NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Files have been damaged, Please Reinstall error

Files have been damaged, Please Reinstall error

Postby Ron P. » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:51 am

If at some point you go to launch VS Pro X3 and you get this..

vs_error 38.png
vs_error 38.png (27.4 KiB) Viewed 38158 times

This is due to Corel's anti-piracy utility called Protexis Licensing, not running. It must be running in order to launch VS. There are other Corel programs that utilize this same service. So if you see the above error, then before you attempt to reinstall, first go to your Computer Management, Services & Applications, Services. Scroll down and locate Protexis Licensing. Then check to see that it is started and running. If not click Start the service. You should then be able to launch VS.

protexis.png
protexis.png (171.55 KiB) Viewed 38158 times

Edited, I changed the Subject of this post, since most are reporting it as the program is damaged and needs reinstalled.

I've ran some tests and discovered that VS X4 apparently is not using Protexis. I stopped the service on both Vista and WinXP machines, yet was able to launch VS X4. However with VS X3, and PSPX3 it throws the error. Now I'm wondering what they are using... :roll:
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Error 38 appears again at startup

Postby cees1922 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:12 pm

I have had to correct the Error 38 regarding Protexix licensing each time I have started up my computer. It is very annoying to have to go through all the steps to change it from manual to automatic every time. VS Pro X3 works fine every time after I make all the changes (apply and start), but surely there is a way to not having to do this every time I restart. Does Protexix have to be started in order that X3 will work, or can I disable it somehow? Thanks for any suggestions.
cees1922

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: Dell 0F896N A03
processor: 3.00 GHz AMD Athlon II X2 250
ram: 6 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
sound_card: ATI High Def Audio Device
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750 GB

Re: ERROR 38... Cause and Cure..

Postby cees1922 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:48 am

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Actually, that is what I have been doing for several weeks. Every day, I would have to re-enter those settings. I had found this solution to Error 38 and used it, but then had to re-enter the settings the next day. After reading your reply, I tried to do some experiments to establish some data.

1. I tried selecting Automatic - delayed and start as I wasn't sure what that setting meant. I shutdown the computer for 5 min. and upon restarting VS X3 started OK. But, on checking on Protexis, I found that the settings had changed to Started and Manual (not automatic). When I restarted the computer, I got Error 38 again and Protexis showed not started and Manual.

2. So, I went back to setting Protexis to automatic and start. Of course, X3 worked. Again, I restarted the computer and X3 worked. The settings on Protexis was Started and Automatic. Next, I shut down the computer for 15 min and X3 worked. Protexis settings were Started and Automatic. I used X3 off and on for 5 hr., then Protexis settings were Started and Manual. That means that the next time I restart the computer, X3 will not work.

Does anyone have a solution, or is this what I have to contend with? I am using Win 7. I haven't tried reinstalling X3 yet. I downloaded an exe file for VS X3 from the Corel Web site. Surely, the downloaded file shouldn't give me trouble.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
cees1922

Postby cees1922 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:29 pm

After the computer was off overnight, I restarted it and checked Protexis. It was Started and Manual. This time X3 started OK. So, it doesn't have to be set to automatic for X3 to operate. The instructions I read about the Error 38 several weeks ago said I had to set Protexis to Start and Automatic.
1. What is the difference between Manual and Automatic?

2. Apparently, I have some non-repeatable problem with Protexis and Error 38. Does anyone have any suggestions? Hasn't anyone else had this problem of not completely solving the Error 38?

3. If I go ahead and reinstall X3 later, I don't want to re-download all the updated menus, clipart, etc. What folders can I save before I uninstall X3 in order to keep all these new downloads and not have to go through with repeating the downloads again?

I have been very pleased with X3 so far, except for the Factory Pro 2010 crashing much of the time. I noticed others have had the same problem. Perhaps if I reinstall X3 I will have better luck with Factory Pro also. I changed to using Movie Factory 7 SE to finish my projects. Thanks for any help.
cees1922

Postby Goble » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:50 am

Actuall, I prefer the Protexis crap to be on manual startup mode because this way it doesn't slow down the bootup time of the computer. However, you can use following technique to start it automagically when you launch some Corel application.

- Open ControlPanel | Administrative Tools | Services tool (exact link varies depending on whether you have XP, Vista or Win7)
- Set "ProtexisLicensing" service to manual start mode (or "ProtexisLicensing_V2" depending on the Corel app version)

Now, create a CMD/BAT script and launch your Corel app through that script instead of directly from Corel application

- Open Notepad and create a new empty file using "VStudioX4.CMD" (or whatever you wanna call that file as long extension is CMD or BAT)
- Use something like following in that file (check the exact executable name from your Corel app. One way to find out the exact path and file name is to see "Properties" of the Start menu item)

Code: Select all
@echo off
net start "ProtexisLicensing"
"c:\program files(x86)\corel\vstudio\vspro_x4.exe"

The idea above is to launch the manual mode Protexis service just before you launch the actual Corel application. This way the service is no longer slowing down bootup time and eating resources when you are not using Corel application.

Note! This was from top of my head and I didn't check exact service names and executable names. NET START command can be used to start services and NET STOP command to stop them. You can check the exact service name from Services ControlPanel dialog (look for serviceName. Usually it is the same as shown in the Services list, but not always. See Properteis from the service object and the dialogbox has serviceName property)
Goble

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Lenovo T61 laptop
processor: Intel Core2Duo
ram: 3GB
Video Card: Integrated NVidia Quadro NVS 140M
sound_card: integrated Intel HD
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 200gb

Re: Files have been damaged, Please Reinstall error

Postby leo1997m » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:39 am

Error 38: Corel MotionStudio 3D file have been damaged or modified.
This error shows up when i start Motion Studio 3D.Can anyone help me???
leo1997m

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: ASRock_G41M_VS3
processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel G41 Expess Chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 250 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1024x764 Dell E771mm

Postby lata » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:57 am

Hi

Did you read the replies above regarding Protexis,

Is CMS 3D the only Corel program you have installed, if not do the other programs work ok.?

Personally I would uninstall all Corel products
Uninstall Protexis
Re-install my Corel programs.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby timpatton » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:36 pm

lata wrote:Hi

Did you read the replies above regarding Protexis,

Is CMS 3D the only Corel program you have installed, if not do the other programs work ok.?

Personally I would uninstall all Corel products
Uninstall Protexis
Re-install my Corel programs.

Going through the same issue here also but with the Videostudio files. Went and did the steps shown above was able to resolve it but then had a system crash yesterday and I started getting the same error 38. I have tried the steps again a few hours ago but did not resolve the error. Could it be that something else has been damaged caused by the system crash. By the way system crash was due to my browser not sure if that's any help but that's all that I can remember that happened before the error came back. Any help would be much appreciated. I've been all over the net for this issue with no luck.
timpatton

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate

Postby Dekade » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Ron,

I have surmised that Protexis is slowing down my system. I am gathering that Protexis came onto my system via PSPx3. It appears there is no longer a Protexis website even. I have disabled Protexis Licensing V2 and Protexis Licensing V2 x64 in Services.

I have located an instructional http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-disable-and-uninstall-protexis-licensing-service-psiservice-exe/

1) Does the link look like a correct procedure?
2) Since I have V2 it appears as though I should pay attention to the very bottom of the guide;
3) However, I only have PSPx6 and VSP Ultimate x7 currently on my computer - AND - WordPerfect Office11
4) Do I have to go to each individual program and do what the instructional says?
5) Do I have to do any of the steps above the V2 area?

OR - SHOULD I LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE. I CANNOT AFFORD A CRASH AT THIS TIME BUT I THINK I NEED TO GET PROTEXIS OFF THE COMPUTER.

PLEASE ADVISE

Thanks,
Dekade
Dekade

VideoStudio x7 Ultimate 64bit
Dekade

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: Asus p5nd
processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield Quad-Core 2.83GH
ram: 8GB
Video Card: ASUS HD6670-2GD3 Radeon HD 6670 2GB 128-Bit DDR3
sound_card: Realtek on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

Postby BrianCee » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:29 pm

Topic locked to prevent confusion with other more recent topics

please append any further comments to one of those or if that is not appropriate start a new topic.
My VideoStudio demo videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBrianCee
BrianCee

ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP
Corel programs: VS X4,X5,X6,X7,X8, X9, X10

Return to VideoStudio