Page 1 of 1

Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:22 pm
by Linda Lou
Is it possible for PSP 2018 to open with my preferred saved workspace? When I go to File>Workspace, it is checked in the list, but PSP does not open the way I set it up and checkmarked to include a specific (shaped grid) image when it opens.
I have to manually open Workspace and click on it for it to show up.

Re: Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:51 pm
by ehume
Linda Lou wrote:Is it possible for PSP 2018 to open with my preferred saved workspace? When I go to File>Workspace, it is checked in the list, but PSP does not open the way I set it up and checkmarked to include a specific (shaped grid) image when it opens.
I have to manually open Workspace and click on it for it to show up.

I have seen your posts before. I have always thought you know more than I about PSP. If you are having trouble, it is trouble indeed. My Q: can any PSP open a workspace for any other version than its own? I ask this because I have customized workspaces for PSPx4 and x6-x9, and none of them show up in PSP 2018. More: they do not show up in each others' workspace lists. Further: the workspaces for 32-bit and 64-bit appear to be the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to make up a new workspace for every version of PSP you have. In my case, I name each one in a numbered series. Each time I make a change I increment the Workspace name and save the Workspace.

Re: Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:24 pm
by JoeB
Linda Lou wrote:Is it possible for PSP 2018 to open with my preferred saved workspace? When I go to File>Workspace, it is checked in the list, but PSP does not open the way I set it up and checkmarked to include a specific (shaped grid) image when it opens.
I have to manually open Workspace and click on it for it to show up.


I would suggest that you manually open the workspace that you want to open by default, then save that workspace again but use a slightly different name for it (use ehume's suggestion and add a numerical suffix to the workspace name) so that you can see in the workspace list that it is the one you just saved. Then close PSP and try opening it again to see if your preferred workspace opens.

Re: Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:35 pm
by JoeB
ehume wrote: My Q: can any PSP open a workspace for any other version than its own? I ask this because I have customized workspaces for PSPx4 and x6-x9, and none of them show up in PSP 2018. More: they do not show up in each others' workspace lists. Further: the workspaces for 32-bit and 64-bit appear to be the same.


Actually, while PSP can open a workspace created in another version of PSP, you do NOT want to try doing that. The reason is that each version has at least some changes from previous versions, and using a workspace from a previous version will have unexpected consequences and end up not working in your newer PSP as expected.

The workspaces you saved in previous versions don't show up in other versions simply because they have been saved in that previous version's workspace folder, to which other versions don't have access. Each version has its own folder for saving workspaces. But a workspace saved in a 32bit PSP will show up in the 64bit version of the same PSP (and vice versa) because they share the same workspace folder.

Re: Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:05 pm
by Linda Lou
JoeB wrote:I would suggest that you manually open the workspace that you want to open by default, then save that workspace again but use a slightly different name for it (use ehume's suggestion and add a numerical suffix to the workspace name) so that you can see in the workspace list that it is the one you just saved. Then close PSP and try opening it again to see if your preferred workspace opens.

That didn't work. I have only 2 workspaces named something totally different with the one I want as default checked as "1" appearing at the top of the list. I still have to go to File>Workspace to load it manually.
It's easier to put my image on the workspace and just close PSP so all I have to do is go to "Recent Files" the next time PSP opens - but that is the step that I was trying to eliminate. Either way, I have to load it from a dropdown list. :cry:
Other than the tabs setting for default is there a default workspace setting somewhere that I missed?

Re: Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:25 pm
by ehume
JoeB wrote:
ehume wrote: My Q: can any PSP open a workspace for any other version than its own? I ask this because I have customized workspaces for PSPx4 and x6-x9, and none of them show up in PSP 2018. More: they do not show up in each others' workspace lists. Further: the workspaces for 32-bit and 64-bit appear to be the same.


Actually, while PSP can open a workspace created in another version of PSP, you do NOT want to try doing that. The reason is that each version has at least some changes from previous versions, and using a workspace from a previous version will have unexpected consequences and end up not working in your newer PSP as expected.

The workspaces you saved in previous versions don't show up in other versions simply because they have been saved in that previous version's workspace folder, to which other versions don't have access. Each version has its own folder for saving workspaces. But a workspace saved in a 32bit PSP will show up in the 64bit version of the same PSP (and vice versa) because they share the same workspace folder.


I have requested as a new feature the ability to open old workspaces but with the new features. We'll see if they do that.

Re: Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:38 am
by Linda Lou
I don't want to open workspaces from old versions, I just want to open one (checked at the top of the list of 3) that is saved. I've been working on that for days and still cannot get PSP to OPEN with that one .png on the workspace. I give up. :cry:

Re: Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:29 am
by hartpaul
After some experimentation and looking at versions back at PSP X2 it appears that you can save a workspace to include an open image.
However if you close PSP and then open it again the new workspace opens OK as the default , but the image is not loaded and supported as being loaded at that time.
To get that image back you must reload that new workspace manually and it will come with the saved image.

This is not intuitive with what the save workspace function suggests and could even be called a bug that has existed in all versions from at least PSP X2.

Re: Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:28 pm
by Linda Lou
hartpaul wrote:After some experimentation and looking at versions back at PSP X2 it appears that you can save a workspace to include an open image.
However if you close PSP and then open it again the new workspace opens OK as the default , but the image is not loaded and supported as being loaded at that time.
To get that image back you must reload that new workspace manually and it will come with the saved image.

This is not intuitive with what the save workspace function suggests and could even be called a bug that has existed in all versions from at least PSP X2.


Yes, that is exactly what is happening. The option to save the workspace with image is there, but it just does not happen.

Re: Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:03 pm
by Linda Lou
How do I get Corel to fix this bug? Loading a saved workspace should work.

Re: Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:51 pm
by JoeB
Linda Lou wrote:How do I get Corel to fix this bug? Loading a saved workspace should work.


EDITED TO BE MORE SPECIFIC:
Loading a saved workspace does work for the most part. The bug is that loading it with an image when that option is checked doesn't work. I originally responded only to the second part of your post and hadn't taken into account the specific issue about saving the workspace with an image.

Re: Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:11 pm
by ehume
JoeB wrote:
Linda Lou wrote:How do I get Corel to fix this bug? Loading a saved workspace should work.


I'm afraid it's not a bug. If it was then many more people would be having the issue and they aren't. When an issue only affects one or two or very few of the many thousands of PSP users then that points to it being system specific for those people or an installation that simply did not install exactly right.

How can you say it is not a bug? OK, you can check the box that says "Include Open Images," but when you close and reopen PSP, no image appears.

As hartpaul says, the image must be reopened or the saved Workspace must be reloaded. This works around the bug. It is still a bug. It happens on my machine, too. I suspect the behavior is widespread, but most people do not open an image when they open PSP. I know I have not tried to use this feature in the 26 years I have been using PSP.

Re: Opening Saved Workspace in PSP2018

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:03 pm
by JoeB
I should have been more specific, and will edit my reply accordingly. I was actually responding to her second sentence that "Loading a saved workspace should work." And for the most part it does. But loading a saved workspace that will also open the image if the box is checked to do so is the part that doesn't work. Thanks for the heads up.