NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

VS 2019 Bugs so far

VS 2019 Bugs so far

Postby Lift » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:27 am

Just a compilation of bugs and problematic features (or lack of) that I've run into so far in this version or that have existed since prior versions. (I've been using VS since version 5 or so.)

Relink checking gets stuck in endless loops. After I tell it not to relink, it shouldn't ask me again for that clip. But instead it asks me for every clip and it does so each time I select anything, so you have to turn off relink checking completely in order to even be able to use the program with an unlinked item.

Setting a timelapse on the top video track moves the clip to a completely different place in the timeline, way earlier and overlapping other clips.

"Corrupted files cannot be dropped" randomly happens when trying to move a clip within the timeline, or trying to drop in video files. It can happen one time with a particular file and then not happen other times with the same file.

Hardware acceleration for h.265 with CUDA usually crashes, and if it succeeds the video quality is atrocious and the file size is far bigger than software render. (I have a GTX 1070.)

Selecting a clip on one track and grouped things elsewhere causes a crash to desktop with no message (has been happening since at least X9 or X10.)

zoom in/out with cursor off-screen, rips your view back to the cursor! (This needs to behave like zoom in PSP where your cursor becomes the center of zooming.)

Ability to watch preview in various speeds (to find key locations etc)

Ability to fine tune volume keypoints is sorely needed. (The difference between full volume and mute is about four pixels, and about half a millimeter of mouse movement. And the volume slider is useless when you have multiple tracks. You have to spend way too much time just re-selecting clips to make each and every adjustment.)

Ability to copy/paste a clip or group of clips from one project to another (by reference.) For example I have a list of patrons that I have to update often, and many templates for different video series, so I have to make all of the same edits individually in multiple projects, or mess around with creating "instant project" pieces and then dragging them into another project, which is also a time-suck.

Moving a clip or group of clips, I'd like to be able to align the ends (either start or finish) of them with the simple "snap" operation that happens when you are changing the length of a clip and there's a chapter point nearby. Instead I have to zoom in several times, and meanwhile each time I zoom it re-snaps my cursor and view position to the beginning of the clip while I'm trying to align the end, so I have to zoom back out, move over, zoom back in, adjust clips, zoom back out, re-adjust cursor again, zoom back in, etc.

Edit to add:

Ability to timelapse at > 10x. I often use up to 100x and have to render twice to do so, which also involves setting start/end points (and then unsetting afterward) and dropping in the new file (and hoping it doesn't tell me I can't drop it)
Lift

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: i7 4GHz
ram: 32GB
Video Card: Nvidia 1070
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 7TB
Corel programs: VS X7+, PSP since 1997

Re: VS 2019 Bugs so far

Postby tletter » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:33 am

Lift wrote:Just a compilation of bugs and problematic features

Any good features or legacy bugs that have been fixed?

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
tletter

processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Postby Lift » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:19 am

Also, it would be great to be able to vertically magnify the wav data display. Often I use sound events to locate key points in a recorded video. Sometimes it's quiet and I can't see the sound because the wav display is so tiny. Turning up the volume for that clip doesn't change the wav display, and I end up having to export the audio, amplify it in audacity, and re-import as a separate track just so I can find what I was looking for.

tletter wrote:
Lift wrote:Just a compilation of bugs and problematic features

Any good features or legacy bugs that have been fixed?

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter

Yeah, they finally added the ability to crop in the preview window instead of that awful crop/border thing in the FX.

I also like that you can delete something from the top track without it filling in the gaps automatically. (Though it's broken now and you also can't switch it back to the auto-fill-gaps way, which is also useful.)

And the H.265 rendering (which was also in VS2018) is really handy since I can make videos 1/3rd of the size with no loss of quality.
Lift

Postby Lift » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:52 pm

- No way to move small clips, you end up grabbing one end or the other, so you have to zoom in, grab it, move and hope the auto-scroll doesn't zip you past it, or zoom in, move clip to other side of screen, zoom out, slide your timeline over, zoom in, move clip, repeat ad nauseum.

- Related to the above it would be very useful to be able to zoom in/out while dragging something.

- New cropping feature: if you use a border (in the effect/overlay) the cropping will crop out those parts of the border.

- Also, when resizing after cropping you should be able to resize based on the cropped result. As it is, your resize handles are based on the pre-cropped area so you can only guess how large the visible part will be when you resize. This also leads to problems with not being able to bring the handles past the edge of the window, so you have to move the clip, resize, move it back to see if it fits where you were trying to put it, repeat.
Lift

Postby leszektrojanowski » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:01 pm

I've had an issue with a cursor with turned into a vertical line with an arrow at each end. I wasn't able to highlight any clips within the timeline, however I was able to work with a cursor outside the timeline.

I have tried to raise a ticket with Technical Support, but gave up after a few days. In the end, I have asked for a full refund.
leszektrojanowski

processor: Intel Core i7 8550U CPU at 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
ram: 8GB
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Family
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio Device
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: VS 2019 Ultimate

Postby lata » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:35 pm

leszektrojanowski wrote:I've had an issue with a cursor with turned into a vertical line with an arrow at each end. I wasn't able to highlight any clips within the timeline, however I was able to work with a cursor outside the timeline.

I have tried to raise a ticket with Technical Support, but gave up after a few days. In the end, I have asked for a full refund.

This issue has been raised with Corel, so they should be aware, thank you for the conformation off this problem

Hopefully the next service pack should fix things

I cannot blame you for asking for a refund.

Keep in mind that a service patch could / should fix video studio, hopefully soon
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby Lift » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:38 am

The interface for entering numbers is terrible too. For example I go into the timelapse window and I want to change a clip from 39 seconds to 12 seconds. I can't just erase the 39 and then type in 12. When I do that, it tries to parse the number before I hit OK, refuses to accept it, and changes it back to the 39. If I try to select the 39 and type 12 over top of it, as soon as I enter the "1" it immediately "corrects" my "mistake" and changes my input again. Basically the only way I can do it is to first select the 3, and type over a 1, and then select the 9 and type over it with a 2. Or I have to first add in a minute, type in the 12, then take the minute back out. I shouldn't have to trick the interface to do an ordinary task like this. (And yes you can also shift+drag to change the length, but good luck getting it to the right frame without spending 10 minutes zooming in/out ad scrolling because of aforementioned "can't zoom while doing anything" combined with "rip your viewpoint to another spot because you zoomed in/out" functionality.)
Lift

Postby lata » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:22 am

Hi
Setting speed timelapse clip durations can be a little annoying but has been the same for many a version not new to 2019.

Selecting the number and delete just throws an error.

I tend to highlight the whole number then type, seems to work each time, tab key can be used to move through the clock
For small adjustments I select a box then click the up down arrows
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Postby Lift » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:09 am

lata wrote:Hi
Setting speed timelapse clip durations can be a little annoying but has been the same for many a version not new to 2019.

Thanks, I specified in the OP that this also includes old things that have been annoying for many versions. :)

lata wrote:Selecting the number and delete just throws an error.

I tend to highlight the whole number then type, seems to work each time, tab key can be used to move through the clock
For small adjustments I select a box then click the up down arrows

It depends on the number, how long the clip is, and how much you are trying to speed it up. If you're going from 59 seconds to 12, the 1000% limit is 5.9 seconds. So as soon as you type "1" as in 12, it determines that 1 is less than the allowed 5 second minimum (which is a whole other annoying topic) and so it "corrects" you by changing it back to a 5. If you aren't looking and keep typing, you've now entered 52.

The thing is, it's not like it applies any of these changes to your timeline or the video before you click the Ok or Preview buttons, so there is no reason to validate the textbox input while the user is still typing. This same function could simply be called by those two events instead of the keystroke/textchange event.

To be more specific about my use here, I'm typically not making small adjustments, I have a 12 second time slot allocated for my standard outro in my videos. I record some amount, sometimes only 12 seconds, but anywhere up to a couple of minutes to give the viewer a sense of continuation/completion (depending on context) of whatever I'm doing at the end of the video (and often providing continuity or setup for the next episode.)
Lift

Postby pepegota » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:15 pm

New Bug with update: Cursor does not move to END or Home in timeline mode but, it moves in storyboard mode. See attachments.
Attachments
timeline.jpg
Timeline mode
storyboard.jpg
Storyboard mode
pepegota

motherboard: ASUS Prime H370 - Plus
processor: Intel i7 - 8700
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GT 1030
sound_card: On board sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Ben Q, "21" LCD
Corel programs: VS 2018

Postby lata » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:40 pm

pepegota wrote:New Bug with update: Cursor does not move to END or Home in timeline mode but, it moves in storyboard mode. See attachments.

what are you using to move from end to beginning
I used the navigation controls ( for want of a better description) below the preview screen and worked with no issues.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Postby canuck » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:13 pm

pepegota wrote:New Bug with update: Cursor does not move to END or Home in timeline mode but, it moves in storyboard mode. See attachments.

Both of you images are of the Timeline mode
canuck

operating_system: Windows 8.1

Postby pepegota » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:18 pm

The storyboard mode was changed to timeline to see. The action was in storyboard mode. It's the Home and End key that are not working properly.
Also, navigation gets to the end but, the timeline does not follow with the cursor as in the bottom image above..
pepegota

Postby lata » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:32 pm

Are you using the Keyboard Home and End keys Or using the navigation controls below the preview screen
Floating the mouse over the buttons will show Home and End, to the right of the play button

Both keyboard and the Video Studio buttons work for me.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Postby pepegota » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:37 pm

Both are used. However, the timeline does not follow as it does for me in 2018. I have to use the scubber at the bottom of the screen.
My work around is to go into storyboard mode. Then it works. Timeline NO. I am hoping a reinstall will work.

A reinstall solved the problem!!!
Last edited by pepegota on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pepegota