NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Focus points

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

Focus points

Postby hakkas » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:23 am

Hi.
I wonder if it is possible to have PSP show focus Points (or AF Points) on the final image?
That information should be coming from the camera, as i use raw. (Or maybe it even works whith other settings than raw..?)
I can find no settings on my camera to save that information.
I use Nikon D600, and PSP X8.
I am sorry if this kind of topic already exists, but i could not find any.

/Hakkas
hakkas

operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Corel programs: PSP X8

Re: Focus points

Postby LeviFiction » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:31 am

As far as I know, no it doesn't have this option.

But as I've never even heard of it before I could be wrong. But first step is to make sure your file does contain those points. Usually ExifTool is the recommended program for determining what information is saved in EXIF. https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Of course, any program that can read in Nikon D600 files an show the complete EXIF list will also work. If you can find those points listed in the EXIF information then you at least will know if your Nikon is saving that info.

From there I can find nothing in PSP that shows the focal points. I don't even see AF Points as something PSP reads in at all. And unfortunately not every program reads in every EXIF tag.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 10
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Postby bruce1951 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:02 pm

I would suggest that the only editor that will show your D600 focus points would be Nikon's NX-D. Then I'm not sure if it would save them on the actual image.

bruce
bruce1951

ram: 8gb

Postby MarkZ » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:53 pm

Check out PhotoME. It shows the focus point used in the thumbnail and for your raw files it may show a graphic of the focus points. It provides loads of data and for example, for my raw files there is a graphic showing the value in each of the AE segments.
Mark
MarkZ

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Intel DQ67SW desktop
processor: Intel Core i7 i7-2600 3.40 GHz
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG Flatron E2241
Corel programs: PSP 2018 X9 X8 X7 X6 ASP3 ASP

Postby hakkas » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:53 am

Thank you all for reply!
It seemed as NX-D is the program i just needed. Only with AF-phothos, but i guess it is not possible to see where i focused manually?

PhotoME gives VERY much information! I like that, but it does not give me a full size picture. Only a thumbnail. Otherwise it's great.

To see these points is only to improve my skills, not to have them om my final pictures. But i guess you figured that out already :-)
Thanks.
hakkas

Postby bruce1951 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:03 am

I'm not 100% sure on what you are trying to achieve, But keep in mind that if you 'recompose' on your Nikon by half pushing the shutter button then only the focus point will show and not the actual point of focus. ie I use singe point focus on my Nikon. I focus by half pushing the shutter release and then recompoes. So regardless of what my intent was the focus point will always show up in NX-D as the center point.

bruce
bruce1951

ram: 8gb

Postby hakkas » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 am

Thank you Bruce! I think i just learned something that i never tried before :-)
This works great with "normal" photography, but not macro, as i mostly shoot. Maybe it does not work the same with macro? Different way to focus?
Well, my achievement would be to just see where i have focused. Most likely that wouldn't tell mell HOW i took my picture, but maybe i learn something.
Also, i normally use manual mode without autofocus. That is why it's hard to see where i have been focused.
But this is a great technique that i will try to learn with macro.
hakkas

Return to Paint Shop Pro