NEW! PhotoMirage

"No scanner found" in PSP8

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

Re: "No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby JoeB » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:14 am

Simone Corel UK wrote:Hi Jean-Luc

This is exactly the point: some programs still have the bridge like that PhotoFiltre program. PSPX4 had the bridge, but since there are 64 bit applications we don't have it any more as well as Adobe took this plugin out for Photoshop. The bridge was TWAIN, but since doesn't work any more, either people use programs that have the bridge like PhotoFiltre, Vuescan and others, or they do it as my friend does: Launches the same directly.


Well, then that sounds like the original poster was correct in that it is a PSP issue, because it seems to me that you're saying that PSP deliberately left the bridge out of later PSP versions (and so did Photoshop), while programs like PhotoFiltre have retained that coding and therefore that ability.

Is there any particular reason why Corel had to remove the bridge ability to make their later programs work? Couldn't it have been retained so that - even if it didn't work in 64bit programs (and I'm not sure why it wouldn't) it would be available in Corel's 32bit PSP?

What I'm saying is that your answer doesn't exactly explain the issue. It just says that PSP removed the bridge ability, but doesn't explain whether or not that was necessary and, if not, why they did so. Because doing so has caused issues for many PSP users who moved on to later PSP versions, and removing abilities that the program previous had for no reason - unless you have the reason - is one of the retrograde steps that many users often complain about as new versions of PSP are released.

I, for one, would appreciate a somewhat more detailed explanation about this, not just saying that PSP removed the bridge. Just because it's legacy stuff is not, by the way, a good reason.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018 (20.2.0.1 x64)
JoeB
 
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Canada
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Re: "No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby brucet » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:03 am

Not sure if this is relevant or not but!! I'm using PSPx8. The only way I can scan with my Canon multifunction is to use Import/From Scanner or Camera. The Twain options don't work.

regards
brucet
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:37 am
Location: Australia
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 8GB

Re: "No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby Jean-Luc » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:07 pm

brucet wrote:Not sure if this is relevant or not but!! I'm using PSPx8. The only way I can scan with my Canon multifunction is to use Import/From Scanner or Camera. The Twain options don't work.
regards

For Simone :
thank you for the confirmation this feature is removed now in PSP. But why are those options still visible in PSP ?
For Brucet (and JoeB) :
The French user confirms :
she may scan with twain and Photofiltre but not with PSP 2018.
Her scanner doesn't launch in PSP 2018 with Import/From Scanner or Camera. Twain is also useless.
http://www.paintshoppro.eu
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9 and 2018.
Jean-Luc
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:50 pm
Location: Belgium (French speaking)
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018

Re: "No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby JoeB » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:02 pm

brucet wrote:Not sure if this is relevant or not but!! I'm using PSPx8. The only way I can scan with my Canon multifunction is to use Import/From Scanner or Camera. The Twain options don't work.


I don' know what Canon multifunction you have, but I have the MP280. With PSPX8 and using TWAIN Acquire I get the Scan Gear interface shown in my attachment (the same one I get with any PSP version). Clicking the blue "I" (information) button near top left provides the information window also showing in this attachment. The driver number listed is 17.0.4. I do not recall how or when I installed drivers for my printer so don't know how it is that I have that driver. However, a Google search led me to this link where the driver is available if you want to look into it. It could be an older driver, and I use WIN 8.1 not 10. I do not, of course, take any responsibility for anything that happens from installing any drivers! :-)

https://www.canonprintersdrivers.com/ca ... -lide-210/

There is also Canon software called MP Navigator, about which I don't know much but it seems to me to be a program that can be used independently to scan rather than invoking scanner software from within PSP. The brief descriptions says: "Canon MP Navigator EX for Windows allows you to scan, save, and print photos and documents. You can also edit images, or attach images to email using this application software." This program was last updated in 2015 to add WIN10 support. If interested the driver is here:

http://support-th.canon-asia.com/conten ... 95702.html
Attachments
Scan Gear.gif
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018 (20.2.0.1 x64)
JoeB
 
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Canada
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Re: "No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby Ken Berry » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:03 pm

JoeB wrote:With PSPX8 and using TWAIN Acquire I get the Scan Gear interface shown in my attachment (the same one I get with any PSP version).


Just a point of clarification here, Joe. Do you get this with both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of PSP? When I have either of my Canon scanners connected I certainly also get the CanoScan TWAIN interface when I click on Import > TWAIN Acquire in my 32 bit versions of the various PSP versions I have installed under Windows 10. But in the 64 bit versions, all I get is No Scanner Found, and I then have to use the WIA route (though it is easy enough to revert to the 32 bit version to scan).

I also get the Brother TWAIN screen if I choose my Brother multifunction printer as the scanner in PSP 32 bit. But 64 bit PSP cannot see any TWAIN source, even though my Brother theoretically has a 64 bit TWAIN driver installed.

I can also open the stand-alone CanoScan Toolbox program which allows me to perform various actions, including scanning. In fact for that it allows me to set two separate graphics programs for the scan to be sent to for processing. I have set these as PSP and Photoshop. But again this only works with the 32 bit version of PSP.

Thanks for the link to MP Navigator. I have installed it but not had time yet to play around with it.

EDIT: That MP Navigator link is to the latest version, and it only works with a limited series of recent Canon scanners. You have to search for the version which works with your earlier scanners...
Ken Berry
User avatar
Ken Berry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 20130
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:36 pm
Location: Levin, New Zealand
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 28" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Re: "No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby brucet » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:31 pm

FWIW my Canon is a MB230. I have another printer for photo printing so the Canon is for quick and nasty work. I scan about once or twice a year. So it's not very important to me. Ken I only have the 64bit version of x8 installed. Why only the 64bit? Well I like a clean and simple computer, plus its old and full of crap. So one less program suits me.

Anyway the Import via Camera scanner works for me rather than using Twain.

regards
brucet
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:37 am
Location: Australia
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 8GB

Re: "No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby JoeB » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 pm

brucet wrote:FWIW my Canon is a MB230. I have another printer for photo printing so the Canon is for quick and nasty work. I scan about once or twice a year. So it's not very important to me. Ken I only have the 64bit version of x8 installed.


That explains why you can't see the TWAIN interface. Most of them only work with 32bit programs as you'll notice from various posts earlier in this thread.

Anyway the Import via Camera scanner works for me rather than using Twain.


Probably would be fine for you given that, as you say, you only use it for quick and nasty work. The reason most of us want the TWAIN interface is because that software offers much more flexibility in choosing various scan options, some of them including multiple selections, etc.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018 (20.2.0.1 x64)
JoeB
 
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Canada
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Re: "No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby JoeB » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:56 pm

Ken Berry wrote:
JoeB wrote:With PSPX8 and using TWAIN Acquire I get the Scan Gear interface shown in my attachment (the same one I get with any PSP version).


Just a point of clarification here, Joe. Do you get this with both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of PSP?


As mentioned in my previous posts, I only get the TWAIN interface with 32bit PSP, not 64bit. I'm not even sure there is a TWAIN driver that actually works with 64bit programs but, if there is, they are few and far between. :-)

I also get the Brother TWAIN screen if I choose my Brother multifunction printer as the scanner in PSP 32 bit. But 64 bit PSP cannot see any TWAIN source, even though my Brother theoretically has a 64 bit TWAIN driver installed.


As I speculated in a previous post, more often than not when a TWAIN driver is advertised as 64bit software that only means that it is optimized for 64bit operating systems, not necessarily that it will run on 64bit graphic programs (unless specifically stated in the specs, of course).

I can also open the stand-alone CanoScan Toolbox program which allows me to perform various actions, including scanning. In fact for that it allows me to set two separate graphics programs for the scan to be sent to for processing. I have set these as PSP and Photoshop. But again this only works with the 32 bit version of PSP.


I'm surprised that the Toolbox won't let you send the scan to the 63bit version of PSP given the Toolbox is a standalone program. I haven't checked but perhaps there is actually a 64bit program compatible version of the Toolbox??

Thanks for the link to MP Navigator. I have installed it but not had time yet to play around with it.

EDIT: That MP Navigator link is to the latest version, and it only works with a limited series of recent Canon scanners. You have to search for the version which works with your earlier scanners...


Thanks for that extra info. I kind of figured that Navigator might have versions that were created for specific model categories (e.g., MP series, MX series, etc.), and appreciate that info. I'm not sure if the Canon site specifies which printer series each Navigator version works with, but for those who want it it's easy enough to download v.4 and perhaps other versions as well. Maybe the EX at the end of this Navigator's name has specific meaning as well, because I believe some versions of Navigator don't have that extra designation.

EDIT: I just tried MP Navigator EX 4 for the MP280. Results of my experiment in a separate post below.
Last edited by JoeB on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018 (20.2.0.1 x64)
JoeB
 
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Canada
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Re: "No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby brucet » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:06 am

JoeB the only point of my post was to point out that the Twain wasn't the only option.

regards
brucet
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:37 am
Location: Australia
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 8GB

Re: "No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby JoeB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:01 am

@Ken Barry,

Further to my previous reply to you where I said I was surprised that CanoScan wouldn't let you sent your scan to PSP2018 64bit, I didn't find a CanoScan that was described as working with my MP280 but found that V.4 of MP Navigator EX was compatible so downloaded and installed that.

Navigator only allows me to select one program to send the scan to. It also allows me to do the scan with the Scan Gear driver interface that I use when I actually select the TWAIN import option in my 32bit PSP. So, using Navigator I set it to send the scan to my 64bit (instead of 32bit) version of PSP. Then I selected the scan button, got my Scan Gear interface which allows me to adjust various settings, previewed the scan and scanned. When the scan was completed it did open my 64 bit version of PSP along with the scanned image. It will also send the image to that PSP version if it is already open.

So while I still can't access my TWAIN driver from within the 64bit version of PSP, and for those who have Canon printers, then Simone's suggestion works if you install a version of Navigator EX that works with your Canon printer and set it to send the scanned image to PSP 64bit versions. You can also check the option to use your scanner driver if you prefer it to Navigator's Auto Scan option because of it allowing you to preview and might have more fine tuning options (mine being Scan Gear), at least on WIN 8.1. Again, I don't know about CanoScan because I don't have it installed so can't say why it won't send your scans to PSP 64bit. That doesn't make sense to me but maybe it's because I'm on WIN 8.1. Even so, that shouldn't matter, but I guess that's software for you. :-)

Also again, that Navigator software could also be useful for those who can't seem to see their scanner driver in the 32bit version of PSP. I don't really need it at all because I work in the 32bit version (plugins, of course) and mine sees my TWAIN driver. But if for some reason I want to scan to my 64bit PSP2018 I now have a way to do it quite easily I guess. So thanks to Simone for pointing that out. For me at least this has been an informative thread! :-)
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018 (20.2.0.1 x64)
JoeB
 
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Canada
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Previous

Return to Paint Shop Pro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests