NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Window resize and zoom after changing picture size.

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

Window resize and zoom after changing picture size.

Postby kapral_1 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:59 pm

As my previous topic was hijacked by yet another start-up problem, I'm posting this again. THIS IS NOT START-UP PROBLEM!!!!
I've been using Corel products for many years, the latest one being PaintShopProX2 purchased about 2007. It was great. Now I upgraded my machine to Windows 10 and my old faithful X2 no longer works.
I downloaded trial version Paint Shop Pro 2018. What a disaster!!!
First: it is VERY SLOW in almost all aspects of editing. Using crop tool is now so difficult, it is almost not usable. It takes about 3 seconds to drag a node across. I mean I grab the corner drag it and it takes long time to respond. Also dialog boxes are slow to open.
Second: Window resize. In Preferences>View I've ticked all the boxes, exactly as in my old X2. When resizing an image, the window seems completely out of control. To explain this issue I will try to attach some screen shots. Image99 shows the picture before resizing with those large, undesirable margins, Image100 shows the window after resizing the image. This problem goes on. With my settings the window should "hug" the image. Instead it leaves large margins around the image. Also images appear too small, almost like the window is the right size, but the image is shrunk. When I switch tool eg. from crop to straighten, the image zooms out of control. When I opened two almost identical images by drag and drop, one opens in 100% zoom with scroll bars and the other one is 48% zoom with those strange margins around it. Strangely this is not consistent and random. I can't predict what the window would look like after resizing the picture.
Third: Having to use external program to scan images in is real pain.
Fourth: Clone tool sometimes cloning what it wants, not what I'm selecting.
Those problems makes the new PaintShop very "user unfriendly" and I'm really hesitaiting to press the 'PURCHASE' button.
Attachments
Image100.jpg
Image99.jpg
kapral_1
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:35 am
Location: UK
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: Intel Core i5-7400 CPU 3.00GHz
ram: 32GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 + Intel HD Graphics 630
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 2x LG Ultra HD, 1x Samsung Ultra HD all 24 inch
Corel programs: Paint Shpo Pro X2, Paint Shop Pro 2018

Re: Window resize and zoom after changing picture size.

Postby Kathy_9 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:48 pm

Sometimes doing a reset to default will correct a multitude of issues. Here are the instructions. They reference X6 but apply to all versions. If you have done any customizing, be sure to save your workspace. This won't fix all your issues but may take care of some of them.

https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/arti ... figuration
PSP2019 version 21.1.0.22 & PhotoMirage installed; PSPX thru PSP2018 owned but not installed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37153430@N03/
Kathy_9
Moderator
 
Posts: 2148
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:44 am
Location: USA
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: 8th Gen. Intel Core i7+ 8700 3.20 GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 [6 GB GDDR6 dedicated]
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP EliteDisplay E243m 23.8-inch
Corel programs: PSPX4 ~2019; DrawX5; Painter 2018-19

Re: Window resize and zoom after changing picture size.

Postby hartpaul » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:42 pm

The reason your previous posting was hijacked points out the need to be careful and specific in your choice of topic heading - the vague paintshop Pro 2018 disappointment left it so open for others tto express their disappointment.
Now to your problems and this recent posting which still has information posting. I assume from your comment about purchase button that you are using the 64 bit version of a trial version of PSP 2018 and that its version is
You have plenty of RAM according to your profile - 32 GB
You are using Windows 10 but have not mentioned which version and flavor . As you can see at the bottom of my post I am using Windows 10 version 1607 and 14393.2007 and if you are wondering if that really makes a difference my Jasc PSP 8 and PSPX2 and the other versions mentioned in my profile all work. I suspect you may have Windows 10 version 1709 or perhaps even 1803.

Your complaints:
1. I have no problems with the crop tool no lag or slow down and that is on images that are 5616 x 3744 pixels. No problems on desktop or laptop
2. You mention image 99 and present that as its appearance before resizing, but I would only get that grey outline if I had previously cropped the image. I note that you have the crop tool active so any scaling (rolling the mouse wheel) will cause the grey areas to appear. BTW are you talking about Resize (using Image > Resize) to get new pixel dimensions or Scaling where the image area is increased in the workspace and % of scaling changes while the pixel dimensions remain the same at bottom right,
Note that this grey area is a feature/ bug in this version of PSP which many people have commented on and hate. It has been discussed here:
https://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=63351 with the heading "PSP 2018: Crop tool is a big catastrophe"
I saw only one poster that liked the grey area showing.
If I have the crop tool chosen and load an image I immediately have the grey background and scroll bars. This is normal for this PSP 2018 version 20.0.0.132 and 20 .2.0.1 but as mentioned hated by many.
If I load two images then both behave the same - with crop tool chosen the two images have grey area around and @12 % scaling / zoom. Without the crop tool chosen, they both open @21% scaling and no grey background showing.
Solution avoid using or showing or having active the crop tool unless you really need it.

3. I have a Canon Lide 220 scanner and it works correctly with the 32 bit version of PSP 2018 using the Button to the right of the Open button on the Standard toolbar. It also works via File > Import > From Scanner or Camera and Twain Acquire.
The 64 bit version does work with File > Import > From Scanner or Camera,

4. Clone tool can be made to behave like X2 if you untick Show Overlay on the Tool Options bar. There is a bug in the clone tool for PSP 2018 (not earlier versions) in that it will not clone greyscale images.

I still use X2 for much of my processing followed by X7 , X9 and then 2018.
Systems XP, Win7, Win 8.1,Win 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.2007 & version 1803 Build 17134.285
hartpaul
Advisor
 
Posts: 2529
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm
Location: Australia
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: AsusTex P7P55D
processor: IntelCore I 5 2.67 Ghz
ram: 8 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
sound_card: Nvidia High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1000 Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC
Corel programs: PSP8,X2 to X9,2018,2019

Re: Window resize and zoom after changing picture size.

Postby JoeB » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:04 am

kapral_1 wrote:As my previous topic was hijacked by yet another start-up problem, I'm posting this again. THIS IS NOT START-UP PROBLEM!!!!


I posted a reply to you in your original post (my reply is immediately under your original post) where I stated that editing is not slow with my PSP, AND I posted a link to another thread that dealt with the issue of the change in size of images when the crop tool was active. You did not reply to me post. Did you read the information in the link it provided? If so, and if that's not the problem you were having, then you should have posted back with more specific detail of the actual problem.

Here is the link back to my reply to you in the original post, because you haven't given any indication that you actually read it:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=63444&p=355225#p355243
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
JoeB
 
Posts: 2344
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Canada
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Re: Window resize and zoom after changing picture size.

Postby kapral_1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:54 am

JoeB wrote:
kapral_1 wrote:As my previous topic was hijacked by yet another start-up problem, I'm posting this again. THIS IS NOT START-UP PROBLEM!!!!


I posted a reply to you in your original post (my reply is immediately under your original post) where I stated that editing is not slow with my PSP, AND I posted a link to another thread that dealt with the issue of the change in size of images when the crop tool was active. You did not reply to me post. Did you read the information in the link it provided? If so, and if that's not the problem you were having, then you should have posted back with more specific detail of the actual problem.

Here is the link back to my reply to you in the original post, because you haven't given any indication that you actually read it:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=63444&p=355225#p355243

I started reading that post and from the beginning it looked irrelevant to my problem. I now replied there quoting your post. My apologies.
kapral_1
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:35 am
Location: UK
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: Intel Core i5-7400 CPU 3.00GHz
ram: 32GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 + Intel HD Graphics 630
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 2x LG Ultra HD, 1x Samsung Ultra HD all 24 inch
Corel programs: Paint Shpo Pro X2, Paint Shop Pro 2018

Re: Window resize and zoom after changing picture size.

Postby kapral_1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:25 am

hartpaul wrote:The reason your previous posting was hijacked points out the need to be careful and specific in your choice of topic heading - the vague paintshop Pro 2018 disappointment left it so open for others tto express their disappointment.
Now to your problems and this recent posting which still has information posting. I assume from your comment about purchase button that you are using the 64 bit version of a trial version of PSP 2018 and that its version is
You have plenty of RAM according to your profile - 32 GB
You are using Windows 10 but have not mentioned which version and flavor . As you can see at the bottom of my post I am using Windows 10 version 1607 and 14393.2007 and if you are wondering if that really makes a difference my Jasc PSP 8 and PSPX2 and the other versions mentioned in my profile all work. I suspect you may have Windows 10 version 1709 or perhaps even 1803.

Your complaints:
1. I have no problems with the crop tool no lag or slow down and that is on images that are 5616 x 3744 pixels. No problems on desktop or laptop
2. You mention image 99 and present that as its appearance before resizing, but I would only get that grey outline if I had previously cropped the image. I note that you have the crop tool active so any scaling (rolling the mouse wheel) will cause the grey areas to appear. BTW are you talking about Resize (using Image > Resize) to get new pixel dimensions or Scaling where the image area is increased in the workspace and % of scaling changes while the pixel dimensions remain the same at bottom right,
Note that this grey area is a feature/ bug in this version of PSP which many people have commented on and hate. It has been discussed here:
https://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=63351 with the heading "PSP 2018: Crop tool is a big catastrophe"
I saw only one poster that liked the grey area showing.
If I have the crop tool chosen and load an image I immediately have the grey background and scroll bars. This is normal for this PSP 2018 version 20.0.0.132 and 20 .2.0.1 but as mentioned hated by many.
If I load two images then both behave the same - with crop tool chosen the two images have grey area around and @12 % scaling / zoom. Without the crop tool chosen, they both open @21% scaling and no grey background showing.
Solution avoid using or showing or having active the crop tool unless you really need it.

3. I have a Canon Lide 220 scanner and it works correctly with the 32 bit version of PSP 2018 using the Button to the right of the Open button on the Standard toolbar. It also works via File > Import > From Scanner or Camera and Twain Acquire.
The 64 bit version does work with File > Import > From Scanner or Camera,

4. Clone tool can be made to behave like X2 if you untick Show Overlay on the Tool Options bar. There is a bug in the clone tool for PSP 2018 (not earlier versions) in that it will not clone greyscale images.

I still use X2 for much of my processing followed by X7 , X9 and then 2018.

Thank you for your reply. It clarified some of my issues.
Unfortunately not selecting the Crop tool is not going to work for me since I'm using it on every image I scan. Options for Crop tool are urgently needed!!!
The PSP Pro 2018 doesn't see my 64bit Canon Lide 700F driver. By using File > Import > From Scanner or Camera I'm getting much worse quality scans.
Clone tool - I think you are right - misbehave on grayscale images only.
kapral_1
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:35 am
Location: UK
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: Intel Core i5-7400 CPU 3.00GHz
ram: 32GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 + Intel HD Graphics 630
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 2x LG Ultra HD, 1x Samsung Ultra HD all 24 inch
Corel programs: Paint Shpo Pro X2, Paint Shop Pro 2018


Return to Paint Shop Pro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests