NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Wishlist for VS 2019

Re: Wishlist for VS 2019

Postby canuck » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Casman wrote:At this moment in CVS10 it is possible to select all thumbnails in the storyboard but other than that, you cant really do anything with the selected thumbnails (via sub menu). A print/export/save as... possibility for the thumbnails (to cdr?) so that these thumbnails can be used for future reference or edited in a third party app for example to add comments, team ideas etc.

I don't really understand what you are requesting. Thumbnails on the timeline track (or on the storyboard track) are simply a reduced image of a frame of a video. There is really nothing you can do with them such as printing, exporting etc.
canuck

operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Postby Casman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:09 am

Canuck, you are correct, nothing you can do with these small thumbnails but these thumbs do have clip numbers and time info on them. Having the option to print/export this list of available clips (with clip numbers and time info), then it will be much easier to share and annotate these thumbs with comments, revisions etc. Of course, you could just render and share the project but takes render time. The idea beyond this request is to do more with the storyboard thumbs/info. Often we have many rows of clips on the storyboard and what we do now is catching all thumbs (readable) with several screen dumps but these are what they are, screen dumps of thumbs on a black background.
Casman

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Foxconn
processor: Intel
ram: 4Gb
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 2xSamsung 28"
Corel programs: CorelDraw Corel VideoStudio

Postby Pavel_Kolotilov » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Maybe I am repeating, but I do not have time to read the whole thread. Also, I have experience with VSx10, and it is possible that some of those feature already available in 2018 version:

- Fix h-265 codec. Now it has problems with bitrate control and some jerking in 25/30p in 4K;
- Support hardware acceleration for latest Intel processors when producing a final movie. Now it is painfully slow in 4K, especially for h265;
- Possibility to have spaces between clips on the first track;
- Upgrade proDAD Rotopen. I love the feature, but it is very obsolete;
Pavel_Kolotilov

motherboard: ASUS H170M-E D3
processor: Intel Skylake i7 6700
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Nvidia Quadro P400
sound_card: Integrated sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3TB+
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP Z27i + Dell P2417H
Corel programs: Corel VideoStudio x10 Ultimate

Postby tletter » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Pavel_Kolotilov wrote:- Support hardware acceleration for latest Intel processors when producing a final movie. Now it is painfully slow in 4K, especially for h265;

The bigger problem is that VS 2018 ignores the GPU (see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64181#p360274).
Pavel_Kolotilov wrote:- Possibility to have spaces between clips on the first track;

No.
Pavel_Kolotilov wrote:- Upgrade proDAD Rotopen. I love the feature, but it is very obsolete;

Rotopen has not changed since at least X8 if not X6 as has not Mercalli.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
tletter

processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018

Postby iNate » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:37 am

The NLE needs a search box for the Media and Plug-Ins/Effects/Transitions/etc. Libraries (like PowerDirector has).

They need a better Bonus Content Installer. One that allows us to Choose which Plug-In packages to install. Some of these plug-ins weight as much as a Gigabyte or more, and you can't cleanly remove i.e. buggy NewBlue Titler Pro if you install it on top of countless other NBFX products; as they all use some common directories. I honestly have no need for software like: VideoStudio MyDVD, FastFlick, NewBlue Titler Pro 5 (quite buggy), Various NewBlue Video Essentials packages (completely worthless Plug-Ins making a few not worth installing), NewBlue Sampler Pack. I usually have MyDVD and its content packs uninstalled within 3 minutes of VideoStudio the installer finishing its work.

Integrate Template and Graphics pack into the base package. The installation of these afterwards is completely illogical (dozens of individual installers to run and click through, which all auto-open an Explorer window when they're done... really?)

They need an option to view Video and Audio Tracks concurrently, without having to constantly switch "modes." (See... most other video editors on the market).

I find the way transitions are displayed on the timeline absolutely awful. I don't know how else to say this. Use another video editor. Most others do it [much] better.

The NLE doesn't allow you to render with installed Video Encoders on the machine (i.e. Grass Valley's HQX Encoder (AVI)). This makes it impossible to create your own good Proxy Templates in the NLE, or batch convert from CPU intensive video CODECs to an edit-friendly intermediate CODECs. the NLE still loads the videos just fine for editing, but you have to use another NLE or software application to convert footage so that you can edit with goodperformance in VideoStudio… Kind of defeats the purpose!

The minimum track height is still WAY too thick. The minimum should be half what it is now. The bar between Library/Preview and Timeline has a wasted Pixels. It's too thick. Can be made thinner. A lot of this in the UI. Some windows do not scale properly on 768p screens. They are too large for the screen resolution. Seems a massive oversight.

General UI is laggy. Scrolling through the library is just not good, even on an i7 system. Operations seem sluggish everywhere.

Better [and more] Keyboard Shortcuts. Those that do exist, are often not intuitively found or labeled. (I will need to recheck the documentation PDF to see if there is a full keymap listed there).

Option to have Source (Clip) + Record (Project) monitors (like Pinnacle Studio).

Make it work with Laptops that have switchable graphics. (i.e. Intel/Nvidia Optimus). Right now, it's limited to the iGPU, and cannot be used with the powerful discrete GPUs in these systems (period - it's locked to the iGPU). Results in even worse performance (probably has something to do with the laggy UI issues). This is a big deal, as some plug-ins are heavier and the NLE spawns them in such a way that they are locked to the same GPU that the NLE is locked to! This causes them to perform horribly. Boris Title Studio, for example, is awful when locked to Intel UHD 630 graphics, on a laptop with a 1060 or 1070 GPU! Most color correction and effects plug-ins perform badly due to being locked to the discrete iGPU.

Need updated settings dialogs. The current settings dialogs are WAY too simple, and barely allow you to do anything. I really need to be able to set the NLE to cache all Pre-Renders, Temp Files, etc. to a non-system drive. Honestly, the obsession with simple is getting extremely detracting. People who are editing video should expect some level of complexity, otherwise the application is simplified to the point that it becomes unworkable for just as many others.

The track limitations are a bit much, particularly for Audio Tracks. This needs to be upped significantly. There are use cases that simply are unworkable due to the low amount of Video and Audio tracks (working with sound effects, Animating PSPImage files with many layers for Motion Graphics, etc.). Up the Overlay Tracks to 24+, and the Audio Tracks to 12+. That would at least give a bit more breathing room.

QSV, NVenc, VCE encode acceleration support. Accelerated Timeline Decode for supported formats (like H.264 and HEVC). MAGIX editors (not VEGAS) do this (with QSV, at least), and the performance is... to die for.

Support for more Audio Formats, like FLAC.

Audio Mixer. (See PowerDirector) Maybe I just missed it?

Support for Round-Tripping image editing between PaintShop Pro and VideoStudio. Why is this not a thing already?

Native Support for H.264 QuickTime files. QuickTime installation should not be a thing for common CODECs in a MOV container. I think Cyberlink fixed this in PowerDirector 15. VideoStudio still cannot load an iPhone H.264 MOV file without QuickTime installed. This is laughable.

Remove Auto-Rippling from main video track. May people are avoiding VideoStudio because of this limitation. The 1 + 20 video track limitation is pretty low, particularly when you want to use layered PSP images for Motion Graphics on Overlay Tracks... so, making one of them unusable by enforcing this doesn't make the application any more attractive to possible users.
iNate

motherboard: ASUS GL503VD
processor: Intel i7-7700HQ
ram: 32GB
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 10xx
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS 1080p IPS LCD
Corel programs: PSPX9, VSX9 Pro, VS2018 (Refunded)

Postby Dirk184 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 am

more keyboard shortcuts (like cut and remove left/right part- "s" only cuts video)
trackmanager: there's no option to remove the comment/speak track - i rarely use this track
a morph transition as in ps21/ps22 would be nice
Dirk184

motherboard: Intel
processor: i7-7700HQ
Video Card: NVIDIA 1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 512 GB SSD
Corel programs: VS 2018, PSP 2019<-> x3, MotionS

Postby Candive » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:44 pm

edrizz wrote:When click "Open Project", default to the Corel "my projects" folder where projects are saved by default. Currently, the import window opens the lastest directory where content was read from which is usually not where projects are saved. I never can remember where projects are saved so this wastes time. Ideally, the default for various types of files could be set up in User Preferences. There could even be a preference button for "use latest" or "use default" directory when opening windows directories in search of projects, content, etc.

This was requested by edrizz for version X8! Such a simple suggestion/request I wonder if you can tweak the registry to accomplish it?

Another nice to have would be a video asset catalogue system where you can tag your source videos with people, places, events, descriptions and star ratings etc and have the ability to find, group and sort your videos based on this criteria and then transfer the group to a project library if necessary.
Candive

Corel programs: VS x10 PSP2018

Postby Candive » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:05 am

Video capture has changed over the years. People are now capturing more on their phones and Action cameras. The camcorder is really left to the die hard enthusiast. The new users are looking for a simple editor to spit out their short home and action videos to share online. Companies like Corel and Cyberlink, who are focused on this market segment, have catered to it to an extent - think Corel Fast Flicks. A couple of years ago it was all about 3D and now the focus is on Action and 360 dergee cameras. Cyberlink is on their third version of Action Director which is a separate product but included as a tool in Powerdirector. It didn't really invent anything new but consolidated a number of functions like lens correction, 360 video, stabilisation and white balance into one easy to use platform. The key is - "easy to use and fast turnaround" for this market segment. In VS 2018, Corel halfheartedly met the competition with a Lens/fisheye correction feature. Even though I have action camera, I didn't upgrade to VS 2018 because VS 10x already had a NewBlue Lens correction filter which works just fine. For action cameras, Video Studio can do everything Powerdirector can do but they missed the mark when it came to "easy to use and fast turnaround." Powerdirector just packaged their action camera functionality better than Corel.

Now the next evolution in Action camera video editing is telemetry. The cameras now have sensors such as GPS, compass, barometer, temperature and acceleration. This data can now be overlayed onto the videos in the form of customised gauges and graphs - very cool! Gopro and Garmin have rushed to market with their free video editing software that uses telemetry data. Gopro purchased a software company called Dashware to help them do it. I think the two are wasting their time because I am sure Cyberlink, to stay in the game, is working on the same thing for a multitude of devices; not just Gopros and Garmin Virbs. Companies like Gopro and Garmin are not video editing companies, their editors are basic and this is where Cyberlink has the edge. Its offering will be much more sophisticated. But I'm sure Gopro and Garmin won't care as long as they can sell more cameras - in fact they are probably looking for somone to take over the software side so they can devote resources back to the hardware.

So where does this leave Corel and Video Studio? In the Canadian cold! But there is hope. The best software for this type of video editing is RaceRender 3. Although it is great at telemetry, its still a basic video editor. I have been using this software in conjunction with VS. Basically I import the telemetry data and video into RaceRender. Synch the video and data. Green screen the gauges and export the gauges as a green screen video. Using VS, I import the a source video and the green screen video. The gauges are overlayed onto the source video for post processing.

To get back in the game, Corel should be knocking on RaceRender's door to develop a plugin before Cyberlink does - if they haven't already....
Candive

Postby asik1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:41 am

thanks for the tip Candive, I see that RaceRender 3 has portable version to try.
Don't expect a plugin any time soon, simplier ones never got in.
asik1

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ENGT430
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Postby Candive » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:51 am

I like to remain optimistic. :) I hope Corel appreciates the fact that there are a lot of dedicated members on this forum and that their suggestions and ideas are taken into consideration. This annual posting is called a "Wishlist" while others may consider it a "Whinge List" I think its great that Corel has this platform to gain feedback on their products. Corel releases a new version every year because they depend on repeat business to generate a continuous source of cashflow. They have to be aware of the direction the industry as well as areas in its product where it needs improvement and or enhancement. What are they going to offer in 2019 to entice me to upgrade? Read my posts listed above. I know that many users upgrade just to have the latest version regardless, but others, like me, patiently wait until a version is available that meets our requirements. VS is my main video editing software, but I have trialled Cyberlink to see what the competition is offering. Why do I stick with VS? To be honest, I think it has a lot to do with the communal support from this forum. There are members here, like yourself, who take the time to help others, which I am very grateful. :)
Candive

Postby griffindr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:22 pm

All the transition dynamic thumbnails show both forward and “reverse” A==>B and B==> A but they only operate in one direction. For example Hinge (A exits stage left but the dynamic icon shows BOTH A and B exiting to the left. Am I missing something? Specifically the CrossZoom operate as A zoom out ==>B zoom in.

My request is the opposite A zoom in ==>B zoom out.
Please :D
griffindr

motherboard: ASUS Q524U
processor: Intel i7
ram: 12 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
sound_card: REALTEK HD and NVIDIA Virtual
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1920x1080 32 bits/pixel
Corel programs: VS 2018 Ultimate

Postby RobertOZ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:10 am

You can change the direction, by right clicking on the transition in the timeline and selecting "Open Options Panel" you then have the option to change the direction of the transition
Dell Inspiron 7567,Win 10, Intel Kaby-Lake i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5,dual drives, 256GB SSD + 1 TB internal HDD + 5TB portable HDD Samsung 28" 3840x2160 UHD 4K LED Monitor
RobertOZ
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A86 1.04E01
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930
Video Card: Radeon HD 5770
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 32" IPS LED (Main) HP 23fi IPS LED
Corel programs: VSX4-X10 VS 2018 & MS 3D

Postby excalibur1814 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:05 am

asik1 wrote:
excalibur1814 wrote:Each and every single year Corel wants us to upgrade but this year it's been REALLY annoying. After adding a text transition, changing the text size, it will often crash VS. ...and no it's not my machine as it happens on all three. Plus there's the recent issue with saving your clip but it uses the proxy video instead.

Just release an application that actually damn well works for a change and NOT just a colour change.

-Lut support.
-Fine movement of overlays or audio using arrow keys.

I fear, however, that we'll just get the usual rubbish just like each update for Corel Paint Shop pro. Another year, another tiny step forward, a few back.

Who is forcing you to update or upgrade?
I'm OK with VSX9.2 and don't want even to update to X9.6 and bloat it.
As Excalibur you should know better.

Great reply, thanks, it added a lot. No-one is forcing me to upgrade and when VS 2019 hits I'll wait six months and check here for results.

P.s. Please Corel, please, add support for moving video via the arrow keys.
excalibur1814

Video Card: nVidia 980
sound_card: Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC U3477PQU
Corel programs: Videostudio x10, PSP 2018

Postby rcoucou » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:44 pm

Hello
When importing video clips into the corel library
the ranking of the sequences is completely random
even if we choose the option classification by date, the order is not respected
if we classify by names it's ok
But during a video editing the important thing is to find the sequences in the order of captured sequences
defect which is very annoying especially when we have sequences from different cameras
yet in the windows directory it is easy to classify them by date and time of capture
and even if we paste the sequences in order thanks to a copied pasted windows files in corel library, the order changes
a real problem to find the order of sequences during a long edit :(

thank you for letting me know if there is a fix for this problem. :D

The problem is that the file dates in the Corel library do not include the time and minutes of the backup. Video files are thus classified by day only, but do not take into account the time (replaced in the second level by the name of the growing files).
If you have two different file types .mts and .mov examples generated by two different cameras the sequences will not be sorted by time but not only date the same photos .jpg
The only way is to introduce in the time line the different sequences in the order of the times recorded in the explorer windows, very laborious especially when other basic software make the classification hourly and per minute.
rcoucou

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: D
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1651 KBC Version 07.25
processor: Hewlett-Packard
ram: 6GB
Video Card: intel HD Graphics Family
sound_card: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 360
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AU Optronics 13,9 Monitor

Postby iNate » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:21 pm

Candive wrote:Video capture has changed over the years. People are now capturing more on their phones and Action cameras. The camcorder is really left to the die hard enthusiast. The new users are looking for a simple editor to spit out their short home and action videos to share online. Companies like Corel and Cyberlink, who are focused on this market segment, have catered to it to an extent - think Corel Fast Flicks. A couple of years ago it was all about 3D and now the focus is on Action and 360 dergee cameras. Cyberlink is on their third version of Action Director which is a separate product but included as a tool in Powerdirector. It didn't really invent anything new but consolidated a number of functions like lens correction, 360 video, stabilisation and white balance into one easy to use platform. The key is - "easy to use and fast turnaround" for this market segment. In VS 2018, Corel halfheartedly met the competition with a Lens/fisheye correction feature. Even though I have action camera, I didn't upgrade to VS 2018 because VS 10x already had a NewBlue Lens correction filter which works just fine. For action cameras, Video Studio can do everything Powerdirector can do but they missed the mark when it came to "easy to use and fast turnaround." Powerdirector just packaged their action camera functionality better than Corel.

Now the next evolution in Action camera video editing is telemetry. The cameras now have sensors such as GPS, compass, barometer, temperature and acceleration. This data can now be overlayed onto the videos in the form of customised gauges and graphs - very cool! Gopro and Garmin have rushed to market with their free video editing software that uses telemetry data. Gopro purchased a software company called Dashware to help them do it. I think the two are wasting their time because I am sure Cyberlink, to stay in the game, is working on the same thing for a multitude of devices; not just Gopros and Garmin Virbs. Companies like Gopro and Garmin are not video editing companies, their editors are basic and this is where Cyberlink has the edge. Its offering will be much more sophisticated. But I'm sure Gopro and Garmin won't care as long as they can sell more cameras - in fact they are probably looking for somone to take over the software side so they can devote resources back to the hardware.

So where does this leave Corel and Video Studio? In the Canadian cold! But there is hope. The best software for this type of video editing is RaceRender 3. Although it is great at telemetry, its still a basic video editor. I have been using this software in conjunction with VS. Basically I import the telemetry data and video into RaceRender. Synch the video and data. Green screen the gauges and export the gauges as a green screen video. Using VS, I import the a source video and the green screen video. The gauges are overlayed onto the source video for post processing.

To get back in the game, Corel should be knocking on RaceRender's door to develop a plugin before Cyberlink does - if they haven't already....

I disagree.

The camcorder is left to people who care about quality, and less about convenience. Because you don't want to record your wedding on an iPhone that spits out bad video quality compared to a P&S that costs 1/3rd the price.

Smartphones and Action Cameras are good for people who don't want to spend a few extra hundred on a better camera. Some Action cameras are expensive - you pay for quality. You won't get the same quality out of a $150 no-brand action camera that you would out of a top tier Go Pro. The same way your $1,249 iPhone XS Max 256GB will give AWFUL video and Photo Quality compared to a $1,299 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K.

Consumer market is full of people who don't care about quality, but I don't think you have to be an enthusiast to learn about the disparities in quality between consumer and Prosumer/Professional equipment, or prefer to use a better device to record your memories on (both Photo and Video).

People use their smartphones because "convenience," but the fact is that a $300 P&S is likely to deliver higher quality photos and videos - particularly in mixed and low lighting - than a $1,000 smartphone. They are also so small, these days, that portability and bulk is really not much of an excuse for not having one.
iNate

motherboard: ASUS GL503VD
processor: Intel i7-7700HQ
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 10xx
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS 1080p IPS LCD
Corel programs: PSPX9, VSX9 Pro, VS2018 (Refunded)

PreviousNext

Return to VideoStudio