NEW! PhotoMirage

Paint Shop Pro Vs Photoshop

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

Paint Shop Pro Vs Photoshop

Postby AnD4D » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:00 pm

I'm a Photoshop user, but found I was using it less and less, and wasn't a fan of having to pay monthly for a product I wasn't using. I remembered that I'd bought Paint Shop Pro a while back, so cancelled my subscription, installed PSP and upgraded to the 2018 Ultimate version.

I'm currently unsure whether or not I'm struggling to use PSP due to being used to Photoshop, but it does a few things I just don't understand. For example:

1) when I try to bevel an object to make it look a bit more 3D, I'm only able to extrude it 5 pixels minimum. I'm working on an image that's only 30 pixels across, and when I apply the bevel, the image turns darker. In order to get it to look the way I want, I have to make the object larger, apply the bevel, then scale the image down to the 30x30pixels.

2) If I want to add an outline to an object, in Photoshop I just access the layer properties and apply a stroke. In PSP, from what I've been able to establish, I have to use the select tool around the object, invert the selection, expand the selection by whatever pixels I want, then fill it in with black. Just to confirm, Photoshop = 2 steps, and can easily adjust the outline with a click of a button even waaaaay after its creation. PSP = 5 steps, and once you move onto other aspects or even save/reload, you have to select the outline layer and redo it from scratch.

3) In Photoshop, if I have an object that's outside the boundaries of my canvas, I can select it in my layers window, then click and drag within my canvas to move it around. In PSP, I have to actually click on the object I want to move. So if I select an object within my layout, then click and drag elsewhere, if I happen to click on a different object, that'll start moving around instead. Very annoying. Also, if an object is outside the boundaries, even if I click on where it is, I can no longer interact with it using the "Move" tool, meaning I have to select the "Pick" tool, and then make sure I click on the centre point to move it around.

I understand that PSP is trying to be its own thing, but when something becomes efficient, it quickly becomes industry standard. Having to jump through hoops just to do what I used to do with ease in Photoshop is kind of making me regret cancelling my subscription and upgrading to PSP. Especially when PSP's own marketing appears to announce that it's now easier to use than Photoshop.

Can anyone help me on the above? Is it that I'm simply missing a few things? The outline issue, I've actually been searching online for such things, and people are giving the selection tutorial as though it's the best thing since sliced bread (couldn't be easier!). Sure, it's easy, but it's significantly more complicated and time consuming when compared to clicking a button and changing a number.
AnD4D

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: Paint Shop Pro Vs Photoshop

Postby AnD4D » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Also having issues with simple things such as changing a shape's colour. I placed down a square, and it set it up as a red s
AnD4D

Postby Radim » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Wellcome on board of ship called PainShop Pro? :D There is a section about requirements and here is(are?) also Corel staff(s) moving around.. So try to catch his eye.

New release of PSP 2019 is comming in a few months (end of Aug 2018?) and it will be VEEERY NICE to have solved all problems you clearly described.

So, never give up! 8)
Last edited by Radim on Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radim

operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby bruce1951 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Unlearning old 'habits' is just as difficult as learning a new program. Just because something doesn't work the same doesn't mean it's not as good!
I jumped to Photoline for 90% of my work. PSP is my backup. Initially I used a lot of naughty words coming to grips with Photoline.
Stick at it and it will work out. Mostly!!!!!!

Bruce
bruce1951

operating_system: Windows 8.1
ram: 8gb

Postby LeviFiction » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 pm

#1 - If you want to use the layer effect, sadly that is a limitation that Corel has programmed in. No getting around it. If you don't mind a more destructive effect you can use the Inner Bevel or Outer Bevel commands in the Effects Menu under 3D effects.

#2 - PSP does not have a stroke option. So workarounds are our best bet. However, this is where scripts can come in handy....maybe. Depending on the common situation you may not even have to make the selection yourself. If you Select All (Ctrl + A) then Float the selection ("Ctrl + F" ) delete the new floating selection layer, the selection will automatically fit any object on the layer. But if your layer has multiple objects you'll need to separate it out. The whole layer selection and addition of a border can be scripted for a single press. Still won't be a layer effect. The closest we have to the stroke layer effect is the outerglow option. :P Which is definitely not what you want.

#3 - If you're using the move tool you can hold SHIFT and click anywhere on the canvas to move the layer you don't have to be on the layer. If you don't hold SHIFT it'll move whatever object you are touching. Technically this is meant to make it easier as you don't have to select the layer first. But, if one layer is underneath another you can select that layer in the layers palette, hold SHIFT and move only that layer. Or, as in your case, an image out of bounds.

#4 - Vector shapes in PSP are actually pretty easy once you get used to them. The fastest ways to change colors for vector shapes is to have a vector tool with the "edit mode" activated on the tool options palette. Then simply select the foreground and background colors. Foreground is stroke, background is fill. You can also do this with the pick tool. Or you can go to the layers palette, open up the object's properties an change the colors there.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Corel programs: PSP (Installed): XI, X7, X8,X9

Postby jayson1945 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Radim wrote:Wellcome on board of ship called PainShop Pro? :D There is a section about requirements and here is(are?) also Corel stuff(s) moving around.. So try to catch his eye.

Translation please someone?
jayson1945

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
processor: Intel Core i-5 3.2Ghz
ram: 4GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ
Corel programs: PSP X2, X4, X7, PSP 2018,

Postby Radim » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:47 pm

jayson1945 wrote:
Radim wrote:Wellcome on board of ship called PainShop Pro? :D There is a section about requirements and here is(are?) also Corel stuff(s) moving around.. So try to catch his eye.

Translation please someone?

1. Wishlist for Paint Shop Pro 2019 - https://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=62156
2. Corel staffs here in forum - can't find him, it was months ago, but perhapsKen Berry can...

EDIT (..typo and below):
So far I found a few of them:
* Greg Wood - memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=98654
* Joseph Lin - memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=98132
* Eric Lin - memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=127643

As already mentioned, they visits forum irregularly. :cry:
Last edited by Radim on Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radim

operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby Ken Berry » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Radim wrote:2. Corel stuff - can't find, but Ken Berry can...

Translation please? :roll: :wink:
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 28" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby LeviFiction » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:43 pm

If I had to guess I assume Radim is referring to posts made by Corel employees. Eric Lin from Corel shows up on occasion to review new posts on the forum.

In context it seems he's suggesting that "wish" items like those posted by the OP should either be placed into the wishlist on the forums or communicated with the few Corel Employees who occasionally visit the forums. And he can't remember who that employee is but maybe Ken would.

But that is just a guess. I could be dead wrong.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Postby JoeB » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:03 am

I tend to agree with @LeviFiction. From previous posts, I think that English is not @Radim's first language, so it is likely it is not easy for him to translate his concepts quite as accurately in English as he would like. And I think he might also be saying - and I also stand to be corrected - that the OP's post is one that those very infrequent Corel people who visit this forum should be alerted to the OP's post so that they can take it into consideration.

And I, for one, think that Corel should have at least one person whose job it is - or at least PART of whose job it is - would be to check out this forum on a regular basis instead of only once in a while checking into the Wishlist topic. It's a big failure on Corel's part, and shows kind of a lack of respect for the knowledge and learned expertise of their product users, who use this forum to try to share their leaned knowledge. It will, understandably, vary from somewhat limited to very extensive, depending on user experience with the PSP. But the collective knowledge - including the info about faults, bugs and desires - is likely much better represented in this forum than is actually exhibited by the Corel engineers who produce the program. JMHO, of course.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018 (20.2.0.1 x64)
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby Ken Berry » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:26 am

Truthfully, I had simply not associated "Corel stuff" with "Corel staff"! :oops: If that is indeed what Radim meant (and I suspect now that he did) then I also imagine he was thinking of Joseph Lin and/or Eric Lin.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby jayson1945 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:28 am

OK I get the gist of it now..(and anyone whose' first language isn't English has no idea what that means popbably :D lol)
jayson1945

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
processor: Intel Core i-5 3.2Ghz
ram: 4GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ
Corel programs: PSP X2, X4, X7, PSP 2018,

Postby Ken Berry » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Popbably not!! :twisted: :roll:
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby Linda Lou » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Feel free to move this if it doesn't belong in this topic, but I have a couple of PhotoShop - PSP 2018 questions, so I figured I'd add them here:
I've been downloading PhotoShop brushes today. Once they are imported they have different names such as decorations, ornaments, swirls, etc.. For years back to my early PSP days, I've always wondered if there is a better way to organize brushes so they show up to my liking in the brush tip drop-list. ("Decorations: would work fine for all of those mentioned. I have the same problem with everything Halloween related that I would like to have displayed together: witches, pumpkins, etc.) I wasn't sure if I should change file names. Otherwise, if I can't remember the name of the one I'm looking for I have to scroll until I find the shape. There must be an easier way. Any tips on how to organize them?

In addition to PhotoShop brushes can PSP 2018 use PhotoShop textures?
Does PSP 2018 have a way to show a crack in a wall like this: https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/c ... -cms-22371 ?
Linda Lou

processor: i7-8650U
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 512 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ThinkPad T480s
Corel programs: PaintShop Pro 7, 8.1, 2018

Postby LeviFiction » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:02 pm

PSP importer uses the filename of the .abr file to name the brushes. So renaming the brush file will let you make the brushes a little more descriptive. Then you can put them into their own category by moving them into a sub-folder inside your brushes folder. Categories are made from sub-directories. As shown below in this video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gRMF-V ... ulg2-/view

You can also rename the brushes after they have been imported if you need them to have more descriptive names. Here is a quick video on doing that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bAB6Xl ... iT3iq/view

As for textures, PSP can use any image that it's able to open as a texture. They just need to be placed into the textures folder. Though it's important to realize what textures are used for. They are used for bump maps, environment maps, and for textured surfaces.

That tutorial is not using "textures" as in the feature. But rather just a textured image that it places directly on the canvas so easily handled. In fact that entire tutorial could probably be done fairly easily in PSP. It'll require a few changes as not everything is equivalent between the two, but they didn't use a whole lot of Photoshop specific tools. The stamp tool is the clone tool in PSP. The Patch Tool is close to our Object Remover tool. Just without the overlay. may need to turn off smart blending the first time you use it. PSP can also use any image as a pattern including any open image. So you don't even need to save the pattern you edit in order to use it. Though I did have to use Curves instead of Levels to get the pattern to look the way they have it looking.

The crack in the wall is done by simply masking out the hole in one image an placing another image behind it. Easily done in any modern editor that supports layers and masking. So yes PSP can do this, it's not special to Photoshop's tools or workflow.

How much of the tutorial are you hoping to replicate?
LeviFiction
Advisor

Next

Return to Paint Shop Pro