NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

MFD SE Lenovo Edition Limitations

Moderator: DVDDoug

MFD SE Lenovo Edition Limitations

Postby hunter405 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:56 pm

I have DVD MF7 SE, that came on my new Lenovo laptop. It only has 6 menu templates and in the customize menu page, the pull-down only shows “navigation buttons”. I am assuming that these limitations, possibly others, are because it came with the laptop and is not a full paid pro version? I so, how can I find out what additional functions I would get if I buy the “Pro” version? I looked at the comparison chart on the Corel web site and I didn’t see any differences between SE and Pro versions in these areas. Also, can I upgrade, or do I have to do a full-price purchase? I didn’t see SE listed as upgradable.
hunter405

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: LENOVO 23594DU Win8 Pro DPK TPG
processor: 2.50 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3210M
ram: 7890 MB
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 4000
sound_card: Intel Display Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ThinkPad Display 1366x768

Re: MFD SE Lenovo Edition Limitations

Postby BrianCee » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:15 pm

Hello,

The 'SE' versions are "Special Editions" produced by Corel for supply with various computers - The special editions have been cutdown from the full product, but from past experience it seems that not all SE versions have had the same items removed.

The comparison chart you have viewed on the Corel website does NOT show SE versions - it compares Standard and Pro versions - SE versions are NOT Standard versions. The difference between the Standard and Pro versions is that the Pro version can author and burn blu-ray DVD's

Because they are special editions and you received them free they do not qualify for a reduced price upgrade to the full version of MF7

you can download the free trial of MF7 from here :- http://www.corel.com/corel/product/inde ... &segid=896

I have never tried it but I see no reason why you could not "borrow" the templates from the trial and use them in your SE version.

My VideoStudio demo videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBrianCee
BrianCee

operating_system: Windows 10
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP
Corel programs: VS X4,X5,X6,X7,X8, X9, X10

Postby hunter405 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:36 am

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the very informative reply. I think I will give the trial version a try. I have no problem purchasing the Pro version, if it does what I need.

But, I now have another question. I created a trial DVD with SE and attempted to burn it to disk, but the application froze at 39%. I had to use task manager to close the application and when I re-opened it, it kept going back to the same freeze point. The DVD was also stuck in my burner. I was able to release it only by re-formating the disk.

Back to normal now, but I am bit nervous about another attempt. I was just making a straightforward DVD with a number of .wmv video clips (my SE version wouldn't seem to accept other video formats) and one of the 2 available smart screen menus. I am using a Lenovo T530, 2.5GB processor, 8GB memory, Win 7 64-bit. Any idea why burning a DD would cause the application to freeze?

Maybe one more try and then give the Pro trial version a try. I am fairly new with DVD production and MF does seem to have one of the more user friendly interfaces.

Thanks,

Roger
hunter405

Postby lata » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:11 am

Hi Roger

Do you own a copy of Video Studio, the menu templates used are the same type as far as I know. Video Studio would be a better buy than DVD MF.

Menu Templates
Some types, Smart Scenes are limited in to how much you can customise them, and may only give the Navigation Buttons, the layout not being available.

What you see using your version is what you will get with the pro, yes there may be more templates but the working will be the same.

When burning a DVD the files have to be Mpeg2, if you use WMV they will be converted prior to burning, and it is this process that may be giving the problem.

I would suggest downloading the trial version of Video Studio X6.

Convert the video files to Mpeg2, using those to burn the disc, and can be used in MF
The burner module used in Video Studio is practically identical to MF authoring.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby hunter405 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:14 am

Hi Trevor/Brian, thanks much for the advice.

I think I have enough info to work with, but wanted to say thanks for your help. What I am trying to do is burn few karaoke clips (mostly flv) to a standard DVD that will play in a Karaoke DVD player. No HD or anything special.

As recommended, I converted files to mpeg2 (DVD-NTSC), but MF didn’t like them. Error said they used dolby audio codec which was not supported. The converter I am using doesn’t give me an option to change the audio codec. I also converted to AVI (mpeg-4). They play when I double-click them, but MF says they are not accessible. Anyway, I will figure this out. I may try Video Studio, but for now, MF seems to like the wmv’s. It accepts the clips and the conversion process does not take too long, so for now, I’m fine with that.

However, the program tends to freeze building the menu’s. I switched from smart menu to a text menu and was able to burn a DVD. There are a couple of places where the video/audio freezes for a second or two. This happens on the preview as well as the burned DVD, so I am pretty sure it is not the burner. I am running Win 7 64-bit, 2.5GHZ processor with 8GB memory. Should be sufficient. I will try shutting off my AV and any other processes that might be running in background and see if that helps.

I will probably purchase MF 7 Pro. I downloaded the trial version, but it wants me to uninstall SE first (grrrr). Once I do this, I am committed. No way to reinstall SE without restoring my laptop to factory or making a HDD image first, neither of which are very attractive options. I looked at a lot of tools, and MF has one of the more friendly interfaces for a new user. SE is just too limited. Does Video Studio include DVD authoring capability? I looked at the manual and it looks like a pretty powerful video editor, more features than I really need, but I didn’t see much DVD authoring. Probably give it a try as well.

Don’t want to keep bugging you folks with questions, I need to take some time and try and figure a few things out myself as I indicated above. I just wanted to say thanks for the help provided. I am definitely moving toward a solution.

Roger
hunter405

Postby BrianCee » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:57 am

The disc burning module in VideoStudio is very similar to the one in MF - if you can drive MF you would have no problems in authoring a DVD in VideoStudio.

VideoStudio of course from it's name has much more powerful editing options and should have no problem in allowing you to import mpeg, avi, mp4 and a whole lot more formats as well.

The free trial of VS will not want to uninstall your copy of MF before starting the 30 day free trial.

It is our hobby to answer your questions - please ask as many as you wish.

BrianCee

Postby lata » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:18 am

As Brian says the authoring section of Video Studio is very similar to MF.

As recommended earlier download the trial version of Video Studio and give it a run.
Not that I am trying to sell the program.

As for the audio being Digital Dolby, the Convert Mpeg options should allow you to customise and change the audio type.
I cannot remember if access is the same as VS , but is there a Cogwheel icon lower left of the window, Project Settings. Should allow you to customise the properties
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Postby hunter405 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi Folks,

I installed the trial version of Video Studio Pro 6. It seems to run soother than the SE version. I still have to convert some flv files to wmv as VS doesn’t seem to like the mpeg2 or mpeg4 files I converted. It does like fresh MP4 files I downloaded. Maybe my converter. Anyway, no problem, I can work with this. I plan to purchase a license for video studio pro 6, but I have a couple more questions.

After browsing the user forum, I believe I should uninstall the trial version before I install the paid version? I want to be able to download additional menu packs. I do not see any additional packs in “Get more out of Corel Video Studio” in the trial version. I assume the packs will be there in the paid version?

The DVD I created does not seem to auto play in my computer drive and I couldn’t find any option for this? Am I missing something? When I insert other DVD’s in the drive, a window opens asking me if I want to play with “X” application.

Thanks again for all your help.

Roger
hunter405

Postby BrianCee » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:02 pm

if the SE version is Movie Factory and the trial you have installed is VideoStudio there should be no conflict at all between them - there is not even any conflicts between versions of VideoStudio I currently have four working versions on my computers.

VideoStudio should accept mpeg 2 videos without any problems maybe the conversion you carried out is not correct .

additional options are available in the Do More tab after you purchase.

In order to play in a standard DVD player the disc needs to be burnt with "Vob" (basically mpeg2) files in a "Video_TS" folder - VideoStudio should take care of all that during the authoring/converting/burning process which takes place - but without knowing what files you used and what settings you used I cannot say why your DVD does not self start - all mine do.

have a look at the contents of your DVD and see if you have a Video_TS folder with a number of VOB and other files in it.
BrianCee

Postby lata » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:25 pm

And just to add,---When you purchase the full version of Video Studio you should receive serial numbers/activation codes and a link to download the program.
If you purchase the Ultimate version you will also get links for downloading the extra software. Keep them safe and back them up.

I would un-install the trial version and install the purchased version, just in case there is a difference from the trial.

Good luck
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Postby hunter405 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:37 am

Wow, nothing easy. I purchased VS X6 Pro, completely removed the trial version with Revo uninstaller and installed the full version. All the menu packs were in the “Do More” section. I downloaded menu pack and tried to install, but got error that the installed version of the application could not be verified and the set-up terminated. I closed and reopened VS and “Do More”, but neither menu pack or menu pack 2 were available.

I saw the other thread on this problem. In my case, I closed VS, disabled my firewall, reopened VS and went to “Do More”. All the packs were there, downloaded and installed with no problem. The key for me was when the install program could not verify the version. Also, right after I registered, "Do More" was complete, but when I closed and reopened VS, the list was not, like Corel could not verify I was using a registered copy? Might think the error would tell us to disable the firewall. Many programs do.

I'm good to go, but still a lot to learn. You guys are a big help on many threads here. Thanks again,

Roger
hunter405

Postby BrianCee » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:43 pm

glad to hear you are ready to go now - we are ready for your questions :D
BrianCee

Postby lata » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi Roger

Personally I think Corel have a problem with the Do More download server but only for the first few days.

Hard to explain and even more difficult to prove.

I think the Do-More url address is pointing to Version X5, at least for the initial installation. The total number of o-More downloads available being 75ish.

After registration and a few re-launches of X6 the Do-More seems to refresh using the X6 url address.

Initially the Menu Packs are downloaded as X5 versions.
Once the server has had chance to sort itself out the Do-More has 115 downloads with the Menu Packs being for the correct version X6.

And we will get a similar complaint the next time someone purchases, installs and immediately downloads the packs.

Using Windows 7 all downloads are saved here for all Corel programs:-
C:\ProgramData\Corel\Downloads

I would guess you have both X5 and X6 versions of DoMore_Menu_02.exe and 01.exe, hence the error when trying to install X5 pack.
The download folder also contains a Html document that shows the download address.

Don’t worry, everything seems to work with the do-more section.

Oh by the way the Menu Packs install disc menu templates to the Gallery, one for Bluray/Avchd, the other for DVD menu templates
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin