NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Competitive software

Competitive software

Postby Devil » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:10 am

There has been a spate of posts lately about NLEs that can be used to replace MSP. Some of these have gone beyond the permissible according to the forum rules and others have been more than borderline. As moderator, I've been fairly tolerant, probably too much so. Be warned that I shall, in future apply the rules to the letter. You may mention competitive software by name but you may no longer discuss its characteristics, virtues, vices, any commercial data or links to it. Anything else will be edited out or the post(s) or threads locked or even deleted.

I recently wrote the following in one such thread:

Corel offer us the space for this forum and Corel imposes its rules, one of which is that it be used to discuss Corel's related products:
All discussion in this forum should be related to InterVideo and Ulead products only (except for General Discussion section).

If you just mention a competitive product on some other forums, the post is deleted. Here we have been reasonably tolerant and there many mentions of such software, but the line must be drawn at discussing the detailed pros and cons of each. There are many non-sponsored video forums on the Internet where this can be done. After all, if you go to a Shell filling station for a tankful of fuel, would you not be surprised to see a banner stating "Exxon/Mobil fuel gives you a better consumption"? I'm sure Mr Shell would soon tear it down!

As for it not affecting Corel, this is not true. Corel is offering MSP8 users a free VS11.5+. Why? Because this will allow you into the upgrade path to a new VS software, which we have been told is in the pipeline. Until we know what this will contain, it would not be in Corel's interests to see other NLEs promoted on this board. And please don't ask me what it will contain or when it will be released, because I know no more than you!

So, the unwritten rule is that mentioning other, non-Corel, NLEs is tolerated, discussing their details is not.

I hope this is now clear.
Devil

P4 Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz/Elite NVidia NF650iSLIT-A/2 Gb dual channel FSB 1333 MHz/Gainward NVidia 7300/2 x 80 Gb, 1 x 300 Gb, 1 x 200 Gb/DVCAM DRV-1000P drive/ Pan NV-DX1&-DX100/MSP8/WS2/PI11/C3D etc.
Devil

Postby robtywlak » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:35 am

I agree totally. This is an MSP forum...not anything else.

As an MSP8 user and Beta tester I have been out of touch with this forum and video editing in general lately - how do I get one of those free Vs11.5+ upgrades??

Just wondering.

And another note - have not heard from / talked to Terry in over a year...how is he doing???

Regards,

Rob Tywlak
Athalon 64 X2 6400+, 1GIG DD2 PC6400, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM MB, ADS Pryo IEEE-1394, 260 Gig UDMA133 Hard Drive + 15 gig system drive, 18x DVDRW+/-, Windows XP SP2. 47" LCD HDTV / Monitor 1920x1080
robtywlak

Postby sjj1805 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:23 am

Welcome back :!:
The thread regarding the free copy of VideoStudio is here.

Terry has popped in occasionally his last visit was on 8 August 08.
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Over-moderation?

Postby pennstat » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:47 am

With all due respect, Corel has left MSP users out in the lurch. We can no longer look forward to new versions; yet, VSPX2 is simply too feature-weak for the power user who is used to MSP.

If there are MSP users who have found something else that's comparable, they should be allowed to discuss it. Exactly what harm is there in allowing the discussion of competing products by former or soon-to-be-former MPS users until such time as Corel makes VSP on a level even with or at least close to that of MSP, if they ever do? (I'm not holding my breath on that one, frankly.)
pennstat

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASRock M3A785GXH-128M
processor: AMD Phenom II X4 945
ram: 4GB
Video Card: NVidia GTS 250
sound_card: On-board Realtek

Postby Devil » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:55 am

If you go into Bloomingdales and cannot find the item you want, do you think that you will see a notice inviting you to look for it in J.C. Penney's? The problem is, and I've seen it in other forums that have permitted it, that it becomes a long, drawn out, slanging match between the proponents of each of the four or five MSP competitors, comparing the advantages and disadvantages of each. This is a sterile exercise.

Although this forum is independent of Corel, in the sense that they make very few interventions here, it is still hosted, sponsored and monitored by Corel. If they see undue recommendations to go to J.C. Penney's or anyone else, don't you think they could get miffed and close down the whole caboodle?

So, the answer is NO. Comparisons, being odious, are not permitted.
Devil

P4 Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz/Elite NVidia NF650iSLIT-A/2 Gb dual channel FSB 1333 MHz/Gainward NVidia 7300/2 x 80 Gb, 1 x 300 Gb, 1 x 200 Gb/DVCAM DRV-1000P drive/ Pan NV-DX1&-DX100/MSP8/WS2/PI11/C3D etc.
Devil

Return to MediaStudio Pro