NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Troubleshooting your computer

Before creating a post please read these guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions.

Moderators: lata, Ken Berry

Troubleshooting your computer

Postby sjj1805 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:10 pm

Here is a reply I have recently submitted to a user who suffered problems following a Windows XP System crash:

The clue to your issue is that the Windows XP System crashed.
So far you have discovered you have a problem with VideoStudio,
Unfortunately I suspect that there is a good likelihood that you will also find other things on your computer, programs or DATA may have also been affected - you just don't know it yet.

Firstly a short lesson about Hard Drives, then a few steps you can follow to try and cure or alleviate the problem.

If you look at the front of your Computer you should see one or more steady green lights. There is one for each hard drive that is installed in your computer. The green light signifies that the hard drive has power and thus turned on.

Alongside that steady light will be another that is mostly turned OFF but every now and again blinks. When lit this signifies that the computer is either reading from or writing to the hard drive. It takes time to read/write the hard drive - firstly a directory has to be checked to establish where on the hard drive the information is (or is going to be) located, then the laser head has to be moved to that disc position for the read/write operation.

To speed things up you install RAM in your computer which retains a big chunk of DATA therefore when saving stuff to the hard drive it is not written immediately but kept in RAM and then moved over to the hard drive when the computer has something else that needs to be installed in RAM to carry out whatever task it is currently performing.

This is why you have to 'Shut Down' the computer and not simply press the 'OFF' button - this enables anything in RAM to be written to the hard drive - otherwise it will be lost forever.

If you have the misfortune of suffering a sudden mains electricity failure
you may be lucky in so far that nothing was at that time being written to the hard disc, or you could be unlucky and the partly written DATA will now effectively render your hard drive useless as it may have destroyed the hard drive directory or even rendered a hard drive cluster unusable.

So what can we do if we have suffered a catastrophe of this nature?
Firstly there isn't one single easy answer because the damage can range from NIL to you need a new hard drive.

All we can do is follow various repair procedures.
1. Sometimes simply rebooting your computer is all that is necessary.
2. Try System Restore to return the computer to a time before the error occurred.
3. Uninstall and Re-install the affected program(s)
4. Run the Windows System File Checker
5. Run the Disc Checking Utility built into Windows. Note the various switches available. The one most often used is the F (Fix) Option but if this fails to cure the problem then you need to use the more extensive R (Repair) Option.
6. Check the Windows Error Log
7. Run a Registry Checking Utility
I must warn users to be very careful when running a Registry Checking Utility. Whilst they are good at what they do, in the wrong hands they can also cause havoc to a good working system.
8. Sometimes it may be necessary to track down a faulty startup event/program by using MsConfig
9. Check your RAM for errors using one of the free RAM checking utilities available for download
10. If a piece of hardware is faulty try rolling back or re-installing the device drivers. Check the device manufacturers website for updated drivers.
REINSTALL DRIVERS
Once your system is up to date, right-click My Computer and choose Manage. When the Computer Management console appears, select Device Manager in the left-hand pane, then look in the right-hand pane for any devices that are missing drivers. (You can also reach Device Manager in the Hardware tab of the System control panel.) Find or download any necessary drivers, remembering that those for many system components will already be on your PC or motherboard installation CD, although they may be somewhat out of date. Follow the relevant hardware manufacturer¡¦s instructions to install each driver, after which your Windows installation will be complete.
11. If a piece of hardware is still faulty after step 10, try removing it and reinserting it in case it has become loose due to movement. Try changing any cables that may connect the device to the motherboard.
12. If a piece of hardware still remains faulty after step 11, check the device manufacturers website for updated firmware. CD and DVD drives especially ¡V Firmware is software that resides inside the device and enables it to communicate with the computer. Think of it as the BIOS of the hardware.
13. At item 4 (Windows Error Log) if a fault appears to be due to a dll file then it is possible that another program has overwritten the existing dll file with a different version. Check you computer for multiple copies of the relevant dll file and make back up copies, rename them all and then try copying each one (one at a time of course!) to your system directory - normally C:\Windows\System or alternatively to the appropriate sub-directory below C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\
(Please view Fix: Import DVD (VOB) Files DMF/VS/MSP for an example of this method)

Other options previously suggested by Forum Members include making a Drive Image

I am sure a few more members will jump in here with a few more suggestions.

(Any useful suggestions to that original post will be copied here for ease of future reference)
Last edited by sjj1805 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:54 am, edited 11 times in total.
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby sjj1805 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:39 pm

Here is a post that may be of assistance to users having a problem with VideoStudio crashing.

cliveports wrote:Thought I'd share my solution with anyone getting as frustrated as I was!

VS10+ kept on crashing the moment I opened it (its a purchased copy BTW with SP1 installed) giving me the "ulead videostudio has encountered a problem and will shut down" type message.

On searching the forums I saw a lot of people had the same problems, I followed the clean de/re-install process as advised on this forum but it had no effect. On searching the internet I noticed a few vague references to codecs and VS clashing so I removed the following:-

QuickTime
RealPlayer
QT alternative
RealPlayer alternative
VLC

And hey presto problem solved, VS is now a solid as a rock!

I'm going to try loading these apps back one-by-one to see if I can find the culprit.

This of course is a summary of hours of frustrating fault finding!!! I was about ready to bin VS, swallow the cost and use another package. So I hope this helps someone out there!!
sjj1805

Postby sjj1805 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 am

Lost CD Rom Drives.
Windows XP

2Dogs wrote:I believe the reference to the Ulead Burning Helper service is a bit of a red herring. I've never liked it running automatically, and always set it to manual with no ill effects.

One thing that has worked for me in the past if no programs, including Windows see the drive, has been to remove the drive, reboot, shut down, then reinstall the drive. It should force windows to re-detect the drive.

Sometimes the 4 pin molex power connectors can fail or become unseated. If it does turn out to be a problem with the power connector, you might try "exercising" it to remove any corrosion, or even using another available connector from the power supply.

You might similarly give the IDE ribbon cable a wiggle, or the SATA cable if it's a SATA drive, though since those cables carry far less current than the power cable, they don't tend to be as problematical.

I would try that before any registry tweaks.

If despite everything else above you still cannot get Windows to recognize your CD Rom Drives try the following:
Please see quote below before starting this procedure.

Run REGEDIT, open up the following folders:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
"Upperfilters"
"Lowerfilters"

Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES

etech6355 wrote:It's helpful to know when performing any editing of the registry that you can easily backup just the settings you plan to change.

Before making changes to the Registry:
In Regedit on the left pane right_Click on the Key your making changes to and select "Export", save the file to your local drive (it will be assigned a .reg extension).
This can be your backup file of the original settings to restore if any changes don't work correctly.

If you have problems due to any changes you've made then double_clicking on the backup file with the .reg extension runs a windows utility that asks you if you want to add this information back into to the registry.....

EDIT:
Further link further down for some more ideas for resolving this isue.
Last edited by sjj1805 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sjj1805

Postby SHADOW57 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:00 am

I'll add a few things to the list that will cause performance problems, but most people
probably overlook.

DUST.....

In the DVD drives...

Dust is a major thorn in my side. All of my PCs are on a rolling wire shelf. They are
not sitting on the floor but dust still finds a way to get into every little crack.

One place that dust causes a BIG problem is in the DVD drives. It will cause the DVDs
to either be unreadable or to not appear at all. A quick shot of air into the drive
solves the problem. To prevent possible drive damage don't use high pressure.

In the mobile racks...

I have a lot of mobile racks (drawers) installed in my PCs. Dust can actually slow them
down to a crawl. I was surprised the first time it happened. Dust gets into the connector
at the rear of the drawer. A shot of air solves the problem.

In the fans...

Dust loves to go for a ride on fans!!! Stick a pencil in the fan to prevent the compressed
air from spinning it. Blow the air on both sides of the fan. Don't forget to blow out the power supply too......
and the mobile racks (drawers) if you have them.

Also blow out the PC case. Blow off the PCI boards, etc. Be careful NOT to cause damage with
the air pressure.

UNPLUG the PC before blowing it out. It's also a VERY good idea to do it outside!

Cans of compressed air can be purchased but it takes a lot of air to clean the PC
so the cost adds up. Refillable air cans are available but a small air compressor
would be a good investment.

I want to mention one more thing about fans. NOISE!!! When they start to make noise most
people probably replace them. I've never replaced a fan and some of them are very old.

Here's what I do.....

---Peel the little label off the fan. If there is a tiny rubber plug, remove it.

---Put ONE drop of oil (like 3-in-1 oil) on the shaft.

---First rotate the fan in both directions to work the oil into the bearing. Blow on the
fan in both directions to work it in even more.

---Replace the rubber plug and label. (If the label was damaged a small piece of
sticky (duct) tape works great. Don't press the tape into the shaft.

One drop of oil makes my fans run quiet for about a year! :D

DON'T use WD-40 because it is NOT oil.
SHADOW57

Postby sjj1805 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:04 am

Further advice for resolving a lost CD/DVD drives issue can be found in this link

No Burner Detected
sjj1805

Return to Please Read This Before Posting & FAQ's