NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

PSP 2018 Crop Tool : view gets re centered when selected?

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

PSP 2018 Crop Tool : view gets re centered when selected?

Postby chris_b » Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm

also, zooming with the mouse-wheel when using the crop tool centers the view in the middle of the image.. even if it places the bounds of the crop tool entirely off-screen. Why?

Eg. suppose you want to precisely crop a single square from a chessboard pattern: previously you could zoom into a corner of the crop rectangle with the mouse wheel, adjust the it, zoom out then into the opposite corner of the crop rectangle.

It was really quick and simple with previous versions - but now it's infuriating. When you zoom in the view is centered back in the middle of the image (not even the middle of the crop rectangle!) so you have to hunt around with the scroll bars (because, unlike with all the other tools,holding space to pan around doesn't work?).

Is there a setting or registry key to have the zooming and panning work with the crop tool like in previous versions?
chris_b

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: N/A

Re: PSP 2018 Crop Tool : view gets re centered when selected

Postby jayson1945 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:26 am

there appears to be many issues with the crop tool in PSP 2018....do a search of the boards
jayson1945

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: Intel Core i-5 3.2Ghz
ram: 4GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ
Corel programs: PSP X2, X4, X7, PSP 2018,

Postby hartpaul » Wed May 16, 2018 9:42 am

Specifically here:
https://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=63351
We are hoping that in the next update they will either revert it to what it was in PSP X9 or at least add a checkbox so that we can choose which method of cropping we want.
Systems XP, Win7, Win 8.1,Win 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.2007 HDD C drive 7200 rpm
hartpaul
Advisor

System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: AsusTex P7P55D
processor: IntelCore I 5 2.67 Ghz
ram: 8 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
sound_card: Nvidia High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2000 Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ T2200HD
Corel programs: PSP8,X2 to X9,2018

Postby chris_b » Wed May 16, 2018 11:53 am

Yeah, I saw the the other threads but didn't find anything about this specific issue. To be honest I was as much venting my frustration* as hoping for a solution - I've got a full Adobe CC subscription but I still prefer PSP to Photoshop for a lot of tasks because I've been using it since maybe before some of the current coders working on it were even born.

hartpaul wrote:We are hoping that in the next update they will either revert it to what it was in PSP X9 or at least add a checkbox so that we can choose which method of cropping we want.

Ironically, it was the supposed improvements to the crop tool that motivated me to upgrade.. in X9 the crop tool drives my computer's fans wild - seems like there's some issue where it uses way more CPU resources than it should. But, even with the new behaviour, I think it's a bug that holding spacebar to pan doesn't work.

*and while I'm at it: when you're zoomed way in, the fact that the cropping rectangle is drawn through the middle of pixels rather than on the boundary between pixels is super-irritating. I guess the use case of close-up pixel-perfect cropping wasn't something that was really considered by whoever implemented it.
chris_b

System_Drive: N/A

Return to Paint Shop Pro