NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Need a really good monitor

All about Image editing. Photography, Tips & Tricks, etc.....

Moderator: Ron P.

Need a really good monitor

Postby Barry Katcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:50 am

Hi, People.

Not really a PSP question, just want to hear some suggestions/recommendations for a really good 20-22 " flat-screen monitor. One that will show the photos I'm working on as clearly as possible. My operating system is Windows 7.

Thanks,

Barry
Barry Katcher

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: Need a really good monitor

Postby Ron P. » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:27 am

I don't have an answer for your monitor question, just advising that since it is not a request for help with PSP, I've moved it to the General Discussions>Imaging forum.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Postby teknisyan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Hello Barry,

As long as the screen can produce 1024 x 768 (24-bit color) screen resolution, you should be good. Since there is no really technical requirements in order for you to display a clear image on the screen. Just make sure that you have a very good graphics card and the image is an high resolution image.
Like reading blogs?
About Tech
About Sports
Pnoy.Me - A URL Shortener
Follow me on Facebook & Twitter
teknisyan

motherboard: Sony Corporation VAIO
processor: Intel Corel i5
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
sound_card: Realtek HD Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB

Postby Barry Katcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:07 am

Thanks for the reply, Abiel.

I was thinking of a good high definition monitor meant for video gaming, like the Dell
Alien. Twice as expensive as most other monitors, but may be worth it.

Barry
Barry Katcher

Postby Tim Morrison » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 am

The requirements for a good monitor for gaming tends to be a great response time, while for photo editing it is quality of colour reproduction... response time doesn't matter much at all.
For LCD monitors there are three major technologies used. The vast majority use "Twisted Nematic" (TN). This is also generally the lowest quality for photo reproduction. In most cases they only use 6 bits per pixel and use dithering to reproduce most colours. 6 bit screens will say they can show 16.2 million colours, although without dithering they can only manage 262 thousand. For good colour reproduction you really need an 8 bit per pixel monitor. These will be advertised as showing 16.7 million colours.
The other two main LCD technologies are In-plane Switching (IPS) and Vertical Alignment (MVA or PVA). These will be 8 bit per pixel or better and will also have a better wide angle of view without the darkening or colour shifts that are seen as you move further from directly in front on TN screens. They will also be more expensive.
So my recommendation is to use an IPS or MVA/PVA monitor. It's not always easy to tell as the LCD technology is often not stated in the monitors specifications. The two main giveaways are TN monitors will say that they show 16.2 million colours and have a viewing angle of 170 degrees. IPS and MVA/PVA screens will advertise 16.7 million colours and a 178 degree viewing angle.
I have a Hewlett Packard LP2275w... a 22 inch monitor that uses PVA and am very happy with it. I used to have a laptop with an IPS screen, which was excellent (until it was stolen from the front seat of my car while paying for fuel at a service station). I couldn't find an exact replacement. There are very, very few laptops with great screens available at the moment. (The iPhone 4 has an IPS screen).
Tim Morrison
C-Tech Volunteer
Tim Morrison

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Asus P4533
processor: 3.16 GHz
ram: 2GB
Video Card: Radeon HD4650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.6 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP LP2275W

Postby Barry Katcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:51 am

Thanks, Tim. You just saved me some money by not heading in the wrong direction with that gaming monitor. I printed your post and I'll take it down to Comp USA and stick it under the nose of one of their techie-slash-salespeople. I'll also check out the specs on the HP and Dell websites.

Someone also suggested a HD TV monitor as a possibility. What thinkest thou?

By the way, I was a great fan of the Doors in the day. Glad to hear you're still alive and kicking. :mrgreen:

Barry
Barry Katcher

Postby skier-hughes » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:08 pm

I assume you will be printing, so it is very important to properly calibrate your monitor, googling will provide lots of info like this
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/viewing.html
skier-hughes
Microsoft MVP

operating_system: Windows 8
motherboard: gigabyte
processor: Intel core 2 6420 2.13GHz
ram: 4GB
Video Card: NVidia GForce 8500GT
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 36GB 2TB

Postby Barry Katcher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Yup, Graham - I have some color calibration software, Monoco EZ Color, that I use to calibrate my scanner, printer and monitor. I don't know the first thing about the hows, whys and wherefores of color calibration - I just follow the instructions and it seems to be o.k.

In the past, i've gotten better results (the print being the same as the image on the monitor) from Photoshop than from PSP, but, with the new computer, it seems to be the other way around. Maybe because I'm waiting to get my new monitor before doing the calibration.

Barry
Barry Katcher

Postby somneim » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:43 pm

I have 22'' Philips and I am working with lots of photographs it easy to use and it is showing good performance. I used to calibrated it with hardware calibrator for monitors and I have to tell you, the result was magnificent. So no matter what monitor you choose make sure to be calibrated with proper equipment.
somneim

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
motherboard: GM880-7Dh2
processor: AMD x4 Phenom
ram: 8GB
Video Card: GTX460
sound_card: Creative
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips

Return to IMAGING