NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Movie Factory 6 Plus - No Burner Detected

Moderator: DVDDoug

Postby etech6355 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:41 pm

It's very hard to suggest what could be wrong exchanging posts back & forth.
What I would not do is try to fix this problem by hacking around in the Vista's registry and other manual changes. It's been my experience repairing computers that most people end up doing more damage trying to fix something manually on a computer when it's not working correctly.

The indication that other burning programs are working indicates to me a direct problem with MF6 not seeing or being able to see the hardware devices. This could be a "User Rights" issue or MF6's driver.

When you install MF6 you should install it with administrative privileges or run the installation as administrator. The installation installs 2 drivers that runs as a "Service", each independently. These 2 services can be found on an XP machine under "Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services"
In this screen there is a "Ulead Burner Helper" if you double click on that service it should be running and this file should be loaded in memory and also viewable in the "TaskManager" screen. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe

The other service that should be installed is the "Capture Device Service" "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\DeviceService\DevSvc.exe"
So this would be: "Ulead Burner Helper" and "Capture Device Service" in the windows Administrative services screen.

Under your taskmanager see if these 2 services are running resident. Vista should be the same as XP, so "Start -> Run -> type in taskmgr should bring up the windows taskmanager and under Processes TAB find both the DevSvc.exe and the ULCDRSvr.exe files, they should be listed under the Processes tab.
If they are not listed then go to the services program I stated, double click on the service & check the status of the service. Probably not running or not installed if you can't find it. Anyway, if it's not running (Started) then hit the Start button to turn and start the service running. Don't hack around in the Services screen, only look for these 2 items to see if they are installed and actively loaded in memory.

I think during the installatiion of MF6 there is a Utilities directory that has a few executable programs that must be installed for MF6 to work correctly.
Most problems with MF6+ has been reported installing these additional needed programs.

I also think that to check if the problem is a "User Rights" issue don't launch the program directly. Right_Click on the executable program or link from the start menu and select "Run As" and run the program temporarily as administrator. If you can then see the drives it's a users rights assignment and you can change those settings as administrator.

If these programs aren't running in memory and aren't active I would contact tech support with this information.
etech6355

Postby Mr. Wolf » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:48 am

I have verified what you have stated.

NO User Rights issues exist with the operation of Ulead software or any other software on my system. That I know of?

In windows Administrative services screen both services show active and running.

However, under TaskManager - Processes Tab
Neither Service is visible as currently running.
I have tried to stop & restart both services in windows Administrative services screen, however this doesn't change the status of these services runnning under TaskManager.

I have tried on various occasions to contact Ulead Tech support about this issue and to date I have recieved no correspondance from Ulead. I have even Attempted to ring Ulead TW direct at a hefty price, as their automated service disconnects on every attempt after being placed on hold for approx 15-20 minutes. This also occured when attempting to contact Ulead US Tech Support.

Therefore Attempting to contact Ulead by phone & or e-mail has proven a waist of time and I acknowledge that I have recieved more support on this problem from THIS FORUM & ITS MEMBERS.
Mr. Wolf

Postby sjj1805 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:57 am

I am still on XP but suspect this will be the same in Vista.
have you checked the Windows Error Messages log?

START | RUN dialog box
%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s
and press enter.
Now check the following two folders
Application
System

You will find a red circle with a white cross inside. Double click to open it and there you will find a link
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
This link also contains some hidden code appertaining to your error.
Double click and you will then be given more detailed information and possible cures.
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby Mr. Wolf » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:30 am

Both services are seem to be correctly running after system reboot.

However this has not rectified initial problem where burners are not able to be detected.

There does not seem to be any visible errors in regards to the relevant software or system. when software is running.
All appears to ok. Yet problem still exists?
Mr. Wolf

Postby sjj1805 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:43 pm

I think I would try a firmware update next:
Pioneer DVR-107D & 109 firmware - certainly will not do any harm even if it does not solve the problem.
sjj1805

Postby etech6355 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:21 pm

I curious as to what's causing this. Others running Vista are burning dvd's using MF6. I would think that the installation went correctly because the services were installed and all. Your internal drives are rather old for Vista but the external USB burner should at least be picked up and work.
etech6355

Postby Mr. Wolf » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:23 am

I have tried updating firmware.
No update available for CyberDrive CW038D (internal Burner)
Have updated firmware for both Pioneer DVR-112D Drives. It is the latest firmware available for this drive.
Firmware Version 1.15

1 Pioneer DVR-112D (internal Burner)
1 Pioneer DVR-112D (External USB)

*I am also stumped by these problems as I have tried everything I can think of. (Except throw the software to the rubbish tip - LOL!)

All Drives appear & are functioning correctly within VISTA & other software. This says to me it is a Ulead software problem.]

Appreciate all assistance from all members, as this is the most assistance offered for Ulead products.
Mr. Wolf

Postby sjj1805 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:01 am

Mr. Wolf wrote:As previously stated I have no burning software that has packet-writing capability on my system.
I have even verified this in registry by undertaking manual clean up of no longer used programs.

I have lost count of number of times that I have uninstalled & reinstalled the Ulead DVD MF6 Plus. This repeated process just wastes my time & energy and does not resolve the issue I have, with the program not acknowledging any burning devices on the system.

I am aware that you have uninstalled / reinstalled several times but do not know the method you followed which may simply be uninstalling from the control panel.

Could you try the uninstall method outlined in this link please:
Re-installation procedure
It includes a few extra steps.
sjj1805

Postby Mr. Wolf » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:02 am

Thankyou for recommendations.
I have spent last 2 hours uninstalling & reinstalling Ulead software.
This has not helped with problems only given me HEADACHE.

SAME PROBLEMS STILL EXIST!
Mr. Wolf

Postby Mr. Wolf » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:09 am

I just tried connecting External USB Burner again.

This device is finally connecting & being recognised by Ulead software.
However I still have same issues with internal drives, NOT BEING DETECTED.

Internal Drives:
1 drive is CyberDrive CW038D
1 drive is Pioneer DVR-112D (Same drive & firmware as external drive connected via USB.)
Mr. Wolf

Postby lazael » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:08 pm

I know you've been advised against messing in the registery :o , and am not sure whether you have already tried this option :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install Windows XP or Windows Vista Beta 2
lazael

Postby sjj1805 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:43 am

Just a suggestion but I think you would probably do it anyway.
Create a System Restore Point before tackling the above suggestion.
sjj1805

Postby Mr. Wolf » Tue May 01, 2007 8:33 am

The drives are only invisible to the Ulead software. All other software including the Operating System have the drives functioning correctly.
The link mentioned is used if your Drives are not functioning and invisible to windows OS.

However I have already tried this with my initial tackle of my problems.

* One thing that I thought may have occured is a conflict between the OS when I upgraded to VISTA. I have found that some of the registry entries that were required in XP, are not required in VISTA and VISTA auto removes what is not required. This has caused problems with some other programs I was running. The only way to fix this is to undertake a clean install of OS.

I am planning on re-formatting my system and starting from scratch. However I need a week or so to undertake. This seems to be my only choice of options and is on the cards.

I will keep everyone updated as to whether clean install rectifies all problems.

Thanks for everyones help.
Mr. Wolf

Postby Mr. Wolf » Tue May 22, 2007 9:01 am

I have since undertaken complete reinstall of OS.
I have since had other issues that arose with VISTA, due to limited support from microsoft, in resolving issues.

I am now running Windows XP Pro.
I have reinstalled Ulead Products and Ulead DVDMF6+ appears to work correctly. All drives functioning correctly.

However Since installing on clean system.
InterVideo DVD Copy 5, requires activation. This product is supposed to be released as full version with my Ulead purchase. I have attempted to contact Ulead about this issue and had no response. DVD Copy will not work without activation.
Could someone please assist with a solution?
Thanx,
Nathan
Mr. Wolf

Postby Mr. Wolf » Wed May 23, 2007 6:12 am

I uninstalled software & reinstalled.
This has since resolved issues and all functioning correctly.

Thankyou to everyone who assisted with my problem solving.
Mr. Wolf

Previous

Return to DVD MovieFactory