NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Need suggestions for replacing Comcast rental modem/router

General "Chatter" or conversations. They need not be directly related to video editing, or any products. We will however restrict the content of this forums to topics that do not involve political, religious, hate, or inflammatory posts. Any such posts will be deleted. Spam posting applies here too..

Moderator: Ken Berry

Need suggestions for replacing Comcast rental modem/router

Postby armxx048 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:09 pm

I currently rent a cable modem/router in one from Comcast, an arris tg862, but it has horrible signal range and barely makes it from my computer room to my other devices. I also don't want to keep paying the rental fee.

I'm looking to replace it. I prefer a separate cable modem and router. The farthest it will need to travel is roughly 50 feet and through 3 walls.

My main activity is online gaming, 2 PC's hooked up through wired connection and I'll also have 5 wireless devices hooked up. My normal use will consist of one PC gaming, Netflix streaming through wireless bluray (50 feet and 3 walls away), and a tablet and phone running at the same time. On occasion I may be running up to 6 devices at once, but only 2 would require heavy bandwidth.

I was hoping to stay sub $100 on each device, total of $200, but if that's not possible while maintaining good quality I could probably swing up to $250 total for both.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thank you.
armxx048

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: E
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Return to Forum Chat