NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Out-of-bound technique 2019

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

Out-of-bound technique 2019

Postby Ken Veal » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:07 pm

I am trying to follow the tutorial below but only get as far step 8, help please
Out-of-bound technique
http://scrapbookcampus.com/2019/01/out- ... technique/

1 “ the first thing you will need to do is promote that layer if it is a background layer. if not, you can skip. if it is, go to layers > promote background layer.
2 then, duplicate that layer with layers > duplicate (or right-click on the layer in the layers palette and choosing duplicate).
3 finally, holding the ctrl key on the keyboard, select both layers in the layers palette, and click on the link icon so both layers will be linked and perfectly aligned all through the process.”
4 both layers are now selected with the link icon showing in each one and copy of raster layer on top
5 image still showing in workspace
6” hide the top layer by clicking on the little eye icon on the left of the layer”. now transparent grid shows with top copy layer only selected
7” then activate the bottom layer. that is the first one we'll work on.”
8 I select bottom layer only, transparent grid only shows in the workspace and not the image.
Ken Veal

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: msi mpg z390 gaming edge ac lga 1151 ddr4
processor: 3.60 gigahertz Intel Core i9-9900K
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: EVGA GeForceGTX 760 2GB GDDR5 PCI E 3.0
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1250GB SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus VS238H-P 23 inch Widescreen LED
Corel programs: PaintSPro2019Ult.PhotoMirage.VS.2018 Ult

Re: Out-of-bound technique 2019

Postby jayson1945 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:44 pm

Why not ask the same question in the forum over there? You may get more detailed help though if you wait you're bound to get good help here.
jayson1945

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
processor: Intel Core i-5 3.2Ghz
ram: 4GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ
Corel programs: PSP X2, X4, X7, PSP 2018,

Postby JoeB » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:23 pm

The problem is likely because this tutorial seems to leaves out a couple of important steps. If you first linked the layers and then followed the instructions to hide the top layer by clicking on the eye icon, that will not only hide the top layer but also the bottom layer. You'll see that by noting that the eye icon has disappeared from both the top and the bottom layers. So when you activate the bottom layer by clicking on it you then have to click the box beside it where the eye icon should be to make the eye icon appear and unhide that bottom layer.

There is also at least one step where the tutorial forgets to remind you that, after making a selection and performing your selection operation, you then have to deselect that selection before moving on with the next step.

Also, when you get to the step where you will have created the frame and changed its perspective it is important when making your magic wand selection that will be used to delete extraneous matter that you click on a transparent area outside of the frame, not just any area outside the frame. In other words, not on any area outside the frame where a non-transparent part of an image on another layer might be showing.

And my personal preference, particularly with the image used in the tutorial, would be to use the freenhand selection tool to select the part of the image that is to be out of bounds rather than activating the Edit Selection option, setting the material palette colors and then having to paint a selection with the paint brush. I find it takes fewer clicks and also makes it easier to make the selection rather than fiddling with a brush size. JMHO and preference.
Last edited by JoeB on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Postby JoeB » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:32 pm

jayson1945 wrote:Why not ask the same question in the forum over there? You may get more detailed help though if you wait you're bound to get good help here.

I'm not Ken Veal, but I suspect that he posted the question here because he is using PSP and wanted to know why it appeared that PSP didn't produce the same result that the tutorial writer described should happen. Remember, the tutorial writer said that the procedure could be done with a variety of different graphic editing programs so might not be as familiar with the vagaries of PSP as many of us in this forum are, and particularly PSP 2019, which is the version Ken uses.

It's also possible that Ken isn't a registered member of that forum and would have to register to get help, whereas he is a registered member of this forum.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Postby jayson1945 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Good points and I don't know what prompted me to make that reply because I would have done the same thing i.e. asked the question here first!!
jayson1945

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
processor: Intel Core i-5 3.2Ghz
ram: 4GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ
Corel programs: PSP X2, X4, X7, PSP 2018,

Return to Paint Shop Pro