NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

NonCorel Video Editing Software

Discuss anything about video editing, HD, codecs, etc......

Moderator: Ron P.

NonCorel Video Editing Software

Postby wstagner » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:34 am

I've spent the better part of my time (uncompensated of course) this week downloading/testing most of the available Windows-based video editing software under $150 retail. Unlike many here on this board, I'm looking for reliable and EZ 2 use software that makes either SD videos from tape and card camcorders and HD videos from my new and untested Panasonic TM700 with menus and minimal effort.

Much to my disappointment, I've not found a single piece of software that does this. Many of the TBYB softwares are severely crippled and therefore unusable. Other software requires such a steep learning curve that I might make a video sometime before I croke. While other software is piecemeal requiring separate packages for editing vs. menu creation/burning.

I might spend a little more time looking for more apps to test, but it's so far a losing battle.
Maybe I'll look for software in the up to $200 price range. I get the feeling that there are many on this board who would pay more PROVIDED THAT the software worked reliably with the advertised feature set.

At this point, I can understand why the pros use Apple Pooters for editing.....the software must be better. If it wasn't there wouldn't be any "live" video on TV to watch.

One thing I give Corel credit for is that their TBYB software is fully-functional for the 30 day eval period.
wstagner

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte Ga-p43-es3g
processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 GHz
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ATI Radion HD4300 4500 series
sound_card: ATI High Definition Realtek ALC888 codec
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus VH242H 24" 1920x1024 screen.

Re: NonCorel Video Editing Software

Postby Ron P. » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:57 am

First FYI, I moved this to the General Discussions, Video & DVD forum, doing so in anticipation of some discussions relating to competitor's programs. Such discussions can be held in these forums.

That said, I'm sure you've probably tested Magix Movie Edit Pro. Actually it is currently less expensive than VideoStudio. It does have it's share of problems, and sadly I don't use AVCHD, HDV, or any other flavor of high-def video, to provide you some good insight. Yes I do own this product. There was some serious problems with OOS related to MPEG-2, however they have released some patches that seems to have fixed that. If you're used to VS, then it will take a little learning. Some functions are done more easily, others not, than done in VS.

I've tried many others as well. I was hinging between Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10 and Magix, when I purchased Magix. It's very difficult to find all the bugs and glitches with trial versions, especially when you're not familiar with the package. I will say that Magix does have a decent forum for support, much like this one.

All in all I guess that I'm still lucky to not have to edit HD, and that for any serious editing, I pull out MediaStudio Pro. In it's time, it could be put up against the likes of Sony Vegas Pro, and even FCP.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Postby wstagner » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:06 am

Presheate you moving this thread to the appropriate forum location.
I do think this discussion is appropriate to have and who nose, maybe we'll all either find something "better" or Corel will step up and do what they need to do.

Imagine the marketing tag line: "Upgrade to Corel Video Studio X4.....it works!"
wstagner

motherboard: Gigabyte Ga-p43-es3g
processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 GHz
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ATI Radion HD4300 4500 series
sound_card: ATI High Definition Realtek ALC888 codec
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus VH242H 24" 1920x1024 screen.

Postby Black Lab » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:58 am

Unlike many here on this board, I'm looking for reliable and EZ 2 use software

I don't know if that's supposed to be some kind of jab at certain people, or what, but I think everyone here is looking for reliable and easy to use software. In my case I have it. It's called VideoStudio.
Black Lab

operating_system: Windows 8

Postby BrianCee » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:52 pm

me to - NEVER had a problem with any version of VideoStudio -my download of X4 was up and running within minutes of the download and is currently working hard without one single problem.

I have always held the view that careful computer maintenance is a major factor in my success - for instance making very sure I remove every single piece of any trial software I download just as soon as I have finished with it - I'm sure they all leave bits and pieces somewhere and if not carefully removed can cause all sorts of instability
BrianCee

Postby GuyL » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:04 pm

I think Video Studio is a great product and I've been using it since version 6, I believe.

The only problems I have had in all that time that could not be overcome was:

1) The initial DVD burning blunder in VX3 but that was fixed and credit to Corel for doing so.
2) The AVCHD blips between transitions.

The second one continues to annoy me and I'm very dissapointed in Corel for it but I'm hoping it will be fixed. Other than that, the software has been great and keeps getting better.

I too have used competitor's products to evaluate and frankly I was not impressed by any of them. Adobe would be the only one I would possibly migrate too but I use other Adobe products (RoboHelp and Captivate) and they are some of the buggiest software I've ever seen. Their track record with me is what has always kept me from jumping ship.
Now using Adobe Premiere and Photoshop
Guy Lapierre
www.forefrontbusinesssolutions.com
GuyL

motherboard: ASUS P6T
processor: I7 920
ram: 6GB
Video Card: ATI 5870
sound_card: Auzentech X-fi Forte 7.1
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2753V & HP w2408h

Postby benalmeer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:26 am

AVS Video Editor provides video editors with an extensive amount of transitions and effects. You have access to over 600 transitions and 70 special effects, plus the ability to add as many video and audio tracks as you need. You can adjust and fix audio tracks and video stabilization for shaky footage. While AVS's video editing software isn't equipped for professional filmmakers, it makes editing easy. And you have the added benefit of creating HD movies.
There are almost 600 different transitions and effects built into AVS Video Editor. To apply any effect, all you have to do is drag one and drop it into place. You can adjust the beginning and ending times of each effect. Adjustments can also be made to match your sequence; for example, you can adjust the size of each snowflake in a film with a wintery feel. In addition to size, you can change the opacity, color, density of the snowflake and even the direction it is moving. Some of the other effects and transitions you can choose from include gray out, anaglyph 3D, newsprint, invert, posterize and border.
The stabilization tool can fix shaky footage. This automatically cuts portions off the top and bottom of the film to create a smooth image. You can select how much of the video you want to cut, but be careful not to cut too much as it can completely ruin your segment of video.
The audio effects settings come with tools to amplify, remove noise, equalize, normalize, compress and adjust pitch. Additionally, it's easy to increase or decrease the volume for each track. The audio line has a bar you can move up and down to adjust the sound. If you want to customize the volume control, you can select points on the audio line making it easy to fade the audio in and out of your video.
Regard's
Ben Almeer
nitrotek
benalmeer

operating_system: Windows XP Home
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby Ken Berry » Wed May 31, 2017 12:44 am

I hope you realise that this thread is over five years old now and lots has changed since the post you quoted was written, both in Video Studio and the other editing programs that user tried out.

It's also worth noting, though, that his final comment about Video Studio trial software being fully function, is no longer true, and indeed has not been so for the past three versions.

But in any case, welcome to the Board, and feel free to post any questions you may have in the relevant forum here. We always try to come up with answers! :wink:
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB