NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

PSP X9 and Graphics Tablet (NOT tablet computer)

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

PSP X9 and Graphics Tablet (NOT tablet computer)

Postby Dijenga » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:46 am

Contacted Corel's Support about a problem with my pen and tablet in X8 and they just kept telling me to "clear your cache" and then the "reinstall your program" idea came to them.

Well, when I got an offer for X9 Ultimate and saw the section of the ad that promised "Improved Stylus and Graphics Tablet support" it sounded great. It actually said: "Combine PaintShop Pro X9 with a graphics tablet or a stylus-friendly PC for a more natural experience. Includes new support for Windows Real-Time Stylus (WinRTS) devices, including the Microsoft Windows Surface family of PCs." Wow! I thought. So I sprung for it.

Snookered. Hoodwinked.

Not that the program sucks (actually like PSP and have had different versions since since X3) but while my tablet worked with X3, it hasn't worked with PSP since. Not in X5, X6 or X8 ... and now X9.

This pen and tablet work in other older Corel programs like Painter Essentials 4 (back before vista came along if I remember right) which I still use on occasion, crap ... it even works in Serif PhotoPlus x4 which was a real joke of a program!

Has anyone gotten their pen and tablet to work properly with PSP X8 or X9 ... as in the pressure option working? If so, please share how you did it.

Thanks.
Still learning, but here are a few of my favorite shots: https://www.500px.com/ccjr221
Dijenga

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Micro Star International
processor: Advanced Micro Devices
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ati 5750
sound_card: Soundblaster X-Fi
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1tb+
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 2 ea 23" HP Monitors
Corel programs: PSP(U) X8,X9,2018 VS(U) X8 & X10

Re: PSP X9 and Graphics Tablet (NOT tablet computer)

Postby Cassel » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:54 am

I am using an old Bamboo fun graphic tablet (i don't have a mouse installed) and it works fine in all versions.
And yes, the pressure works, at least in the last few versions.
And i never did anything special, no setting, no clearing anything. Just plug and play.

Maybe you can specify which pen tablet you are using, so someone using the same model might be able to chime in?
Cassel
http://creationcassel.com/store
Specializing in PSP specific products: scripts and tubes

http://scrapbookcampus.com
for beginner and seasoned scrappers and designers
Cassel

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
ram: 8Gb
Corel programs: PSP 8 (JASC) to PSP X9

Postby Jean-Luc » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:18 pm

I'm using a Wacom tablet with PSP X9.
The pressure works, for example for switching from background color to foreground color during drawing.
Could you be more precise about the problems you encounter ?
http://www.350trucs.com
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9, 2018 and 2019.
Jean-Luc

motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018, 2019

Postby brucet » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:23 pm

I have no issues using my tablet. A couple of things to check. Make sure your preferences are set and check to see that you have the Palettes setting set. When PSP first opens you will find Palettes will always have Brush Variance set to 'funny' settings! Check that you have Brush size set to Normal.

regards
brucet

operating_system: Windows 8.1
ram: 8GB

Postby Dijenga » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:41 pm

Still doesn't work.

After numerous conversations with Corel, they tell me they do not support the use of wacom or wacom compatible tablets with their "PaintShop" software.

However, they will sell me another program (Painter I think he said) so that I can use my tablet.

Crap people!!! There are things in photo editing that require me to be able to use pressure variations (otherwise I would NEVER have sprung for a graphics tablet) to accomplish.

Today, they tried to sell me "particleshop" ... which I would really like to purchase, but until I can use my graphics tablet with the brush variations working properly, I just can't justify any of it!

I was told by one of their tech support folks that wacom tablets are not supported, only winRT stylus. Then why do they say in their advertising that they support graphics tablets AND winrt stylus?
Still learning, but here are a few of my favorite shots: https://www.500px.com/ccjr221
Dijenga

Postby Cassel » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:51 pm

What tablet (make and model) are you using?

I have an old Bamboo Fun tablet that i use with a stylus instead of a mouse and it works perfectly. It has worked from the day i got it, years ago, and it works on all versions of PSP, from the old JASC 8 to the newer Corel X9.
Cassel
http://creationcassel.com/store
Specializing in PSP specific products: scripts and tubes

http://scrapbookcampus.com
for beginner and seasoned scrappers and designers
Cassel

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
ram: 8Gb
Corel programs: PSP 8 (JASC) to PSP X9

Postby Dijenga » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:08 pm

HUION H610 USB Wacom Graphics Drawing board Tablet.

My other Corel programs have NO PROBLEM using this tablet and recognizing it as a wacom tablet.

In Paintshop Pro X8 Ultimate and X9 Ultimate, it is no longer a graphics tablet but a "pointing device" with NO pressure sensitivity.

I also use the tablet with DrawPlus (serif), Photoplus (serif), Manga Studio, Gimp, Livebrush, Artrage, and numerous other programs which all see it as a wacom tablet.

My OS is Windows 10 pro.
Last edited by Dijenga on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dijenga

Postby Dijenga » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:18 pm

A quote from Corel's own pages found here: http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/ultimate/#features
Improved Stylus and Graphics Tablet support

Combine PaintShop Pro X9 with a graphics tablet or a stylus-friendly PC for a more natural experience. Includes new support for Windows Real-Time Stylus (WinRTS) devices, including the Microsoft Windows Surface family of PCs.
Dijenga

Postby brucet » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:24 pm

I have been using a Wacom forever with no issues.

Check your settings.
Select any brush. Then ....

Palettes/Brush Variance.
Scroll down and under Size select Normal.
Same for Opacity, Thickness and Rotation.
See if setting these back to 'Normal' make any difference.

Sometimes the pen is working and the settings are preventing you from seeing it. You can go back and change these once you establish if the pen is actually working.

In Preferences/Miscellaneous I have 'Disable pressure support.........'. Checked. (With a tick).

Besides. Those Corel folks should know their product and know that their product does work with Wacom. Why doesn't Corel realize that their tech help folks are their front line. Their image. Would you eat in a restaurant if the cook looked and dressed like a slob?

regards
brucet

Postby Dijenga » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:43 am

Oh, I can make the pen work. One stroke at a time.

I can open the pen software, put a check in the box "Support TabletPC". Then I must adjust the sensitivity level.

Now I can make ONE - not two, ONLY ONE pass with the pressure working. If I try to make a second, I may or may not get a dot, but I will not get a continuous or even jittery line. I get a dot ONLY.

So, reopen the tablet driver and change the pressure sensitivity and I can make ONLY ONE MORE line.

Each time the driver setting must be saved, draw one line, then reset.

That is ridiculous.
Dijenga

Postby brucet » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:13 am

Hmmmm. I have never used the Wacom settings. It has always been on default. I guess!!!!!
What would happen if you uninstalled the tablet and started again?
I'm just guessing here but my x8 version, and all other software, so it indicates a conflict within the system rather than just with x8 or x9.

good luck.
brucet

Postby Dijenga » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks for trying to help.

The only graphics program on my computer that has a problem with using my tablet is Corel Paintshop Pro.

I have other photo software, tablet works perfectly with them ... but I prefer the abilities of PSP.

I have several drawing and paint programs,and the tablet works flawlessly.

I'll try your suggestion. I really want to get the particleshop brushes ... but if the tablet won't work, it's just a waste for me.
Dijenga

Postby Dijenga » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:59 pm

Uninstalled tablet software, restarted.

Removed windows drivers for tablet, pen, digitizer ... restarted.

Attached tablet ... let windows install drivers ... and I'm exactly where I was before. With or without the tablet software, ONLY PSP has an issue using the pressure variance with my tablet.
Dijenga

Postby Ron P. » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:51 pm

Dijenga wrote:HUION H610 USB Wacom Graphics Drawing board Tablet.

Do you have the Huion 610 or the Huion 610 Pro? Also if it is a Huion, then it is not a Wacom. They're completely different manufacturers. Wacom is the one that is overpriced, way overpriced. I just recently discovered the all the other brands due to a member of another web forum I belong to buying a Huion. Others chimed in touting how good it is, especially how affordable they are. They work every bit as good as a Wacom. The big comparison is Huion's GT220 vs Wacom's Cintiq.

Ok that said I've also read that with the Huion tablets you must follow the installation instructions precisely. If you don't than it will not work properly. I know you said that it works with all other programs, but for some reason is not with PSP. Did you install the drivers for the tablet from the disc or downloaded? Did you do this before you plugged in the USB cord for the tablet? It seems that the Huion tablets are very picky, and don't work properly with whatever MS Windows thinks it needs. I know it seems ridiculous to try again, but sometimes that what it takes. When or if you reinstall the drivers, make sure you disable your antivirus protection for this. I will do that when installing any program. Just be sure to enable it immediately following an installation.

I don't have a Huion, but my next one will be. I'm still using my very old Wacom Intuos 3 small. It's fairly foregiving but it also cost me double what a Huion would have.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Postby Dijenga » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:47 pm

I have the Huion 610. It IS wacom compatible. Difference between the two is the pro does not use a battery in the stylus.

Fixed problem, but you MUST go BEYOND the instructions that come with your tablet. I can't take credit for figuring it out but wanted to share how I fixed the problem with my tablet and PSP X9.

Disconnect tablet from computer. Uninstall tablet software.

Open Device Manager and remove ALL instances of pen and tablet drivers. This includes the Digitizer driver.

Disable ALL internet connections. This is extremely important, and because I didn't do this, I took two extra trips through this process. YOU MUST DISABLE ALL INTERNET CONNECTIONS!

Restart computer, but DO NOT PLUG IN TABLET!!!

Open Device Manager. You will see some of those tablet drivers have been reinstalled by windows. Disable them. (This is the only portion that I added ... without doing this, your new install will not work correctly.)

Now you can install the software for your tablet, but do not reattach it to your system. When the install completes, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. This is NOT OPTIONAL!

After you restart, AND LOG IN, connect your tablet. Now you can re-enable your internet connections.

Open the tablet software and make sure that you have a check in the box "Support TabletPC".

On a side note: Particle shop does not like this setting, so after opening that plugin, open the tablet software and UNCHECK "Support TabletPC" BEFORE you attempt to do any editing then click Apply. If you don't the tablet will not work at all within Particleshop. When your editing is done, open the tablet software and CHECK "Support TabletPC" BEFORE you return to PSP.
Dijenga