NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Not supporting DNG is a *bug* - let me explain

Bugs & Suggestions

Re: Not supporting DNG is a *bug* - let me explain

Postby redlow » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:32 am

I have had an ongoing thread with support on this topic for the past week. Very frustrating. As a previous poster noted, I do not understand why Corel isn't trying to support this. I am one of the use cases .. a photography amateur who has used Lightroom for years and now, fed up with paying an ongoing subscription for lightroom and photoshop, turned to Aftershot. Of course, during this time I, like many others, converted all my RAW files unknowingly to DNG -- as it was the default option. Now, I find I can't move any of the thousands of images I have to Aftershot. HOW can they not want to gain customers from Adobe products?

I also agree that it is laziness... because the fact is... I can display and open my DNG files in Windows 10 native file explorer. I can also open the images in Corel Paintshop Pro. As others explained, I haven't actually found software that didn't support the format until now. Just create a plugin, and explain that XMP info isn't supported. It will still make the vast majority of us happy enough that we can switch platforms.

Anyway, I will open an enhancement request in feedback, and then go back to Lightroom as I sure am not converting those files back manually. :?
redlow

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Asus P79X
ram: 64GB
Video Card: NVidia Radeon
Corel programs: Aftershot 3, Paintshop Pro X9

Postby linuxphotog » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:18 am

I'll just chime in as another previous LightRoom user with thousands of Adobe DNGs. Even just a readonly way to see my existing library would be great. I can convert images to TIFF or something if I need to go back and edit them further, but it's way to much work (and additional space) to convert my whole library.
linuxphotog

operating_system: Linux

Postby dfms » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi,

I'm frustrated too. I have a Ricoh GXR and a SeaLife dc2000, both create images in DNG and I can not process them. Neither the photos of my iPhone (iOS 12) in that same format.

What I do not understand either is how on this page it is stated that DNG can be used ... https://www.aftershotpro.com/en/pages/dng-file/

For now, for me, AfterShot CAN NOT be a serious substitute for Ligthroom ...

Will this change or is it simply not going to be solved?
If it is not solved, I am afraid that I will look for other alternatives such as Luminar or ON1, among others.
dfms

operating_system: Mac
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 128GB
Corel programs: AfterShot Pro 3

Previous

Return to Bugs & Suggestions