NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Videostudio 2018 VS 2019. How is hardware acceleration?

Re: Videostudio 2018 VS 2019. How is hardware acceleration?

Postby Radim » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:55 pm

Rhopman1986 wrote:Apparently nobody knows the exact answer on the question how hardware acceleration works exactly in Corel Video Studio regarding CPU cores, so I guess I had just find it out by myself again.

I bought Corel VideoStudio 2019 Ultimate, and perhaps its just me, but I am surprised how smoother it actually feels in comparison with 2018 ultimate.
The playback while editing seems smoother, (I didnt use smart Proxy in both versions) the menus are more responsive to me, and the rendering is a lot faster since I now have to the option to use Intel Quick Sync or Nvidia CUDA when exporting files. It could be me, but I did not saw these options in 2018 ultimate, so I am a bit confused why nobody seems to notice this?

The only bad thing is that Videostudio crashes when using the Nvidia acceleration, but with Quick sync its doing a great job. So yeah, for me editing and rendering is a lot faster now since 2018 ultimate.

<edit>
Oh and of course I used my same system in Corel Ultimate 2018 and 2019.
i7 9700k
16GB DDR4 3200mhz RAM
Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB

It is really shame that we as users who supports Corel for years can't get such basic information... :? :? :?:

In PDF manual http://help.corel.com/videostudio/en/user-guide/videostudio-2019.pdf we get simple answer on page number 12. As follow:

Radim

operating_system: Windows 8
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby mrbios » Thu May 09, 2019 9:44 am

iNate wrote:
1jhill wrote:
This is about the best break down for resolve from a power user/pc builder [b]but complete ignorant on video editing suites as I’ve seen[/b
For some users, VideoStudio is a first step. For others, it's their destination. You get to choose what it will be for yourself. I'm not interested in dictating your software use :-P

Inate, that was some very impressive NLE philosophy! I've been using VS since 2005? And I never got that deep into it. Recently, I started using Mercalli and a few other configurable plugins. Wow the plugins are a weird bunch and I will need to watch tutorials on how to use them instead of guessing and trial and mostly error.

I upgraded my video card from built in core i3 to an nvidia GeForce 710 1GB RAM. I noticed VS X9 will not take advantage of it unless I uncheck / check "Enable Hardware Acceleration" every time I run the program. My main pc is 9 yrs old but has 16GB of RAM would getting a used core i7 do the trick? High def files esp the giant ones that the generic GoPro AKA50 V50 Elite Action Cam generates are very slow to work with and can generate 10 -15/mb second in 4K!

Anyone else have thoughts in this area?

Thanks
mrbios

operating_system: Windows 8.1
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Postby iNate » Thu May 09, 2019 5:05 pm

An i7 will be way faster. Likely more cores, definitely faster cores. Possibly you'll have HT (depends on generation/SKU). You're going to have a faster QSV (if your current PC even has it). I'd also upgrade to at least something like a GTX1050. Faster NVENC, and a much faster GPU than what you're currently using. The new 1660s are faster, so probably better off going straight to that, honestly (unless buying a laptop and the price differential makes it not worth it for what you want/need to do on it vs. your budget).

9 years on the same PC, you're due for a full system upgrade, at this point. You're also going to get faster RAM, etc. Everything will be faster.

Editing 4K on that old i3 is going to be... challenging, on your current machine. You need to use Proxies, there :-)

Even on stronger machines, it's often not worth wasting power editing original 4K files, because you still have to do other stuff to the media when you edit - Color Correction, Stabilization, Transitions, Effects (possibly), Overlaying (PiP), Titles, etc.

That all requires processing power, and sometimes you need to play back multiple streams at once.

If you're just getting by editing 1 stream on the PC, then you have no headroom for the other stuff you're going to need to finish the project, so it's better to just conserve power while editing and use Proxies, instead of editing H.264/HEVC directly at UHD/4K Resolutions.

Just toggle the proxies off when doing Finishing (Color Correction and any type of VFX-type work, for example) and for rendering (usually automatically done by the editing software).
iNate

operating_system: Windows 10
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUS GL503VD
processor: Intel i7-7700HQ
ram: 32GB
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 10xx
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 250+512GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS 15.6" + HP 24" 1080p IPS Displays
Corel programs: PSPX9, VSX9 Pro, VS2018 (Refund), WPOX7