NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Running PS4 from My Laptop

CD & DVD Picture Show

Running PS4 from My Laptop

Postby AKav » Tue May 12, 2009 4:00 pm

I've been using CD & DVD PS4 for a couple of years now and have come to rely on it for work I do for nonprofits. I'm running it on a reburbished laptop I bought on eBay which has worked very well. It has 512 MB RAM and the hard drive capacity is 40GB. My question is more of a "computer" issue than a software issue but I'm hoping someone well versed in hardware and software can guide me.

I have Ulead files in 2 places on my laptop. The program itself is on my hard drive and takes up 207 MB (including 2 downloads - one for CD burning and one for more templates). It is here:

C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems

I also have files at this location and because of all of my different projects, they take up just over 7 GB. When I right-click to see the properties, there are 7 separate subfolders:

c:\Documents and Settings\Gateway\My Documents\Ulead CD & DVD Pictureshow 4\4.0

Between my slideshows and my photos, I'm running uncomfortably short on hard drive space. Upgrading the hard drive is cost prohibitive and would cost almost as much as getting another reburbed laptop which has a larger hard drive.

Is there any reason I cannot simply run this program from an external drive as opposed to my C drive? I guess in my mind, a drive is a drive is a drive. If I can run it from an external drive, does that mean that I can just move both the program file itself and the other files onto the external drive?

I hope this was clear enough to understand what I aim to do. I want to free up some hard drive space while still being able to run the program with no issues (or limited issues).
AKav

Postby michaeltee » Tue May 12, 2009 5:18 pm

In most cases programs can be installed on HDD's other than "C" however if the drive you choose is external via USB or Firewire you'll suffer a performance hit as these connections have much slower access versus internal. Also, regardless of installation drive certain components of the software will still be installed on "C" so it's difficult to predict how much space you'll actually save. Generally speaking I wouldn't recommend installing a complex proggy like DVDPS4 on an external unless the drive interface was SATA connected via SATA port. With an older refurbished laptop it's not likely that such capabilities would exist.

On the other hand, your completed project files and associated media can be stored anywhere you choose. In doing so your existing projects will take longer to load and save/re-save but the speed of creating new presentations shouldn't be negatively effected.

Unfortunately I don't have DVDPS4 installed at the moment so you'd have to take a look at the user guide for specifics on how to accomplish this. Generally it would involve moving your existing project files manually and then defining the new path in the DVDPS4 options dialog so that future project files are stored in the desired location by default.
michaeltee
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B17
processor: AMD A8-7600 Kaveri 28nm
ram: 16.0 GB DC
Video Card: AMD R7 Graphics
sound_card: IDT High Definition Audio + Breakaway Pipeline
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB SATA 3
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 2310m
Corel programs: Installed - PSPX9 PSP2018 VSX10

Thank You!

Postby AKav » Tue May 12, 2009 5:55 pm

Thank you so much, Michael. You are always a source of great info and you present it in a way that makes it easy for me to understand. I shall leave the program file itself on my C drive and then will research whether or not I can "direct" the program to an external file for those materials which are currently being stored under my documents and settings subfolder.

I appreciate your help!
AKav

Existing v. Future

Postby AKav » Tue May 12, 2009 6:26 pm

Michael - I'm sorry. I need one more clarification. My plan is to get an external USB flash drive on which to store my working folders (which are taking up a lot of room now).

I found in the user guide where I can set my preferences for future projects and tell it where I want my working folder. No problem there.

My question relates to my existing projects. I plan to manually move all the existing folders from C to "X" (being the new drive name). After I do that, when I go to open an old slideshow to modify it, it will know where to find the elements of the project, correct? That may sound like a foolish question but I just want to make sure I do this correctly.
AKav

Postby michaeltee » Tue May 12, 2009 6:38 pm

You're welcome! Just to add a footnote, initially I would "copy" rather than "move" the project files to the new location. Once completed, test the new setup by launching a project by clicking it's ".DPS" file from within the NEW folder/location. If all goes well, DVDPS4 should then launch and load the project. If you're satisfied with the results you can then delete the project files from "C" however I would definitely recommend backing them up on DVD-R media just to be on the safe side. It looks like you would need 2 standard discs or a single double layer disc based on the size of your files.
michaeltee
Advisor

Re: Existing v. Future

Postby michaeltee » Fri May 15, 2009 5:34 pm

AKav wrote:when I go to open an old slideshow to modify it, it will know where to find the elements of the project, correct?.

Well, I'm a bit handicapped since I don't have DVDPS4 installed at the moment howver I'm fairly sure you can move the .DPS to any location. The project file is a database and as far as I know it preserves your media paths within it's structure. You could easily test it by copying a DPS file to another location and then clicking it to open a project. If your elements load as expected you should be good to go.

Again, I'd emphasize the importance of making backups on optical media (DVD-R) if at all possible. Regardless of any experimenting you do (or problems that may develop over time with your external HDD) you should be able to restore whatever you need from your discs.
michaeltee
Advisor

Postby AKav » Fri May 15, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks as always for your input, michaeltee. I feel as though I owe you and vidoman consulting fees!

I have a plan to back up my data. In the interim, I discovered the source of my problem (separate thread re multiple copies of .wav files). I didn't know I should go into my working folders and purge old stuff occasionally. I had multiple copies of .wav files from different updates of my slideshows. Unlike the likely intended purpose of this software - make a slideshow once and it's done - I create them and then update/upgrade them as time passes to keep them current for the nonprofits I'm dealing with. That meant I had bukuu copies of the same .wav files in working folders. I have since listed those I need and have purged the excess, freeing up valuable hard drive space.

Live and learn, right? Thanks again for always taking the time to help.
AKav

Return to CD&DVD Picture Show