NEW! PhotoMirage

A different freeze problem.

Postby AlexM » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:04 pm

sjj1805 wrote:
AlexM wrote:Hi Thoff,

I don't especially want to capture in AVI, it just seems to be the only choice.
If I get Huffyuv, how do I incorporate it into VS9?

Thanks

Alex

Please view From Camcorder to DVD

Thanks sjj,
Is there some section in there about Huffyuv? I have no problem downloading from my Camcorder to my computer, my problem is dowloading from my VCR to my computer.
AlexM

Postby sjj1805 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:34 pm

Sorry but I haven't included the Huffyuv codec in that article.
I used a Hauppauge TV card to get my VHS into the computer but it only does so in MPEG.
Create DVD from Hauppauge TV Card
It is of course preferable to capture in one of the AVI formats such as DV or as suggested above Huffyuv.

Did your Conexant Falcon TV card come with some capture software.
I have found that capturing with WinTV2000 - the native software for my Hauppauge Card provides more flexibility when capturing than the Ulead Software.

Once captured to the hard drive you can then use your Ulead software for your editing/authoring needs.
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby AlexM » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:03 am

Tbe Conextant Falcon came with the computer and Window Movie Maker is the software. It captures the video but I can't then import it into VS9 to edit
it, as explained earlier.
AlexM

Postby sjj1805 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:00 am

AlexM
Sorry if you've already written somewhere how you're then saving/exporting from Windows Movie maker but the thread is getting a bit like spaghetti and I'm having to jump from post to post.

Could you look at this reply I gave to another user to see if you're doing it this way:
http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtopic. ... 8038#68038
sjj1805

Postby Black Lab » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:24 am

I was aware of those connections but only one is in and that is an ilink DV. I know the camera will digitize it but see no way to hook the AV outlets to the ilink cable, unless someone make a converter cable. I may just go out a but a new VCR. This project has gotten very expensive.

I have a Sony camcorder (not your model though) and it came with a cable for the composite audio/video in/out. You may want to check with Sony, or even Radio Shack. Cheaper than a new VCR.
Last edited by Black Lab on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lab

operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Postby AlexM » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:52 pm

I checked on the internet. My model will not do pass through.
AlexM

Postby AlexM » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:58 pm

sjj1805 wrote:AlexM
Sorry if you've already written somewhere how you're then saving/exporting from Windows Movie maker but the thread is getting a bit like spaghetti and I'm having to jump from post to post.

Could you look at this reply I gave to another user to see if you're doing it this way:
http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtopic. ... 8038#68038

Hi ssj, that page seems to still be about camcorder transfers. I have no problem doing that, my problem is with transfering from a VCR.
AlexM

Postby sjj1805 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:30 pm

Alex.

You have said that you are capturing from your Conexant Falcon TV card using Windows Movie Maker. The Individual post I linked to in that thread explained how to save that capture into a format that can be opened with VideoStudio.
sjj1805

Postby AlexM » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:01 pm

I must be dense.
Are you refering to this?
egarding Windows Movie Maker
1. Start windows Movie Maker
2. Turn on your camcorder.
3. A message box appears asking you to specify where to save the video.
4. A second box appears asking about quality settings.
Select "Other Settings" then DV AVI (PAL) or if your in an NTSC Region I suspect you would see DV AVI (NTSC)
now just follow the screen prompts.

If so, I guessed that I could substitute VCR for camcorder in step 2. When I push play, no message box appears in Windows Movie Maker. I can select Capture Video but the window that comes up has no choices that you mention in step 3 or 4.
AlexM

Postby sjj1805 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:37 pm

Alex.

You said that you are capturing with Windows Movie Maker.
My Hauppauge card does not work with Windows Movie Maker.

However we will soldier on......

In what format are you saving the file captured by Windows Movie Maker

From above wrote:3. A message box appears asking you to specify where to save the video.
Select "Other Settings" then DV AVI (PAL) or if your in an NTSC Region I suspect you would see DV AVI (NTSC)

If this does not appear when you do your capture then I don't think I can help any further because as I said my Hauppauge card isn't detected by WMM.
sjj1805

Postby sjj1805 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:55 pm

Alex,
Perhaps this link may be of some use?
http://www.tv-cards.com/messageboard/vi ... hp?t=10961
sjj1805

Postby AlexM » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:30 pm

sjj1805 wrote:Alex.

You said that you are capturing with Windows Movie Maker.
My Hauppauge card does not work with Windows Movie Maker.

However we will soldier on......

In what format are you saving the file captured by Windows Movie Maker

From above wrote:3. A message box appears asking you to specify where to save the video.

If this does not appear when you do your capture then I don't think I can help any further because as I said my Hauppauge card isn't detected by WMM.

Thanks for the try Steve, we gave it our best shot.
AlexM

Postby Ken Berry » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:34 pm

To add my bit to the spaghetti, :lol: , the cross-thread cited by Steve and which you quoted about capturing with WMM, is not strictly relevant to your case -- I think, but see my last para below. AFAIK, WMM will only capture in DV format if the source is digital. Your VCR is of course analogue so unless the Connexant device is hard wired to convert an incoming analogue signal into a digital signal on the fly, WMM will only be able to capture in WMV format. And WMV can of course be a problematic format for VS to edit and output to. :cry: But again, see my last para below.

You would, of course, have received the DV message if your VCR was connected to your Sony camera as a passthrough, but as you say, the Sony is not rated for that. Pity. I also have a Sony (DCR-TRV480E) which I bought specifically for its capacity to playback my 8mm analogue tapes (and Hi8) over firewire as a digital DV signal. But it also acts as a passthrough device. Unfortunately, only a small number of Sony's Digital 8 collection seem to do this.

***EDIT***:Anyway, I have now looked up the Conexant Falcon chipset capture device. I think you have the Falcon 2 chipset from the code you gave in one of your earlier posts in this thread. If so, it is most definitely hard wired to be able to capture full D1 size and quality DVD-compatible mpeg-2. To quote from the website:
"The MCE2005 certified PG600 Falcon2 features:

DVD Quality MPEG2 Recorder:

Real-time MPEG2 hardware compression as Full D1 DVD quality
Capture video from TV cable/antenna, Camcorder, DVD player, and Digital TV set-top box
Digital video recording in DVD, SVCD, VCD, MPEG2, and MPEG1 format
High quality video encode (from 1 Mbits/sec to 15 Mbits/sec)".

So I am surprised that you don't appear to be able to set it to capture in this format. Have you tried to change the format manually by going into VS Tools > Change Capture Plug-In to mpeg? If not, try that and then try a capture.

To quote further from the website of the Taiwanese company that released the Conexant card: "With this product, you can Watch Live TV and Record TV to Microsoft® Windows ® XP Media Center Edition 2005 (MCE2005) You may also turn your Home Video into DVD, SVCD, VCD, MPEG 2, and MPEG 1 files. You may watch & record the TV programs wherever you are simply by using our ... remote control."

The site includes a photo of the card beside an MCE screen, so obviously there is a setting within MCE itself which allows it to capture in mpeg-2. Unfortunately, I don't use MCE so cannot offer any advice on what you might need to use, activate or tweak to do this.

***FURTHER EDIT***: You might also want to look at this thread as it mentions another format recorded by MCE and which is compatible with VS10+. As I said, I am not familiar with MCE, but this sounds as though it might potentially be very helpful to you. Indeed, you might want to contact the original poster of that thread for advice on how to capture in that format: http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtopic. ... 0716#70716
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 28" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby AlexM » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:44 pm

Ken, I tried that and came up with this message.
"mpeg capture does not accept CXF2 codec. Please select a suitable codec from the video format file list. It is recommended to use (1) YUV codec first and then (2) RGB-24 codec"

I didn't find those choices on the list. I called tech support at Ulead and he told me if they weren't on the list then they weren't supported on my Conexant Falcon. He also said if MPEG would be lesser quality for the program. He said if I could import it uncompressed and edit it then save it as a compressed file it would be better
Somehow, earlier, in fiddling around this afternoon I managed to import a short clip from the VCR in Windows Media (TM) format and it showed up in the library. I don't remember how I did it and so far have not been able to repeat it. So Window Media works but Windows Movie clips don't.
I have to walk away form this for a few hours, it's driving me crazy.
AlexM

Postby Ken Berry » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:56 pm

Well, I can only suggest that you contact that other poster who has apparently managed to capture, using MCE, in a format which I confess I had never heard of (and which is native to MCE) but which can be opened in Video Studio.

BTW, while the Ulead tech was correct about possibly better quality if you captured uncompressed video (i.e. AVI, which you have already tried), if you can capture in full DVD-compatible mpeg-2, the quality would still be excellent. The jury is out on how much editing you can do to such video, but a reasonable amount of editing, keeping the quality levels/bitrate high, and not using Smart Render, suggest you should be able to get an excellent DVD from it. Of course, this will be subject to the quality of the original analogue source material.

If this other person cannot help you, then by all means lash out and spend the $129 on the direct DV capture device... :lol: And buck up, neither life nor video editing were meant to be easy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB