NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Convert DVD-R Video for Picture Show Use

CD & DVD Picture Show

Convert DVD-R Video for Picture Show Use

Postby mwaldron » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:04 am

My sister sent me a home movie put on a DVD-R video and somehow I figured out how to copy it to my hard drive and then get it into PS. I used a program called AutoGordian Knot and I think it output AVI. It created something called VTS_01_1 in a folder with some other files like agk_tmp and VTS_01_1_1/2/3.VOB. I accessed VTS_01_1 from PS and cut out some snippets but I kept getting freezes and crashes. I finally succeeded. I did it again for a test Show and when I played the test burnt DVD the sound is out of synch on my pC and on my 1st attempt to use a DVD player. I tried it at x16 and x8 burn speeds. See my previous humble post asking for help using a DVD player.

There probably is a better way to do all this starting from my sister's received DVD. Help please. And many thanks to the people who answer these posts, particularly Mike, who has answered all my previous posts courteously and with explanations that I follow and work. My project is a 175-slide (jpg, some scanned at 300, some scanned at 600) and video show I'm trying to do on my mother's life and taking it to Hawaii in July to show to all my siblings who have contributed pictures. There's a DVD player there I will show it on there.
mwaldron

Postby mwaldron » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:49 pm

See my last post on Topic DVD Player. The Roxio Creator 9 XE software created MPEG doesn't give me the crashes and freezes I had before. But there is no sound when I bring it into PS4. The out-of-synch problem is fixed but after I burn to a DVD the sound is garbled on the DVD player and TV. Here is the info on the DVD-R I am trying to get into my PC and PS4.

Media Information
Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID SONY16D1
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name DISK_5
Application id
Implementation id VSO Software
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 5/19/2007 8:31:45
Format Capacity 2.45GB(2.63GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CAV 16.0x 22160KBps
Available Write Descriptor CAV 12.0x 16620KBps
Available Write Descriptor CAV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 09
2x Speed OPC power 0B
2x Write Strategy field 1 12 A8 88 90
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 06
4x Speed OPC power 13
4x Write Strategy field 1 0A 0E 08 04
4x Write Strategy field 2 96 06 0C 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 08
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 18
4x Write Strategy field 4 17 B8 88 85
4x Write Strategy field 5 B6 79 0B B0 33 03
4x Write Strategy field 6 30 00 D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 1398DFh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code
00000000 00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 84 0E 10 .l...@....R.....
00000010 87 88 80 00 03 53 4F 4E 59 31 36 00 04 44 31 00 .....SONY16..D1.
00000020 00 00 00 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 06 09 0B 12 ................
mwaldron

Postby sjj1805 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:39 am

A Video DVD disc is made up of files that end in VOB and IFO and a few other extensions. These VOB files are essentially MPEG2 files but with a few other things added in. Sometimes you can alter the VOB extension to MPG and it will play and you could use it in PS4 or a program such as VideoStudio or MovieFactory.

However the correct way of doing things is to import the VOB files etc into a program able to convert them properly into MPEG2 format, This makes them less liable to things such as out of synch audio - there are other matters as well. If you click this link
Importing DVD Files (VideoStudio) it will give you an idea of how to import video from a "DVD Disc" - most programs that do this work similar to that example.

There are some free programs that will import the videos from non copyright protected discs - use Google, alternatively download a 30 day free trial of VideoStudio and/or MovieFactory.

Some of the problems you may have had with your DVD player might be due to the Roxio Software that came with it. There is a format termed packet writing that enables you to use a CD/DVD burner rather like a hard drive where you can drag and drop files onto the disc using Windows Explorer. These packet writing programs can and do interfere with standard methods of burning to a disc and so you have to disable the packet writing software before burning with a program such as PS4.

Burn speed is also important. Whilst things get faster and faster and you can get blank discs that are rated at perhaps 16x and a burner that writes even faster, our experience has been that when dealing with Video DVD's (that includes slide shows) then burning at too high a speed makes the signal on the disc weak and so the disc refuses to play on a standalone DVD player. We suggest a burn speed of no higher than 4x - or whichever is the nearest available slowest speed. Some combinations of disc/burner will not go below 6x.
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Still Won't Work; More Help Please!

Postby mwaldron » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:54 am

I did exactly as instructed, I think. I used Insert Media File to Library/Insert DVD/DVD-VR...I Imported from DVD+-Drive rather than Import from DVD Folder. After it was finished I did a Save As ... and it saved as uvs080701_181743~0 showing the MPEG icon.

It played with Windows Media Player fine with sound. When I brought it into PS4 it had no sound!

When I opened the video file and brought it back in to VS, properties show:

File.
File name: uvs080701_181743~0.mpg
File format: NTSC DVD
File size: 2,565,976 KB
Duration: 4020.020 seconds

Video.
Video type: MPEG-2 Video, Upper Field First
Total frames: 120,480
Attrributes: 24 bits, 720x480, 4:3
Frame rate: 29.970 frames/sec
Data rate: Variable bit rate (Max. 7500 kbps)

Audio.
Audio type: Dolby Digital Audio
Total samples: 192,960,961 samples
Attributes: 4800 Hz
Layer: None
Bit rate: 256 kbps

[/img][/quote]
mwaldron

Re: Still Won't Work; More Help Please!

Postby sjj1805 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:09 am

mwaldron wrote:........
Audio.
Audio type: Dolby Digital Audio
Total samples: 192,960,961 samples
Attributes: 4800 Hz
Layer: None
Bit rate: 256 kbps

I am not at one of my own machines right now but I don't think Dolby is a supported audio format for CD&DVD Picture Show 4. You may have to convert the audio to something else.
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby mwaldron » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:42 pm

I think you're right. Please tell me how. Is there software I can use to change the sound track on the MPEG? I will need some specifics since I don't know the ins and outs of dealing with video and audio.
mwaldron

Postby michaeltee » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:19 pm

mwaldron wrote:I think you're right. Please tell me how. Is there software I can use to change the sound track on the MPEG? I will need some specifics since I don't know the ins and outs of dealing with video and audio.

IMO, better to re-convert from scratch. Once you've loaded the DVD into Roxio, look for audio output options as Dolby audio is not compatible with DVDPS4. Ideally, a compatible DVD-To-MPEG2 conversion would output the audio in MPEG format. If this isn't possible with Roxio, you would need to try a different DVD-To-Video converter. Most of the better applications offer a variety of user defined output specifications and are fairly simple to use. Typically such software is priced at $30 and up.
michaeltee
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 8.1
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B17
processor: AMD A8-7600 Kaveri 28nm
ram: 16.0 GB DC
Video Card: AMD R7 Graphics
sound_card: IDT High Definition Audio + Breakaway Pipeline
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB SATA 3
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 2310m
Corel programs: Installed - PSPX9 PSP2018 VSX10

Postby mwaldron » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:41 pm

A friend helped me find a trial version of a program that allowed me to select video and output settings to creat an MPEG2 video. It worked fine with DVDPS4 and played on my PC and JVC DVD player but only on a Memorex DVD-R disc, not a Memorex DVD-RW using DVDPS4. Of course it showed the trademark on the video portion of my show.

Before buying the program I went back to the Roxio Creator 9XE software that came with mynew DVD+/- burner. I found it did have a DVD converter and was able to set the input and output parameters required by DVDPS4.

I brought it into DVDPS4 and made my video snippets and burnt to new JVC DVD+RW discs, thinking the Memorex RW's were not compatible with JVC DVD player. Again, the disc would play on the PC but not on the DVD player. (Test shows I burnt to CD-R/W did play OK as I recall).

Is this a problem with the Roxio? sjj1805 posted this to me earlier: ¡§There is a format termed packet writing that enables you to use a CD/DVD burner rather like a hard drive where you can drag and drop files onto the disc using Windows Explorer. These packet writing programs can and do interfere with standard methods of burning to a disc and so you have to disable the packet writing software before burning with a program such as PS4.¡¨
mwaldron

Postby michaeltee » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:22 pm

Are you sure your JVC DVD player is an "RW" capable machine? If you haven't already done so, take a look at the manual (or look up your model online) and verify it's format capabilities. If DVD-RW and/or DVD+RW aren't on the list of supported disc formats, that would explain the problem. When burning Video DVD's it is always best to use standard -R or +R media. Most DVD players support both disc types however of the two, "-R" might have the widest compatibility (especially with older players) since it was the first burnable DVD to hit the market.

Keep in mind that standalone DVD players (regardless of age, make, model and/or format capabilities) aren't necessarily 100% consistent when playing burned DVD discs. In other words, a burned disc may play fine on "Machine A" but not on "Machine B". There are a number of possible explanations as to "why", but suffice to say the odds of successful playback with the widest range of machines are greatly increased by using high quality, single layer, +R or -R media.

Also, a burned DVD disc may play properly in a DVD¡ÓRW drive but not in a standalone DVD player. Always test in one or more standalone DVD players before distributing to family and friends.

Lastly, sjj1805 mentioned packet writing applications in a previous reply. I can't speak directly to your "XE" version of Roxio EMC however Roxio does include such an application in most versions of their software. As earlier stated, this should be disabled to avoid problems when creating Video DVD's.
michaeltee
Advisor

Corel programs: Installed - PSPX9 PSP2018 VSX10

Postby mwaldron » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:24 pm

The machine manual says it's "RW" but it has a caveat in a note about the conditions of the recording equipment or the disc itself. Ahem! I've learned my lesson and bought a spindle of Memorex DVD-R discs and these are working.

So, my project is about to go final. Is my best bet to burn to disc image file and then use the Ulead Disc Image Recorder to copy the image file to DVD-R rather than separately burning the project to DVD-Rs directly for multiple copies? Faster and more reliable?

When I click on Open and look at my Open Project File in 4.0 there are many folders including Mom1, Mom2, and Mom3 and then also the Project Versions I've gone thru to get where I am now: Mom1 through Mom11. Mom11 is the current and last project that I will go final with. Can I delete Mom1 through Mom10 with impunity?

Again, thanks for all the help in bringing so many technologies together for me.
mwaldron

Postby michaeltee » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:33 pm

IMO it's not necessary to output your project as "ISO" image or "DVD Folders" unless you're having trouble (or aren't satisfied) with DVDPS4 integrated burning utility. Outputting as "ISO" or "DVD Folders" does give you the option of using external DVD burning software (Nero,Roxio, Ulead Image Recorder, etc.) and there are some who prefer this as a matter of personal choice. Personally, I've seen no evidence of improved quality.

One possible advantage of outputting as "DVD Folders" is the ability to add non-DVD content to your folder before burning in an external application. For example, a folder containing documents or photos that relate to your presentation. These could then be accessed by the recipient of your DVD by opening the disc on their computer in "explore" mode rather than as a Video DVD.

Re old project files, it's just a matter of how far back you might want to go when re-editing/revising your project. As a rule, I might save a few of my more recent revisions for a period of time. But "safety factor" aside, deleting old projects has no bearing whatsoever on the final revision you've chosen to create your show.
michaeltee
Advisor