because it is now a differently configured workspace than what you started with before the customization. Otherwise, when restarting PSP, PSP will load the last saved workspace that you had previously selected and loaded.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Postby Troy at TheGTAMblog » Sun May 20, 2018 3:16 am

JoeB wrote:When you customize PSP you then have to save that workspace, because it is now a differently configured workspace than what you started with before the customization. Otherwise, when restarting PSP, PSP will load the last saved workspace that you had previously selected and loaded.

Oh, thank you for explaining this - I thought Workspaces had to do with Window/Pane/Panel placement and sizes/location/etc - I'll try this. Thanks again!
Troy at TheGTAMblog

motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
processor: AMD FX-8350
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 1060
sound_card: Creative Labs Tactic Alpha 3D THX Certified
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6TB total
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell 2407WFP
Corel programs: PaintShopPro, VideoStudio

Postby LeviFiction » Sun May 20, 2018 4:00 am

It does, workspaces have a lot of settings including icons, last used parameters, whether PSP starts in Manage or Edit mode. Including custom toolbars, command placements, command names, shortcut keys, etc.

JoeB, are you sure? I've never had to save my workspace for PSP to remember my settings. It is not my understanding that PSP reloads the workspace upon startup, but rather loads in whatever settings are in the registry. Workspace files are just registry files, when you load in a workspace PSP literally writes the data in a workspace file to the registry. There would be no need to do that every time PSP loaded otherwise the registry itself would be unnecessary.

I don't have a better reason for why Troy's workspace would constantly be resetting. Short of him manually resetting it without realizing it. But in a quick test I have three workspaces. I closed PSP, renamed the current workspace file to a different one and changed another one to match my currently selected workspace. When PSP loaded it did not load in the new workspace. I then did a full factory reset and deleted my workspaces altogether. And after 17 attempts to reopen my workspace has never reset.

Also there is nothing in the help files about needing to save the workspace in order for PSP to remember the settings.

Of course it's always a good idea to save out your workspace. Especially if you've made big changes. As this allows you to quickly setup different workflows for different types of projects with a few simple clicks.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Postby JoeB » Sun May 20, 2018 6:23 pm

LeviFiction wrote:JoeB, are you sure? I've never had to save my workspace for PSP to remember my settings.

I'm not sure that you always have to save your workspace every time that you do a customization, and in fact do believe that I have had times when it wasn't necessary, particularly in some older versions if memory serves. So perhaps my statement was somewhat overly general.

However, starting with v. x9 and 2018 I am definitely sure that, when I have added a few new customizations like rearranging buttons or menus or adding boundscripts, I ran into the problem that the OP reported - i.e., when I reloaded the program the customization disappeared and the previous workspace would open. Because memory doesn't serve well I can't remember if this happened every time but definitely remembered it happened at least several different times. And the solution that worked for me was to save the workspace, immediately after customizing, using the same workspace name but adding a sequential number to it. So my present general workspace is named JoeB_2018_06, being the 6th save since my first customization of 2018. Because I have likely done more than 6 customizations it is likely that there were some that didn't require saving the workspace. But the reason I started doing that was because of several customizations that simply didn't stick unless I save AND loaded that workspace.

So it could simply be an issue with my system/psp configuration (i.e., system specific) or an intermittent bug. But, as you say, there doesn't seem to be another apparent explanation for the OP's issue. And if it wasn't an issue of some sort then we likely wouldn't have heard from the OP. :-)
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Postby Jean-Luc » Sun May 20, 2018 11:05 pm

JoeB wrote:And the solution that worked for me was to save the workspace, immediately after customizing, using the same workspace name but adding a sequential number to it. So my present general workspace is named JoeB_2018_06, being the 6th save since my first customization of 2018. Because I have likely done more than 6 customizations it is likely that there were some that didn't require saving the workspace.

I'm working exactly like JoeB : saving the workspace with a sequential number after each customization. The reason on my side is : if PSP crashes or hangs and needs to be killed, last and not saved customizations are lost.
http://www.paintshoppro.eu
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9, 2018 and 2019.
Jean-Luc

motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018, 2019

Postby LeviFiction » Sun May 20, 2018 11:09 pm

Everyone has their ways. :D

I just have preset workflow workspaces. Commonly used tools an settings, palette positions, that sort of thing. One for tutorials, one for vector work, one for photo work, etc. I personally have no need to maintain numerous changes. If I find a new workflow or improvements to my current workflow I just overwrite the old one.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Return to Paint Shop Pro