NEW! PhotoMirage

For Your Information

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

For Your Information

Postby princess111 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:36 pm

For Every Ones Information:

This software will freeze or crash when you do something wrong. If it doesn't like what you just did it freezes or crashes on you in the middle of your work. I'm not trying to scare you. I'm warning you. In fact, that's how I know I've done something wrong.

I opened a jpeg file and the layer was a background. When I went to Effects/Texture Effects/Texture and choose brick wall and smoothness, from the options, it froze up. After testing PSP for hours, I found that the only way to fix this problem, was:

If I opened a jpeg file and wanted to apply texture effects, I copied the layer I wanted to apply the effects to, to the clipboard: 1) I choose: Edit/Copy, 2) while I was sill in my opened file, I choose: Edit/Paste As New Layer. 3) It pasted the layer into that same file as a raster layer. Now, I was able to apply different texture effects.
PhotoImpact 8, PhotoImpact X3, PaintShop Photo Pro X3, Adobe Photoshop Elements 9
princess111

operating_system: Windows XP Home
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Intel Corporation
processor: 2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
ram: 1.96 GB
Video Card: Intel G41 Express Chipset [Display adapter]
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 40 GB

Re: Duplicate Layer

Postby Tadjio » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:19 pm

princess111 wrote:For Every Ones Information:
If I opened a jpeg file and wanted to apply texture effects, I copied the layer I wanted to apply the effects to, to the clipboard: 1) I choose: Edit/Copy, 2) while I was sill in my opened file, I choose: Edit/Paste As New Layer. 3) It pasted the layer into that same file as a raster layer. Now, I was able to apply different texture effects.

Doesn't Menu Option Layers \ Duplicate do the same more simply?
Tadjio
PSP X7.2 Ultimate user
AfterShot Pro 2.1 ASPirant
Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro
Canon EOS 100D, Olympus E-PM1 & iPhone 6
Tadjio

operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte
processor: Core i7 2.8GHz 860
ram: 8GB
Video Card: ATI HD5570
sound_card: Sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.5TB

Re: For Your Information

Postby Ron P. » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:41 pm

There's also the Promote Background to Layer option. Just right-click on the background layer and you'll see these menu options.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Re: Promote Layer

Postby Tadjio » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Ron P. wrote:There's also the Promote Background to Layer option. Just right-click on the background layer and you'll see these menu options.

Indeed. How many cats do we have to skin?
That's the beauty of PSP :wink:
Tadjio
PSP X7.2 Ultimate user
AfterShot Pro 2.1 ASPirant
Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro
Canon EOS 100D, Olympus E-PM1 & iPhone 6
Tadjio

operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
motherboard: Gigabyte
processor: Core i7 2.8GHz 860
ram: 8GB
Video Card: ATI HD5570
sound_card: Sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.5TB

Postby princess111 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Ron P.:

In this case, I did try the Promote Background to Layer option and right-clicked on the background layer and it created a new raster layer which froze up when I tried to apply texture to it after creating it in this way.

Thanks
PhotoImpact 8, PhotoImpact X3, PaintShop Photo Pro X3, Adobe Photoshop Elements 9
princess111

Postby Ron P. » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:11 pm

How large are the photos that you're working on? You're system specs show that you have plenty of horsepower, unless you have a lot of other processes running at the same time. Even if you have 2 gig of RAM, it looks like you only have 40 gig HDD. How much of that is free space? When a program like PSPP exceeds the RAM allocation, it then will use virtual RAM or swap-disc. If you're getting crowded for HDD space, or the drive is very fragmented it can cause things to hang up.

Photos or graphic images can get to be rather large, and for the programs to work with them, they need plenty of RAM and free space. PSPP X3 has been noted for not freeing up memory even when closed. I think that service pack#3 was suppose to fix it, but like some of the other things that were to be corrected and were not, this may be one.

I've been using a program called Diskeeper to keep my drives defragmented. It works in the background, or I can do a manual defrag. Anyway I think that there's something going on with your system that is causing the program to freeze up so easily. I've tried what you describe on my WinXP machine, and had absolutely no problem. No freezing, or even slowing down. What I will say is that my setup involves multiple hard-drives. I have working folders setup on drives other than my main program drive (C:). That way the workload (read/write) is shared between drives, instead of one drive doing it all.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Postby princess111 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Ron P.:

My setup involves multiple hard-drives - too. I have working folders setup on a drive other than my main program drive (C:) - too. I have both a 40 GB (C:) drive, which is my main program drive and an 10 GB (E:) drive which is where I have my work stored.

Thanks
princess111

Postby teknisyan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:04 am

Hello princess111,

Have you tried resetting your workspace? You can hold down the SHIFT key then double click on the PSP icon then when the message that looks like the screenshot below appears click on OK.
Reset PSPX3.jpg
Reset PSPX3.jpg (24.04 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Like reading blogs?
About Tech
About Sports
Pnoy.Me - A URL Shortener
Follow me on Facebook & Twitter
teknisyan

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: Sony Corporation VAIO
processor: Intel Corel i5
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
sound_card: Realtek HD Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB

Postby princess111 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:40 am

Hey Abiel Corel NA:

I have reset my workspace to default before and after this problem. It didn't help. However, I didn't know that, I could hold down the SHIFT key then double click on the PSP icon then when the message appears click on OK. I just tried this. It closes the application if you use the left mouse button and gives you a shortcut menu if you use the right mouse button.

Thanks
princess111

Postby princess111 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Hey Ron P.: :?

Ron P. wrote:How large are the photos that you're working on? You're system specs show that you have plenty of horsepower, unless you have a lot of other processes running at the same time. Even if you have 2 gig of RAM, it looks like you only have 40 gig HDD. How much of that is free space? When a program like PSPP exceeds the RAM allocation, it then will use virtual RAM or swap-disc. If you're getting crowded for HDD space, or the drive is very fragmented it can cause things to hang up.

Photos or graphic images can get to be rather large, and for the programs to work with them, they need plenty of RAM and free space. PSPP X3 has been noted for not freeing up memory even when closed. I think that service pack#3 was suppose to fix it, but like some of the other things that were to be corrected and were not, this may be one.

I've been using a program called Diskeeper to keep my drives defragmented. It works in the background, or I can do a manual defrag. Anyway I think that there's something going on with your system that is causing the program to freeze up so easily. I've tried what you describe on my WinXP machine, and had absolutely no problem. No freezing, or even slowing down. What I will say is that my setup involves multiple hard-drives. I have working folders setup on drives other than my main program drive (C:). That way the workload (read/write) is shared between drives, instead of one drive doing it all.

I forgot to mention that I run Auslogics Disk Defrag daily and that I have 24 GB of HD space free.

Thanks
princess111

Postby LeviFiction » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:19 pm

I wouldn't do it daily, over writing to the harddrive is actually bad for it. Once a week should be more than sufficient for you.

But I couldn't replicate your findings so I have nothing to worry about. XD
LeviFiction
Advisor

Corel programs: PSP (Installed): XI, X7, X8,X9

Postby princess111 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:58 am

Hey LeviFiction:

LeviFiction wrote:I wouldn't do it daily, over writing to the harddrive is actually bad for it. Once a week should be more than sufficient for you.

But I couldn't replicate your findings so I have nothing to worry about. XD

What do you mean by your second statement?

Thanks
princess111

Postby LeviFiction » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:29 am

Just taking a fun jab at when you said "I'm not trying to scare you." Since I don't experience this problem, I don't worry. XD

I mean in most cases, especially if you have the script window open, you'll see an error when you do something that Paint Shop Pro doesn't like unless it's an error that the developers weren't prepared for. I don't remember the exact steps but I was trying to run a filter on a selection that wasn't setup to run on selections and because I had been testing scripts earlier I had the script window open, when running the filter it produced an error in the script window rather than a message box telling me it won't work. It told me exactly why it wasn't going to work.

So in point of fact I've never had the crashing experience for doing something that Paint Shop Pro didn't like. I've only experienced the crash when I did something that was buggy to begin with, or something that they were never prepared for me to do.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Corel programs: PSP (Installed): XI, X7, X8,X9

Postby princess111 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:43 am

Hey LeviFiction:

LeviFiction wrote:So in point of fact I've never had the crashing experience for doing something that Paint Shop Pro didn't like. I've only experienced the crash when I did something that was buggy to begin with, or something that they were never prepared for me to do.

That's a good point. Maybe I'm doing something that they were never prepared for me to do - too.

Thanks
princess111

Return to Paint Shop Pro