NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Update Ulead Photo Express 4.0

Update Ulead Photo Express 4.0

Postby GhostDog » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Hello,

Trying to update ULEAD PHOTO EXPRESS 4.0, but the link on me sending a link SHIFT ULEAD PHOTO EXPRESS 6.
Could someone point me how to update my version please?
And the site of COREL there that UPDATES versions 2, 3 and 6, could not find version 4.

cordially

PS: I am French and I'm not good in English, I apologize in advance for my possible errors;)
GhostDog

operating_system: Windows XP Home
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Re: Update Ulead Photo Express 4.0

Postby Ron P. » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Welcome to the forums, :)

I see that there are no updates listed for version 4, which to me means that they did not release any patches for it.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Postby GhostDog » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Thank you for your welcome Ron P :)

That's what I thought also :(
Would you have any idea how I can get the updates about this release please?
Unless a member of the forum, with this update, this gives me the update.
GhostDog

Postby Ron P. » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:37 pm

How do you know there were any updates for it? What I suggested is that Ulead did not release updates for versions not listed. So for versions 4 and 5 there were no updates released.
Ron P.
Site Admin

Postby GhostDog » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:56 pm

Well because I have version 4.0 and it seems to me that there was a version 4.1, but I can be wrong?
GhostDog

Postby Ron P. » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:32 pm

I can't find any documentation of an update for that version. Even the old Ulead website only lists updates for PE 6. http://www.ulead.com/tech/pe/pe_ftp.htm

The old Ulead learning center does list any new tutorials for PE6, but does have tutorials for PE4.. http://www.ulead.com/learning/learning.htm

Are you having problems with the program, where you think it needs an update/patch? If not I wouldn't be concerned about it. The main reason is that if there was at one time an update for it, it is no longer available anywhere I can find.
Ron P.
Site Admin

Postby GhostDog » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:20 am

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The link to the documentation of PE4 is the same as for PE6.

Well there is a problem of sudden interruption of the program in some cases, such as the treatment of a high resolution photo.
Nothing too embarrassing, but sometimes annoying.
I would do with, it's been many years I use this software, which I find very complete for basic retouching, and I learned to do with these little annoyances.
Having lost my original software, I just buy a German retailer, to tell you how much I am attached to this software to get him to Germany :lol: .
As you seem to know the world COREL, I ask you a quick question, if I could, of course:
COREL software you would know the same style as PE4, with options: Select a color Select by SmartSelect and with good adjustment options please?

Anyway, I want to thank you for the interest you have shown to my problem, I sincerely appreciate :D .

friendly
GhostDog

Postby Ron P. » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 pm

In Corel's current programs, they have a tool that is the same as the old Smart Select. In fact there are a couple of tools that behave the same as the Smart Select. Depending on what program is being used, the Selection Tool will vary.

PaintShop Pro Photo
  • Selection Tool, which uses various shapes, (square, rectangle, ellipse, circle, rounded-rectangle, rounded-square, triangle, pentagon, hexagon,star and arrows)
  • Freehand Selection: This has the Edge Seeker, Freehand, Point-to-Point, Smart Edge. This is the tool that is very close if not exactly what you're used to in Photo Express. You draw around the edge of the object you want to select.
  • Magic Wand: You click on a color in your image and it will make a selection based on the color.

PhotoImpact X3
First I'm not sure you can still purchase this one where your located. I know it is still available in the Corel U.S. Store
  • Standard Selection Tool: It uses shapes (Square, Rectangle, Circle and Ellipse) to create selections.
  • Lasso Tool: You draw around an object you want to select. It also allows you to incorporate "Smart Lasso", which behaves the same as your Smart Select.
  • Magic Wand Tool: Same as mentioned in PaintShop Pro Photo
  • Bezier Curve Tool: You make you selections in a Linear fashion. The lines are connected by nodes that can be edited if need be

Corel's "flagship" program Corel Draw Graphics Suite, has their PhotoPaint program, that has similar selection tools as already mentioned. This program is not designed for wanting something done fast and easy. It is a real professional package, which is reflected by the price of the program.

Corel current offers PaintShop Photo Express. I've never used this program, so I really can't offer any advice on it. I'm guessing by the name, that it is a watered-down version of PaintShop Pro. It should have the same Selection Tools or at least very similar, to the ones already mentioned. One thing I know you need to consider is what's affordable?

PaintShop Pro is currently discounted on the US site, $29.99
PhotoImpact can be purchased on the US site for $29.99
CorelDraw Graphics Suite $399.00
PaintShop Photo Express $39.99

Paintshop Photo Express is the only program of the above that I do not have, and have not used. So based on that. Keep that in mind when I make the following statement. If you are currently running WinXP, or Vista and don't plan to upgrade in the near future, then I would opt for PhotoImpact X3. It's affordable, not that difficult to learn to use, and most importantly, it does not have the bugs that PaintShop Pro has. The current version, PaintShop Pro X3 is wrought with bugs.

Hope that helps a little.. :)
Ron P.
Site Admin