NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

File name is invalid

CD & DVD Picture Show

File name is invalid

Postby bacemom120 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:59 am

I worked for days on 3 different slide shows for my 5th graders of their events and all of a sudden I can't access this project anymore. Any thoughts?
bacemom120

Postby michaeltee » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:08 am

Welcome to the forum bacemom120!

When you say you can't access it I'm not sure what you mean. Are you getting an error message when you try to open it? If so, please post the details and we'll try to help.
michaeltee
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B17
processor: AMD A8-7600 Kaveri 28nm
ram: 16.0 GB DC
Video Card: AMD R7 Graphics
sound_card: IDT High Definition Audio + Breakaway Pipeline
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB SATA 3
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 2310m
Corel programs: Installed - PSPX9 PSP2018 VSX10

Postby bacemom120 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:43 pm

Thanks for responding. I had worked on the project for DAYS. I had saved it a lot, everytime I made a change. The shortcut to the project worked fine.

When making one last change at 1:30am I think it just just down. I can't remember if at the time there was a specific error or not because while I'm working on projects I constantly get errors, which is why I now resave the project every time I make a change.

Anyway, when I went to open the project up after it closed, it now says,

The file name "C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\5th grade 2008.DPS" is invalid.

So it's not really an error message but somehow it can't get to my project. Thanks for trying to help me out!
bacemom120

Postby michaeltee » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:21 pm

Try to locate the actual project file. Assuming you're using XP, go to START and click the "SEARCH" button. In the box that's labeled "All or part of the file name:" type *.DPS and begin the search. As results appear, look for your project file making sure the file type in not a shortcut. We're trying to locate the actual project file itself. If it is found, stop the search and double click on the file. If properly associated, DVDPS4 should then open with your project loaded. Also, make note of the location where your file was found and create a new shortcut on your desktop.

Let us know if that solves the problem. If not there are a few other things we can try.
michaeltee
Advisor

Postby bacemom120 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:24 pm

I searched but only came up with the shortcuts on my desktop and in my documents. Anything else I can try?
bacemom120

Postby michaeltee » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Well, I was hoping the file had simply been moved but it's sounding like it was deleted at some point. I would try right clicking on the desktop shortcut, select "properties" and then click the "find target" button. If your project file is not present in the folder that subsequently opens, you're probably out of luck.

There are a some free "file recovery" programs that can be downloaded but even if the file is recovered it might be corrupt and unusable by now. If you want to try, I'd recommend "Undelete PLUS"

http://www.undelete-plus.com/
michaeltee
Advisor

Postby bacemom120 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi,

I tried Undelete Plus, no luck.

I've started to recreate the project and now I'm getting errors.

The instruction at "0x7c911e58" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be read.

and

The instruction at "0x08491464" referenced memory at "0x08541ffc". The memory could not be read.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
bacemom120

Postby michaeltee » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:49 pm

In recreating the project are you adding both audio AND video as you proceed? DVDPS4 seems to be more tolerant if audio is added AFTER the video elements have been completed. Also, I recommend using WAV rather than mp3 audio.

In general, the type of errors you're getting are difficult to pinpoint. Sometimes a clean install is the best potential remedy as it will replenish corrupt and/or missing files, libraries and registry entries. I would also recommend contacting tech-support as they may have specific info on the error codes.

-Mike
michaeltee
Advisor

Postby robnellis1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi Mike - I've followed this string because I have also had the following message: "The file name..... is invalid"
I have created a 14 slideshow file with some of the provided music and themes. The program froze up, I waited, then tried to save, the save never completed. When re-starting the program and opening my Barrington1 file I got the following message: "The file name..... is invalid"

I contacted support, N. Duay was helpful. I completed the clean reinstall, exactly as described. I downloaded and ran the patch DPS4_Patch for DPS4. My file was: size 3.206 MB, w/ far less than 988 pictures from my source material(maybe 700 images), and NO video included.
I opened my old file and got the same message: " The file name......is invalid"
I know where my file is located but on each attempt to open it I get the same "invalid" message. I tried the undelete program - it didn't seem to help since I still have the file. It didn't find any deleted copies of the file.

I've got about 30 hours wrapped up in this. Is it gone forever?
Regards,
Robert Nellis
robnellis1

Postby michaeltee » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:06 pm

Hi Robert,

The small file size, in and of itself isn't cause for concern. A ".dps" project file is just an application specific data base that contains the details of your project but not the media itself.

I've never personally encountered the "file name invalid" error in a Corel/Ulead program but when you try to save while the software is crashing it's possible your previous "dps" file was partially overwritten making it corrupt and unusable. If you have a previous "dps" file that was saved under a different file name and/or to a different "safekeeping" location it should still be viable.

For future projects my suggestion would be:

1) Save often AND...

2) After you've successfully saved a project file, close DVDPS4, make a backup copy of the "dps" file, and manually move it to a new folder of your choosing. This way DVDPS4 will not know it's location and therefore will not overwrite it. Leave the original file in it's normal location as you would only need to use your backup copy in an emergency.

I hate to discourage you but unless you have some sort of backup/drive imaging software installed that would allow you to revert your PC to an earlier time OR selectively recover a previous "good" version of the "dps" file, it does look like you've lost your project. Having been in that boat (with other types of projects) I feel your pain ;-(

-Mike
michaeltee
Advisor

Postby robnellis1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:15 pm

Mike - thanks for your help. I have no other copies of the file from "before". I think I only spent $30 or $40 bucks on this program...so my choice now is to trust the software again and use it (with the safety precautions you rec.) or go looking for something better / more stable...

Do you know of any programs that are better, even if more expensive?
Regards,
Robert
robnellis1

Postby michaeltee » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:29 pm

Robert,

It sounds like you've had pretty good luck with DVDPS4 in the past. There are several good slideshow programs to choose from but in all honesty I've yet to meet one that could be considered crash-proof. As long as you save backup copies of your "dps" project files (and keep them current as your projects progress) you should be able to recover most of your work in the event of a crash.
michaeltee
Advisor