NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Skipping first video clip as a montion menu

Skipping first video clip as a montion menu

Postby welchb » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:24 pm

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted or answered (not sure if that's good or bad) but still have a read of this board which is ever helpful...... anyway.....

VS9 question please.

Just finishing a small project and I've created a small (30 sec) compliation clip of the content of the longer video.

I want to use this compliation clip the motion menu when I create the DVD but don't then want to play the 1st clip/video.

Does anyone know if I can do this with VS9

Would appreciate the help ?

Cheers,

Brian
welchb

Postby BrianCee » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:20 pm

Hi Brian

If I understand what you want correctly - just do not import your small compilation clip into the "Create Disc" timeline - only put the video you want thumbnails of in there, - DO NOT check the "use first clip as introductory video" box - then after you have clicked on "Next" and get to the window where you set up your DVD menu , under the preview screen click on "Background" and choose "Select a background Video for this menu" - you can then browse to your compilation video and select it and then click 'open' - that should give you your compilation video playing behind the thumbnails.

Don't forget to set the duration immediately under the preview screen to the length of your compilation or else it may get chopped or give you a black background depending on whether you set to short or to long. (this will also affect the length of time the thumbnails show before resetting to the beginning again)
BrianCee

Postby welchb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:15 am

Hi Brian,

I did post earlier but not sure this updated so apoligies if this dupes.

Anyway, not sure this is quite what I want.

I actually want the compliation to play within the "montion menu" and not as part of the background.

I will check out what you say in case I've missed the point but I have a picutre as background and music on the menu and only want the thumbnail menu showing the highlights of whats about to follow.

When the uses press's play I then want the main video to play and the complation is skipped.

I'm thinking that perhaps VS9 does not have this capability and perhaps I need something like Ulead's DVD workshop ?

If you or someone can assist further I would be garetful.

Thanks,

Brian
welchb

Postby BrianCee » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:48 am

No I don't think you can do that in VideoStudio - if you put your compilation at the beginning of the video so that it plays in the thumbnail then when the viewer presses play they will see the compilation first before the main event.

Hopefully some one knows different ?
BrianCee

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:56 am

welchb wrote:I'm thinking that perhaps VS9 does not have this capability and perhaps I need something like Ulead's DVD workshop ?

I believe you are correct -- DVD WS 2.x will allow you to drop your small video onto the menu thumbnail to become the motion for that thumbnail...

Regards,
George
GeorgeW

Postby sjj1805 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:50 pm

GeorgeW is correct, it cannot be done with Video Studio and can be done with DVD Workshop.
There is an explanation here of how I use a thumbnail other than the one which is the start of the chapter concerned.

http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtopic.php?t=10900

It uses a small easy to use program named Menu Edit
http://www.dimadsoft.com/menuedit/

Briefly using DVD Workshop you create your DVD but burn it to the hard drive, make some small and easy alterations with Menu Edit then burn to DVD with your favourite burning software.

Steve J
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:59 pm

I can't try it at the moment, but I believe Ulead included a new function in MovieFactory 4.0 that allows you to have a motion button, but start the motion at a different section than the chapter mark. I wonder if they included that function in VideoStudio 9's Authoring program :?:

I'll try it later tonight...

The OP wanted to use an entirely different clip as the motion button -- I don't think menuedit will let you do that -- but it might be possible to do it in DVDRemake Pro...

I agree -- that program (menuedit) is a neat utility :)

Regards,
George
GeorgeW

Postby sjj1805 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:57 pm

GeorgeW
I've just taken a brief look through Movie Factory 4 and also VS9 but cannot see an option to play a thumbnail from anywhere other than the start.

To do what I suggested with MenuEdit you have to include text below (or wherever you prefer) the thumbnail. the thumbnail can be his looping video. You link the real chapter to the text, now create the DVD.

You then use MenuEdit to remove the button effect of the thumbnail.
You then end up with a motion thumbnail (That cannot be selected) but the text next to it acts as the link to the correct chapter.

Regards

Steve J
sjj1805

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:33 pm

sjj1805 wrote:GeorgeW
I've just taken a brief look through Movie Factory 4 and also VS9 but cannot see an option to play a thumbnail from anywhere other than the start.

To do what I suggested with MenuEdit you have to include text below (or wherever you prefer) the thumbnail. the thumbnail can be his looping video. You link the real chapter to the text, now create the DVD.

You then use MenuEdit to remove the button effect of the thumbnail.
You then end up with a motion thumbnail (That cannot be selected) but the text next to it acts as the link to the correct chapter.

Regards

Steve J

I thought the "different start position thumbnail" function was added to MF4DC -- I'll check tonight (I could be getting my authoring packages mixed up)

I misunderstood what you were doing with menuedit. I get it now. Like you said in your other post, you would need DWS or some other package that allows assigning the buttons to specific scenes...

But if you had that functionality (like in DWS), you could just plop your small video onto the thumbnail, and skip the menuedit step completely...

Regards,
George
GeorgeW

Postby Ken Berry » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:42 pm

You most definitely can start your menu animated playback at any chosen point within the video in MF4, whereas, with VS9, the menu always starts at the beginning of the video regardless of where you think you have moved the 'selector' to... I have been using MF since version 2, and its more sophisiticated menu building, including this specific feature, is one reason I keep buying the upgrades...! (In fact, I thought this feature was added in MF3, but I could be wrong and have it confused with a third party program I was using at the time which also allows fully selectable start points for animated menu icons...)
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:01 pm

Thanks Ken, I thought that function was in MF4. I remember testing for Ulead, and talking about that specific option :)

But then I started second guessing myself... They say the mind is the 2nd thing to go...

What's the first thing to go you might ask??? I don't remember (baddabump...)

Regards,
George
GeorgeW

Postby sjj1805 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:43 pm

Ken (Or George)
Obviously I use DVD Workshop 2 for creating my DVDs but when I saw the query I opened up Movie Factory 4 Disc Creator to have a poke around.

I still can't find a way to set the thumbnail start position to somewhere other than the actual start. For the benefit of those without the luxury of Workshop 2 could you perhaps explain how to do it.

I found "Change Thumbnail" in the add/edit chapter part, but that's only good for a still menu. With motion it still played the actual chapter.

Regards
Steve J
sjj1805

Postby Ken Berry » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:24 pm

It's not too different from what you do in VS9. I open MF4, use Add Media to put in the files I want to burn, making sure 'Create Menu' is ticked. Then click Next. On the next page, I can choose my menu template from the selection along the bottom, and my separate videos appear as icons on the preview screen. I simply double click on a screen icon, and another little preview screen pops up with a slider below it. This is labelled, logically enough 'Start Position' :lol: . You drag this slider to the point in the video where you want the animation to start in the final menu, then click OK and the icon face in the preview screen then changes to that scene. You can do much the same thing in VS9, the big difference being that in VS9, the pop-up screen is really no more than a preview screen, and always reverts to the first frame in the final menu.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby sjj1805 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:31 pm

Ken,

I tried everything, right click and search all the available options, never tried double click! Many thanks. I bet plenty of others using Movie Factory 4 are unaware.

George, How about moving this over to the Tutorials and I shall tidy it up a bit.

Regards
Steve J
Tutorials Moderator.
sjj1805

Postby Ken Berry » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:33 pm

Hey Steve, I just noticed your new title!! Congratulations and well deserved!!! :lol: :!: :!: :!:
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin