NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

VSP x10 Ult, Support H.265/HEVC?

VSP x10 Ult, Support H.265/HEVC?

Postby TroyTheTech » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:32 am

I am testing out the Trial for VSPx10 and was running into an issue importing some video clips...

It was not giving an error, or saying "this feature is not available in the Trial Version" (as it does sometimes, with some features).
It was just going into "NOT RESPONDING" mode.

I examined the files themselves and found I had recorded them in H.265/HEVC or MPEG-H Part 2 (as opposed to h.264/AVC which is MPEG-4 Part 10). I tested the program out with importing other files that were known h.264/AVC files, and VSP handled them fine.

My question is:
Does VSPx10 support h.265/HEVC - and it is merely not working in the Trial, perhaps?
I only ask because, as stated just above, I am not seeing any errors or messages, in VSP or Windows Event Viewer, nothing.

I am looking at upgrading my x8 to x10 Ultimate (for the Masking and some other new Features), but I find I am recording in h.265/HEVC more and more (mainly for the space savings). If it is not Supported at this time, I may wait for a future Patch/Update...

Thanks for any input

Edit:
I was looking previously under the FEATURES section at the main Corel website and did not see any information regarding this, but I just now looked under the SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS section and found h.265/HEVC listed as the last codec, under Video Input Formats - great!
Wondering then, if others are having 'no issues' with importing it into x10... If others are having issues with the full retail release version, perhaps I will still wait a little longer...
TroyTheTech

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
processor: AMD FX-8350
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 1060
sound_card: Realtek 7.1 Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 256GB+8TB
Corel programs: PaintShopPro, VideoStudioPro

Re: VSP x10 Ult, Support H.265/HEVC?

Postby aljimenez » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:43 am

I think you are way out in front of most users with h265. X10 does render/share h265, so I suspect it will take it on the timeline as well. Buying X10 to test this is painless in that you can always get your money back if it does not do something you expect.
User for more than 10 years.
aljimenez

motherboard: Dell Inc. A08 4.16.2014
processor: IntelCore i7-4790 3.60GHz 4Cores 8 Logical Proc
ram: 24GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 270
sound_card: AMD High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500SSD+2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Three monitors, all Dell brand, one 4K
Corel programs: Visual Studio, Paintshop

Postby Ken Berry » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:46 am

As you may be aware, you need a fairly high end computer to encode HEVC/H.265 video, and a medium strength one to decode it. During beta testing, some of us were able to do both, while others were not even presented with HEVC as an option. It seems it is only available if X10 detects compatible hardware. There was also a suggestion that perhaps Windows 10 might be necessary, though I am not certain that is a requirement.

I suspect you will find your computer should be able to meet the criteria to decode and encode HEVC.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 28" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby TroyTheTech » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:45 am

aljimenez wrote:I think you are way out in front of most users with h265. X10 does render/share h265, so I suspect it will take it on the timeline as well. Buying X10 to test this is painless in that you can always get your money back if it does not do something you expect.

Thank you for your input. I did not know about the ability to 'return' it if there was a compatibility problem.
I have not really begun to normally use h265 (which is why I had to examine the files), I was playing around with it as a 'new addition' to a game recording program I use.

Ken Berry wrote:As you may be aware, you need a fairly high end computer to encode HEVC/H.265 video, and a medium strength one to decode it. During beta testing, some of us were able to do both, while others were not even presented with HEVC as an option. It seems it is only available if X10 detects compatible hardware. There was also a suggestion that perhaps Windows 10 might be necessary, though I am not certain that is a requirement.
I suspect you will find your computer should be able to meet the criteria to decode and encode HEVC.

Thank you for your reply. That is interesting, as I am currently using Windows 8.1 (I have many games installed into that version, on a Dual Boot system). I will try the TRIAL on Windows 10 and report back if the issue is absent there...

I do not know if I would use the codec at all times yet, I was merely playing with it at the moment, enjoying the smaller size for what seems to be the same apparent quality.
TroyTheTech

Postby TroyTheTech » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:14 am

Just an Update:

I installed the TRIAL in Windows 10 and ran into the same issue.

Click on a h.265/HEVC video = "NOT RESPONDING"

That's too bad. I really hope this is just a TRIAL issue - where the ability to use this codec may be present in the Full Retail Version.
I do see that the ability to create AVCHD Profiles for Rendering is Disabled in the TRIAL version... I hope it is related to that type of 'disabling', for now.

I may try aljimenez's idea of purchasing it anyway, in hopes that it will work - especially since I am looking forward to some other features. We will see...
TroyTheTech

Postby TonyP » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:30 pm

The trial version is severely limited, so there is no way of telling IF it's the trial version or a bug. Buying online is simple, and with 30 days to try it, you will know within the first few days if it's your "cup of tea". I would be interested in your results.
I am building a new computer myself to edit 4K. I will probably like you, have a dual boot system since I am not still convinced with Win10, so will install it on a separate SSD.
Now... just waiting for Ryzen to come out and see real world tests.
TonyP

motherboard: Gigabtye AB350 Gaming 3
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8core 16threads OC 4.0Ghz
ram: 16GB 3200
Video Card: MSI Gaming X RX480 8GB
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 27" IPS 4k, Acer 24" 1920x1080
Corel programs: X4-6U, X9U, X10U, PSPX9U, AfterShot3

Postby TroyTheTech » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 am

TonyP wrote:The trial version is severely limited, so there is no way of telling IF it's the trial version or a bug. Buying online is simple, and with 30 days to try it, you will know within the first few days if it's your "cup of tea". I would be interested in your results.
I am building a new computer myself to edit 4K. I will probably like you, have a dual boot system since I am not still convinced with Win10, so will install it on a separate SSD.
Now... just waiting for Ryzen to come out and see real world tests.

Thanks for your input - I was interested too, so I got it!
I wanted it for some of the other features anyway, and the HEVC was just a plaything (for me, I know there are many out there that will enjoy it).

So, I tested it out (importing a short h.265/HEVC clip) - and it did the same thing, sadly. "NOT RESPONDING". I waited five minutes, just to see if it was 'buffering' or 'threading' or whatever else it might be doing, but nope. Crashed. I had to open Task Manager and Kill the Process.
Corel VideoStudio x10 Ultimate 64bit goes into Not Responding Mode with HEVC import .jpg

This is with version x10.0.0.137, 64bit Ultimate.

I will try opening a Ticket and see what they say; but for me, even if it isn't fixed for a few Patches/Upgrades or something, that's ok in my case - I don't mind recording in h.264/AVC anyway, it was just a novelty test. Unfortunately, it doesn't help those like you, that may want to mainly use HEVC, at this time... (we have almost the exact same system)

I should add that I haven't tried other things such as a Clean Boot, Running Less/No Background Processes, etc. yet...

Update:
I just did some more tests with other H.265/HEVC clips I have and they had no problem importing - except that they showed up in VSP as just a black screen... That doesn't explain what the issue is, sorry; but it's at least a little encouraging to see that VideoStudio x10 can at least import HEVC somewhat at this time, for me... (These are only my experiences, as above, some can use it without issue)
TroyTheTech

Postby TonyP » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:08 pm

I think you are using Win8? I know with Pinnacle, not only do you need the required hardware, but also the required OS, Win10. Is the "trial" version ok?
Also, your video card, guessing you have updated the drivers and read up on how your card supports H.265.
I know you can convert anything to H.265 via software with HANDBRAKE, a free open source file converter. I've been using it to convert problematic files for ages.
Since it's software based, I'm not sure on how or what hardware is used to compressed and how long it takes.
Last edited by TonyP on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyP

Postby pepegota » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:44 pm

No problem with H.265/HEVC here. I downloaded a youtube file and it was imported and played just fine. I converted to AVCHD without issue.
Attachments
Video1.jpg
Audio: AAC, 44.1, 2 channel
pepegota

motherboard: ASUS Prime H370 - Plus
processor: Intel i7 - 8700
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GT 1030
sound_card: On board sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Ben Q, "21" LCD
Corel programs: VS 2018

Postby TonyP » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Curious as to when youtube started using the H.265 HEVC encoding for playback. I thought they were going with another type of compression, VP9.
TonyP

Postby TroyTheTech » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:44 am

TonyP wrote:I think you are using Win8? I know with Pinnacle, not only do you need the required hardware, but also the required OS, Win10. Is the "trial" version ok?
Also, your video card, guessing you have updated the drivers and read up on how your card supports H.265.
I know you can convert anything to H.265 via software with [url=HEVC (H.265) support requires Windows 10 and supporting PC hardware or graphics card]HANDBRAKE[/url], a free open source file converter. I've been using it to convert problematic files for ages.
Since it's software based, I'm not sure on how or what hardware is used to compressed and how long it takes.

Thanks, yes I mainly use Windows 8 but only because I 'have everything installed there' and 'everything works' (well, up till now).
I did try using HEVC in Windows 10 as well, installing VSPx10 there too, after purchasing it - and I still run into this issue, unfortunately.

Good thinking with the hardware check, thanks - my GPU now is a new NVIDIA GTX 1060 from Santa, and HEVC support was introduced with the 900 series of GTX GPUs.

Ryzen might come out next month 8)

pepegota wrote:No problem with H.265/HEVC here. I downloaded a youtube file and it was imported and played just fine. I converted to AVCHD without issue.

Glad to hear it! Thanks for sharing that... It's odd, I even tried downloading some samples from the intertubes and while VSPx10 would 'open' those, it wouldn't 'Share' (output) anything properly with them. Odd.

Actually, sorry pepegota, but it appears your file was not HEVC - the properties you listed from MediaInfo show it as h.264/AVC not h.265/HEVC.
Here is what the HEVC properties of the file would look like in MediaInfo:
HEVC in MediaInfo properties.jpg

I am not sure if YouTube uses H.265 yet (or at least, allows users to download that format, from the streaming output). Thanks for your input regardless.

Oh - all the AVCHD options show up now (anyone interested), after purchasing VSPx10 - they just weren't available in the TRIAL version, I guess.

VSPx10 seemed to only work 'perfectly' with HEVC (for me) when I created an HEVC output, rendered from VSPx10 itself - then I could import those videos without issues (back into VSPx10) and edit them and export with them... Any other sources, recorded by me, downloaded from others, anything, seemed to have issues (for me). What an odd issue haha :lol:

Anyway, it was just a novelty test for me. I am happy with how VSPx10 seems so far, and it utilizes x.264/AVC without any issues at all. Looking forward to playing with it more!
Last edited by TroyTheTech on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TroyTheTech

Trouble playing H.265/HEVC rendered files

Postby jorj » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Is anyone having a problem playing back 4K H.265 files they've rendered with VSX10 Ult? I can render them in other programs and play any HEVC file without difficulity. I am running Win 10 with an Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz (quad core) CPU, 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA GTX970 4GB, 2TB HDD, 128GB SSD, with VSX10 Ult loaded on the SSD. I just upgraded VSX10 Ult and it did get rid of the blue X across the video I was getting, but didn't fix the H.265 rendering problem.

I can render H.254 4K files and play them with no problem with VS. The H.265 files rendered in VSX10 Ult. play the audio, but the screen is all black. Tried on multiple renderings with the same result.
jorj

Re: Trouble playing H.265/HEVC rendered files

Postby TroyTheTech » Mon May 08, 2017 4:11 am

jorj wrote:Is anyone having a problem playing back 4K H.265 files they've rendered with VSX10 Ult? I can render them in other programs and play any HEVC file without difficulity. I am running Win 10 with an Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz (quad core) CPU, 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA GTX970 4GB, 2TB HDD, 128GB SSD, with VSX10 Ult loaded on the SSD. I just upgraded VSX10 Ult and it did get rid of the blue X across the video I was getting, but didn't fix the H.265 rendering problem.

I can render H.254 4K files and play them with no problem with VS. The H.265 files rendered in VSX10 Ult. play the audio, but the screen is all black. Tried on multiple renderings with the same result.

Jorj, I did a quick test of a short clip for this, rendering to 4K h.265 from VSx10 and it seemed to playback fine in Windows Media Player (sorry, "MoviesAndTv") and in Media Player Classic. Screenshot below:
corel 4k test (1min) stream2017-05-07 20-56-52-934  .jpg

Our systems are similar, except that I have an AMD FX-8350 CPU (which of course implies a different mainboard) and a slightly different videocard (but about the same capability).
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is, to check that Hardware Acceleration of Rendering is enabled in the Preferences and perhaps (although it would be quite annoying since VS doesn't seem to have a Repair Installation option?) reinstalling VS, is another one... Will try to think of other things...
TroyTheTech

Re: Trouble playing H.265/HEVC rendered files

Postby jetjedi » Thu May 17, 2018 12:40 am

jorj wrote:Is anyone having a problem playing back 4K H.265 files they've rendered with VSX10 Ult? I can render them in other programs and play any HEVC file without difficulity. I am running Win 10 with an Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz (quad core) CPU, 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA GTX970 4GB, 2TB HDD, 128GB SSD, with VSX10 Ult loaded on the SSD. I just upgraded VSX10 Ult and it did get rid of the blue X across the video I was getting, but didn't fix the H.265 rendering problem.

I'm having this same problem. Bought the full VSX10 version and applied the latest updates for it. I have a new Alienware Win10, i7, 32GB RAM, 512M.2, 1070 nvidia and as soon as I try to import a h.265 file created from a GoPro 6 Black Corel VS locks up on me. I can import videos fine from an older Sony that records in h.264 but nogo on the new GoPro. Tried reaching out to Corel support but they weren't any help. The h.265 plays just fine using the Windows 10 media player. Also works fine with the GoPro Desktop app but Corel just can't handle it. Going to try and get my money back since I really can't use this software with my GoPro 6.
jetjedi

motherboard: Alienware
processor: i7 Intel
ram: 32GB
Video Card: nvidia 1070
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1.25TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: OLED
Corel programs: x10 ultimate

Postby Ken Berry » Thu May 17, 2018 1:27 am

Before getting a refund, can you please use a site like Dropbox to upload a small sample of the GoPro video. That way some of us can try it out. You will see my computer specs under my avatar. While decent, they are not as powerful as your computer would seem to be. But I have no trouble importing HEVC 3840 x 2160 30 fps video and editing it, in both VS2018 and X10. When I insert it in the timeline, I also get a message asking if I want to have the Project Properties match those of the video. This of course helps output the final edited project in the same HEVC format.

But I don't have access to Hero 6 HEVC footage, and am not sure if some aspect of its properties, e.g. high frame rate might, cause problems for VS. I have an older Hero Black, but that only uses H.264. Do you have yours set for 4K or HD or any other "special" settings such as high frame rate for slow motion?
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB