NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Problem with Text Snapping to Shapes

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

Problem with Text Snapping to Shapes

Postby donalyn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:45 pm

This is a new problem persisting for me in PSP2019, though it occasionally cropped up in the last version as well.

When I am creating graphics, if I create a layer that contains a shape, even if I create a new layer for laying down text, the text snaps to the edge of the shape and I can't move it from that spot. The text also wraps to the edge of the shape, automatically popping down to a new line, when the edge is reached, often cutting words in half. If I select the text tool, and click on an area outside the shape, it doesn't snap to the shape - I can even type in just a few characters, and then use the pick tool to move the text where I want it in the shape, and then go back to the text tool and continue to edit the text. I've not encountered this very often before - in the previous version it seemed like an occasional glitch, but now in 2019, it is always like this. I have little doubt that I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what it might be. I have used PSP for years, but don't explore it a lot beyond getting certain tasks done. Ideas?
donalyn

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: Intel
ram: 8.00 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 918 Gig

Re: Problem with Text Snapping to Shapes

Postby LeviFiction » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:30 pm

This has been the way of PSP for quite some time. PSPX for sure, maybe a version or two earlier. The Text-Wrapping was introduced just a few versions ago, but the text on a curve has been around for a while.

Text has two options, text-wrapping and text on a curve. You can usually tell when the text tool is going to activate one of these two modes by the way the cursor changes as you hover over parts of the image. IF the text is just a + with a "T" next to it, then it's only going to create text. If it's a T on a curve then it's going to attach the text to the outline of the shape. And if it's a [T} then it's going to enable text wrapping. Text wrapping can be enabled with both shapes and selections.

To avoid this simply hold the ALT key before Clicking to start a new text item. While holding alt you'll notice that the Text cursor returns to normal even above a shape.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Re: Problem with Text Snapping to Shapes

Postby donalyn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks, @LeviFiction - that does the trick!
donalyn

processor: Intel
ram: 8.00 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 918 Gig

Return to Paint Shop Pro