NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Color Workspace & Printer Issues

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

Re: Color Workspace & Printer Issues

Postby bruce1951 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Color management and printing is a real mine field of issues just waiting to go off.

I do large numbers of prints for a certain museum. A3+. I have repeat orders and the initial work has to be color correct. I gave up on PSP simply because I couldn't get a stable and consistent result. You could spend time setting up every thing in PSP, think you have it right, and then it changes. If you ONLY used PSP then maybe you could get away with PSP's management. But I use other software in the process so color management for the system is key. Not just PSP. It is obvious that Color Management is beyond those at Corel. Either they don't have the ability to correct it or are simply ignoring the issue as being unimportant.

However is goes much further than the Color Management in PSP. Color reproduction has so many elements. Our systems have to match. Video cards etc. Screen/monitors have to match. Viewing conditions have to match. Software has to be the same. And with the same settings. Workflows have to be the same. Then we have printers, profiles, paper and ink. And all this just so we compare the results to solve a perceive problem.

I had a problem when I had to find another paper supply when Ilford was nolonger available. A simple change of paper can make a huge difference.

My point being - regardless of how PSP/Corel treats color management I think it's a futile task to try and solve these types of issues while there are so many variables.

bruce
bruce1951

operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 8gb

Postby JoeB » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:19 am

@bruce1951,

If I understand your point I agree completely. Given all of the variables you mentioned, each individual has to first determine what they are trying to achieve for final output of their graphic project - i.e., what/who is their target market and what does that target market expect to receive. Then each individual must find the best settings are on their computer, within their graphic program, and within their output device that produces the required/desired output. If the output is printing yourself then that also means finding the right ink and paper that produces the desired result consistently. If it is sending to a print shop then the digital output as viewed and analysed by them must be what they ask for, and etc. So there's no one-size-fits-all solution and most of the debate is pointless.

That doesn't mean, however, that Corel shouldn't fix PSP so that various color profiles that are used in PSP by users at least provide one, consistent output for that user, both on screen and in print - provided that the user keep all of the other variables consistent also.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
JoeB

motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Postby CHoffman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:20 am

IMO, color management is a necessary evil. Though there are many variables that can confuse the issue, it doesn't have to be rocket surgery. At least to get it close enough for most people's purposes. There are multiple parties involved including Microsoft, since you have to start with Windows color management (actually you don't, but PSP does), the image processing program (PSP), the all important printer company (that also wrote the driver) and finally, any third parties that supply things like printing paper and matching icc files. Don't forget calibration and profile generating hardware and software. When something doesn't work it can be tough to isolate just where the problem is.

Given all that, I don't have any trouble with color management using Qimage. It works for me and many others pretty much every time. It works predictably and as you'd expect it to work. With that as a reference, I'm pretty sure there's a fundamental issue with PSP that shows up worst with wide gamut images, and I'm trying to address that with Corel. I realize that nothing's changed in about ten years, but if they can address that, so I get an output that agrees with Qimage, the rest of the instabilities should be easier to address. I don't think it's broken in a big way, in fact it might be just a few lines of code.

IMO, PSP is remarkably good in so many ways, imagine if color management worked as expected.
CHoffman

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Asus Z270-A
processor: i7700K 4.2 GHz
ram: 16.0 GB
Video Card: Nvidia K1200
sound_card: integrated or Nvidia or Emu
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2T+SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Viewsonic VP2468
Corel programs: Paintshop Pro 2018 & bundle

Postby bruce1951 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:50 am

I also rely on QImage. It's the only way, IMHO, to print reliably.

The issue, as I see it, is that PSP makes changes to your system that don't promote consistency.
I set my systems color management and profiles in windows. QImage uses those settings without argument. Even if they are wrong QImage rigorously follows its master. Same with my preferred editor, Photoline.
However PSP has a bad habit of ignoring any system settings and imposing its own. (It's a while since I have tried to use PSP for color work so I can't remember the full details. But a simple test can show what happens. Use another editor. Then go to PSP and watch your colors change. In Photoline I can use PSP as an external editor. But the colors that return from PSP into photoline change).

Point being - PSP is a great editor. But if critical color is important to you find a work around.

bruce
bruce1951

ram: 8gb

Postby CHoffman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:27 pm

Just curious- does anybody know if 2019 color management is any different than 2018?
CHoffman

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Asus Z270-A
processor: i7700K 4.2 GHz
ram: 16.0 GB
Video Card: Nvidia K1200
sound_card: integrated or Nvidia or Emu
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2T+SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Viewsonic VP2468
Corel programs: Paintshop Pro 2018 & bundle

Postby jack26 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 am

Hello,

First of all, whenever you use color printer few things you will remember using the best color for printing which supports printer because sometimes if the color quality isn't better than your document, images etc never print well. Always use printer setting for print any size of the printing.
Thanks...
jack26

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Previous

Return to Paint Shop Pro