NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Windshield glare

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

Windshield glare

Postby okyou » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:11 am

Hello,

Do anyone has experience removing or reducing the glare on the windshield when taking picture inside a auto ? In the attached photo below, is there any way to clear the left side of the photo to be consistent with the right side ?
pic.jpg

Thanks for anyone who would share their success experience with me.
okyou

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 16GB
Video Card: onboard
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Corel programs: X9 Ultimate

Re: Windshield glare

Postby JoeB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:08 am

Here's the best I could come up with after about 20 minutes experimenting with fade correction on various selections that I promoted to layers before applying the correction. For some reason I had trouble dealing much with a couple of still quite obvious strands of glare at middle left. There are likely other options available also but it's difficult to determine what might work best with such a small image because being so small means it lacks digital information detail.
Attachments
glare.jpg
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018 (20.2.0.1 x64)
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby Jean-Luc » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 pm

okyou wrote:Do anyone has experience removing or reducing the glare on the windshield when taking picture inside a auto ?

When taking picture inside an auto you need to place the camera against the glass ar very near. What you see here is the reflection from elements inside the car.
http://www.paintshoppro.eu
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9 and 2018.
Jean-Luc

motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018

Postby bruce1951 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:01 pm

You can darken the blown area but you can't recreate data that hasn't been captured. As pointed out prevent any light getting in between the windscreen and the camera lens.

bruce
bruce1951

operating_system: Windows 8.1
ram: 8gb

Postby okyou » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:19 am

Thanks for your comments. Especial thanks to JoeB for spending him time helping me out. The picture you achieved is a hell lot better than what I got. Would you mind sharing some insight how to use the fade correct to achieve what you get. I wish I can send you a higher resolution photo to test but this board has a limit on how large an attachment can be .
okyou

Video Card: onboard
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Corel programs: X9 Ultimate

Postby JoeB » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:54 am

Because of your request or some detail I re-worked the image, which went faster than yesterdays effort because I was more familiar with what I could achieve. I also did some cloning to clean it up a bit more.

If you compare the first image below (the final result) to the image I posted yesterday you'll see that, particularly with the cloning of some of the green tree foliage at left above and to the left of the yellow taxi, I covered up more of the glare and the very dark lines at the edges of the glare. I also used the clone tool to remove most of the windshield glare in the right bottom corner of the image, cloning from the pavement in front of the glare and the grass in front of the glare.

But keep in mind that (a) I'm working with a small image with little detail and lots of artifacts from what looks like aggressive resizing, and (b) this was done quickly without being as careful as I would be with a better image and one that I really wanted to do my best with because it's only an example to give you starting points. :-)

That said, the first image below is the result. The three images that follow are exactly the same, completed image but the selections shown are those I actually used. It's just that they're not being shown as the image improvements progressed because I didn't think to take screenshots as they progressed. So they just show you where I made the selections. And here are the steps I followed:

1) The second image is my first selection, made with the Freehand selection set to Point to Point, Feather 1, Smoothing 2, Anti-alias checked. This selected all of the cars and buildings on the left side of the road/image. All settings would differ on a larger image. I then promoted that selection to a layer and used Adjust>Color>Fade Correction at 50.

2) Back to the Point to Point, I set it to Remove and removed much of the right part of the selection to end up with Selection 2. I promoted that to a layer and used Fade Correction quite aggressively, approximately 90.

3) I deleted that selection completely and used the Point to Point to make Selection 3, which I also promoted to a layer. Fade correction once more, set to 35 - 40 (can't remember exactly).

4) I then added a blank new Raster layer. With the Clone tool set to Hardness of about 60 and Use All Layers checked, I cloned some of the tree foliage above and to the left of the yellow taxi to cover up more glare and dark lines. I also cloned the pavement and grass in front of the windshield glare at the bottom right of the image and cleaned up that glare to some extent.

Hope this helps give you a starting point. If your actual image is a lot larger it will have more detail and, perhaps, more color, and with effort, experimenting with settings, other use of the Clone tool and perhaps the Magic Fill tool (I can see some places where I'd use it if I was spending more time on this) and some patience you could likely get a much better result.
Attachments
Quick glare removal result.jpg
Quick Glare Removal result
Selection 1.jpg
Selection 1
Selection 2.jpg
Selection 2
Selection 3.jpg
Selection 3
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018 (20.2.0.1 x64)