NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Can't cut video when it's part of a split screen

Can't cut video when it's part of a split screen

Postby michaelveloz » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:16 am

So I have a video I want to insert into an area on a split screen.
I drop the video on the corresponding track in the timeline (with Ctrl key) and then play it back. I notice I have a smirk on the very end that I'd like to cut off. So I position the scrubber, hit the scissors.. and .. nothing.

Apparently you can't cut in a video in this state.

Okay, fine. So then I think: I need to cut it before I drop it on the split timeline. But how would I do that? I tried putting it on a different track by itself so that I could cut off the end.. but then how to get this cut video into the split timeline? Drag and drop didn't work.

I suppose I could edit the video outside of VS so that I don't have to do so inside VS, but isn't editing videos part of why we're using VS?? Smirk.

Any ideas would be appreciated
michaelveloz

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: Can't cut video when it's part of a split screen

Postby lata » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:45 am

We add clips to the split screen from the library
Add your trimmed clip to the library
From the Split ScreenTemplates Editor, drag that clip into position
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby BJC » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Are you new to Videostudio michaelveloz ... I ask that because there seems to be a couple of steps missing from your trimming process .. first one is select the clip in the timeline that you want to trim , which will be indicated by yellow lines all around the clip .. if none are selected then none will be cut. Second step which seems to be missing is that after you have clicked on the scissors icon (and nothing appears to happen) then you must select the bit you do not want and hit the 'delete' key on your keyboard .. just because you cut the clip Videostudio doesn't know which bit you don't want so waits for you to tell it and then manually delete

are you using one of the split screen templates from the instant projects library ? if so be aware that if you only trim one clip that part of the split screen will just go black at the end until the whole sequence finishes

best to set the black clips in the timeline to the duration you want first .. then trim all clips to the same length before dragging and dropping (with ctrl key) onto the holder in the timeline
BJC

ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB

Postby michaelveloz » Sun May 05, 2019 7:58 pm

lata wrote:We add clips to the split screen from the library
Add your trimmed clip to the library
From the Split ScreenTemplates Editor, drag that clip into position

Regarding "add your trimmed clip to the library"...How? do you mean, first save a trimmed clip back to a file and then drag that file into the library?

I can do that, but that's extra steps to save the file and pull it back in to the library.

What I was hoping for was this: let's say you have a video on the timeline and you decide the split off part, so you cut and delete the part you don't want, leaving you with part of it on the timeline. Now, I want to get that part into a split screen. That part is not in the library at this point (only the original full video that I started with is). The split screen editor only seems to take images from the library as input -- so how do I get this shortened video from the timeline into the split screen editor (without having to save it first to disk and then pulling it back in to the library?)

Michael
michaelveloz

Postby michaelveloz » Sun May 05, 2019 8:01 pm

BJC wrote:Are you new to Videostudio michaelveloz ... I ask that because there seems to be a couple of steps missing from your trimming process .. first one is select the clip in the timeline that you want to trim , which will be indicated by yellow lines all around the clip .. if none are selected then none will be cut. Second step which seems to be missing is that after you have clicked on the scissors icon (and nothing appears to happen) then you must select the bit you do not want and hit the 'delete' key on your keyboard .. just because you cut the clip Videostudio doesn't know which bit you don't want so waits for you to tell it and then manually delete

are you using one of the split screen templates from the instant projects library ? if so be aware that if you only trim one clip that part of the split screen will just go black at the end until the whole sequence finishes

best to set the black clips in the timeline to the duration you want first .. then trim all clips to the same length before dragging and dropping (with ctrl key) onto the holder in the timeline

Thanks, I do know how to split videos as you described... by question was: once you've split them (and discarded the part you don't want) how to get the remaining part, which is not sitting on the timeline, into the split screen editor, which only seems to want to work with images that are in the library (and my shorted video is not in the library at this point; it's only sitting on the timeline. I could save it back to a different file and then drag that into the library so that I could then select it from the Split Screen editor, but that seems like extra steps.
michaelveloz

Postby BJC » Sun May 05, 2019 9:09 pm

and if the extra steps get you the result you want whats the problem ??
BJC

Postby michaelveloz » Sun May 05, 2019 10:20 pm

BJC wrote:and if the extra steps get you the result you want whats the problem ??

Confused by your reply. I'm a busy guy. A few steps saved many times in a video, and then across many videos, can make a big difference.

Do you know if it's possible to somehow get a trimmed video from the timeline into the Split Screen editor, without first saving it to file (and then pulling it back into the library)?
michaelveloz

Postby BJC » Mon May 06, 2019 8:30 am

Why are you trying to cut then if time is so important to you ... if you want to remove the end of a piece of video just click on it .. hover your mouse cursor over the right hand vertical yellow bar .. it will change to a two headed arrow .. click and slide left

when you want a clip in a library you do not have to make a point of specifically saving a file to do that .. if you trim a clip somewhere else in the timeline then all you need to do is left click on it and hold while you slide it up into the media library where a new thumbnail for the shortened clip will be added .. you could now just drag that thumbnail back down into the split screen section ... BUT . you may now get an error message that the clip is to short .. unless you shorten the black place holder in the split screen template using the slide method as indicated above ... BUT when you play through the sequence the split screen segment will go black when when it passes the end of the trimmed clip .. unless you also shorten all the other clips in the split screen template

for a good presentation it is important that all clips you put in the split screen template are the same length .. and the same length as the black placeholders in split screen template .. change them first to the length of your clips using the select and slide method of changing the length then add the actual clips holding the ctrl key as you do
BJC

Return to VideoStudio