NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Dll message

CD & DVD Picture Show

Dll message

Postby 1939 Beaver » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:04 am

I recently had a computer problem and for some reason, whilst the problem has been solved, a few programs had a"dll" problem and wouldn't open. I fixed this by uninstalling the particular program and then re-loading. I went to use Pictureshow 4 a few nights ago and I can't open it and get a "Dll Error" message with no other details. As I originally bought this straight off the internet and don't have a disc, is there another solution? Picture show 4 has been very good to me and I would like to retain it, so if there is no fix for my problem, would it be feasible to buy a disc from Ulead or better to go to the later DVD MovieFactory 6 version.

:roll:

Regards to all for Christmas.
1939 Beaver

Postby sjj1805 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:07 am

DLL = Dynamic Link Library.
In English it is a routine that performs some sort of function.
That function could be used by many different programs and so instead of writing it every time they keep tht routine in a little "dll" program - which the main program will then use.

As a simple example "Clearing a screen" - any program that needs a routine to clear the displa would simply call the "clear the screen" DLL.

You need to let us know which particular DLL file you are having problems with because there are perhaps a few thousand in your computer.
For a clue please view:
Troubleshooting your computer
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby michaeltee » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:02 pm

If you're not able to resolve the dll problem there are a few options.

1) If you saved your downloaded DVDPS4 installer and registration package you could try fully uninstalling the program and then reinstalling it. In most cases this will repair problems such as missing files and registry entries. If this fails there is a more detailed process (called a "clean install") that involves manually removing certain files before reinstalling the software. We can direct you the instructions if necessary.

2) Because DVDPS4 is a very mature program, it lacks many features and capabilities that ARE available in the new MovieFactory 7. Before re-purchasing DVDPS4 I would recommend that you download and evaluate the MovieFactory trial version (assuming your system meets the minimum requirements) for consideration as a possible replacement. Better to spend your money on software that offers the latest features and innovations (in my opinion) :-)
michaeltee
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 8.1
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B17
processor: AMD A8-7600 Kaveri 28nm
ram: 16.0 GB DC
Video Card: AMD R7 Graphics
sound_card: IDT High Definition Audio + Breakaway Pipeline
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB SATA 3
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 2310m
Corel programs: Installed - PSPX9 PSP2018 VSX10

dll problem.

Postby 1939 Beaver » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:59 am

Many thanks for your reply sjj1805, but it is not as simple as that and in addition the plot has thickened. Firstly, I am unable to do a system restore as my computer won't co-operate. When I try to select e previous date in the wizard, the calender simply freezes up and won't change from the current date. Secondly, I originally purchased my program from the internet, did a direct download and never received a back-up disc, so as a consequence, I am unable to do a re-instal if I do an un-instal.

With the obvious computer problems I am having, it looks as if my computer technician inadvertantly caused some conflicts when he removed a virus a couple of months ago. He warned me that if things didn't go right that I may have to completely empty the C drive and start again. Even this scenario is going to cause some problems once again as I bought my Hewlett Packard computer pre-loaded with XP and was not supplied with a disc. As a wise man once said, "Life wasn't meant to be easy".

1939 Beaver. :?:
1939 Beaver

Postby Ron P. » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:21 pm

All of my current PCs are "Tier-1" and come with the OS preloaded. However they always have a backup /restore partition, and most come with a restore disk. I've had to start from scratch a few times using either of those options. I've looked into purchasing XP, however the only version I can still find in stores is the upgrade, not the full version, AND they still are asking the original MSRP for it....

The downside is that any program you have installed will be wiped-out. So if you did not backup your download files for DVDPS, I guess there is no way to re-install or repair install it. Don't know how long ago you purchased it, but the last ditch option would be to contact Corel to see if they would provide you with a new download link. Don't rely on it happening though. Corel and Ulead have both offered Download Insurance, at the time of purchasing ESD programs. This guarantees you a download for up to 2 yrs..
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB