NEW! PhotoMirage

Sharpening not properly applied when exporting photos

Bugs & Suggestions

Sharpening not properly applied when exporting photos

Postby prairiedog » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:12 pm

I've recently noticed that photos sharpened using either the internal Aftershot Pro sharpening or the wavelet sharpening plugin don't look the same when exported. They usually look as if little or no sharpening has been applied.

I've tried a number of things to track down the problem but have had no success. Here are some of the things I've tried:

- I'm on AS Pro 2 under Windows 10. I asked a friend who is using AS Pro 3 to test for me (also Windows but not sure which version). He got the same results as I did.

- Exporting to TIFF (or JPEG with 100% quality) makes no difference. As you would expect, the quality is better but the exported photo still has little or no sharpening applied.

- Exporting using the full resolution of the original photo makes no difference.

- Adjusting the radius on the wavelet sharpening plugin does seem to make a difference. A larger radius results in more sharpening on the exported photo.

- I found this thread which seems to refer to the same problem:
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=57382

This seems like a serious problem. It makes sharpening in Aftershot Pro almost useless. Could I be missing something? Perhaps a setting?

I would be grateful for any help anyone can offer. Perhaps someone could test on their own system?

Thanks,
Demetris
prairiedog

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Corel programs: Aftershot Pro 2

Re: Sharpening not properly applied when exporting photos

Postby dcu42 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Sharpening is dependent on the resolution that you're dealing with and it would appear that Afershot correctly performs sharpening on the full resolution of the picture and then scales it to the specified size when outputing, but the preview when working within Aftershot seems to be scaling the image to your screen and then applying sharpening (without adjusting radius or doing anything else to compensate). This can be clearly seen if you take a large image (for example a 5760 × 3840 image from a 5D Mkiii) and you view it 1:1 in Aftershot and set some sharpening (either with Corel's own sharpen tool or with the Wavelet one) to the level you want to have it, then zoom back out to see the whole picture. As you zoom out you can see the picture getting sharper and sharper!
I did report the problem to Corel but apparently I wasn't cooperative enough with their customer support so they closed the support ticket without mentioning whether they've added this bug to their bug reporting system for any developers to ever get to see.

So the work around is to get yourself an 8K monitor so you can view all your photos at a scale of 1:1 all the time, or simply zoom into 1:1 and try to guess whether the part of the picture you can see is as sharp as you want it and then ignore the preview when viewing the whole photo.
dcu42

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate

Re: Sharpening not properly applied when exporting photos

Postby prairiedog » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks for your response. After further tests I can confirm that the problem is in the preview and not the exported photo. As you have indicated, viewing the photo at 1:1 scaling within Aftershot Pro does give a preview which matches the exported photo. Unfortunately this is not practical for me as I can only see a small section of the photo. Hopefully this issue will be fixed in a future version.
Demetris
prairiedog

operating_system: Windows 10
Corel programs: Aftershot Pro 2

Return to Bugs & Suggestions