NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Choppy playback even w/ proxy

Choppy playback even w/ proxy

Postby 1jhill » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:48 am

Ok so I just got videostudio 2018 ultimate to use for my GoPro hero 7 black. Issue is I’m shooting in 4K 30 FPS and then even after using smart proxy and confirming it is done making the file it still plays back extremely choppy and can’t scrub. Odd thing is some older 1920x1080 play just fine so what gives shouldn’t it be using the proxy and not the 4K file? Makes no sense. I have my proxy file set to default 720x480 and I’m using an intel i7 4790k oc to 4.6ghz with 16gb ram (oc to 1866) and an AMD r9 390 8gb v ram. There is no way my system should be stuttering with 720x480. All hardware acceleration is checked on. None of this makes sense. Also I can not get any real confirmation that Corel allows AMD GPU acceleration (would be OpenCL).. one of the reasons I am going with Corel is davinci won’t even open saying it can’t find my gfx card (works on my laptop with s**** igpu but won’t work on my dedicated gpu so I gave up, also davinci is too confusing for me). I tried powerdirector as well and it was fast but I wanted newblue colorfast and didn’t see powerdirector supporting it. Hopefully I didn’t just waste money on software that only favors Nvidia because I am not planning on switching brands (only to Navi once it’s out).

Also this is a clean install of win10 1809 so no remains of garbage left anywhere.
1jhill

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Asus maximus hero vii
processor: I7 4790k 4.6ghz OC
Video Card: AMD R9 390
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1tb
Corel programs: Video studio 2018

Re: Choppy playback even w/ proxy

Postby Davidk » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:00 am

Try turning the hardware acceleration off. Your hardware should 'eat it', as you say, and HW accel has been fingered in a number of issues.
Davidk

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3.7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Viewsonic Vx1935wm
Corel programs: Video Studio X5,X6,X7,X8,X9,X10,2018

Postby 1jhill » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:45 am

Ok I’ll give that a shot tonight. I’m also curious does the program update its configuration automatically on startup (not sure if wording that right) every time or does it remember an old setup? I ask because davinci ressolve originally worked on my system until I did a driver update for my GPU and then it started pulling the no gfx card found. Even uninstalled and re installed both the software and driver then reverted to old driver but it would just never work again, part of why I just did an entire wipe and reinstall and went with corel and figured I’ll avoid free niche software. Well I also just did a driver update so now thinking is this something going on here where video editing software needs to do a manual re setup after a driver update or something? I already unchecked hardware acceleration and rechecked figuring that would force it to reconfigure but it didn’t fix it, I’ll try again with no acceleration when I get home tonight. I can’t imagine them not wanting you to ever update your drivers after installing but that’s when I started having issues with ressolve and finally just said to hell with it.

I also can’t figure out why it smooths out when I change the project settings from 4K to 1920x1080, isn’t the point of the proxy so it isn’t using the project settings or am I missing something here. I stuck with 4K because of the prompt to keep it as source so it can use smart render, I figured might as well since it sounded better than not using smart render.
1jhill

Postby tletter » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:36 am

1jhill wrote:Issue is I’m shooting in 4K 30 FPS and then even after using smart proxy and confirming it is done making the file it still plays back extremely choppy and can’t scrub.

I routinely edit 4K videos in a VSP spanning an hour and experience the behaviour of VS that you mention even with SmartProxy files on a local drive vice NAS. The simple fact is that VS doesn't fully leverage the available CPU and GPU resources.

1jhill wrote:Also I can not get any real confirmation that Corel allows AMD GPU acceleration (would be OpenCL).

I've never seen VS use the GPU (currently an NVDIA GeForce GTX 1070), rather it appears only to use the CPU. Most reviews of NLE report that VS is well behind the pack when it comes to speed of rendering.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
tletter

processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018

Postby 1jhill » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:29 am

OK so I think I figured it out yet not sure why. so I had the newbluefx colorfast on the video to correct the coloring. once I removed the filter then it plays just fine. I am not 100% sure about this but I don't believe this happened before so question is does the filter plugin not render to the proxy and that's why it gets all screwed up or does newbluefx not use hardware acceleration or somehow needs to be enabled? Ive seen demos of the filter on youtube with less powerful systems so somehow it has to work but no way will it work like this, great feature packed filter but not usable if your preview is skipping scenes and jumpy as all hell.
1jhill

Postby tletter » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:32 pm

1jhill wrote:once I removed the filter then it plays just fine.

Earlier you were complaining about the lack of "GPU acceleration". Hence as all is fine for you, is GPU acceleration now working for you?

tletter
tletter

Postby 1jhill » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:52 am

tletter wrote:
1jhill wrote:once I removed the filter then it plays just fine.

Earlier you were complaining about the lack of "GPU acceleration". Hence as all is fine for you, is GPU acceleration now working for you?

tletter

I’m not sure if it is or isn’t and all isn’t fine. All is fine if I remove the colorfast, with colorfast on it becomes choppy which defeats the whole entire point of having a color filter even with a proxy. I can’t imagine if my system which is above most others can’t use it then how is the avg pc supposed to use it? I still have no way to tell if my GPU or even cpu is actually be8ng utilized during editing.
1jhill

Postby tletter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:05 am

1jhill wrote:I still have no way to tell if my GPU or even cpu is actually be8ng utilized during editing.

Have you looked at Task Mgr?
tmgr_sm.jpg

tletter
tletter