NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Crash after DV import/capture - files corrupted

Crash after DV import/capture - files corrupted

Postby kdy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Tried to search, but couldn't locate any relevant posts. I experience systematically a crash of VS after import of an AVI file via FireWire from a Canon miniDV. I get no error messages; the VS application is simply terminated. Windows is still running, and VS can be restarted without a re-boot.
Tried to contact Support, but that seems to be a waste of time. They proposed the following:
Enable both the "Hardware Decoder acceleration" in the "Editing Process" and the "Hardware Encoder acceleration" in the "File Creation".
• Enabling the Hardware Decoder acceleration improves the clips being used in the project and enhances the editing process.
• Enabling the Hardware Encoder acceleration improves the rendering process of the video project.

I point out an issue that occurs during capture. I haven's even started putting anything on the time-line, let alone been doing any form of rendering. Yet, they propose two measures that aqccording to Support's own statement has to do with editing and rendering. Frankly, not very convincing. And btw, the proposed configuration changes do not change the behaviour: VS still crashes after a DV import/capture.

Moreover, while the files captured before the crash is sometimes playable, they are often not usable neither in VS nor in separate video players. VLC reports that "the index is broken or missing".
VS says "file format mismatch" when trying to add the captured files to a folder (import media file) and the error box includes this: [1081:1:3]

It seems there are a lot of knowledgeable in here, so now I hope someone may have a good idea...

VideoStudio is version 21.4.0.165 (64bit Ultimate), FireWire card is "VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller", Windows 10 is version 1803 build 17134.407, Computer with Intel i7 and 16 GB RAM
kdy

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero
processor: Intel i7
ram: 16GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 2 x 24" FullHD
Corel programs: VideoStudio Ultimate 2018

Re: Crash after DV import/capture - files corrupted

Postby Ken Berry » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Coincidentally, I happen to be an old DV/AVI junkie, though my old standard definition Canon mini DV camcorder hasn't seen any action in probably about 8 years. However, I continue to use the high definition equivalent -- HDV -- via an old Canon HV20 camcorder, and that too captures via firewire. There have, however, been some changes in the way Windows 7, 8 and 10 handle firewire. While Video Studio still covers both DV and HDV, I am not sure that Corel have adjusted the way recent versions of Video Studio capture those formats.

My major recommendation would be to forget using VS to do the importing of your DV. Instead, I would download and install a small freeware program called WinDV from http://windv.mourek.cz/ It does what VS should be doing in capturing DV/AVI, and adds the advantage of being able to name to captured files, rather than using Corel's rather arcane naming formula. Once the DV is captured, you simply open it in DV for editing and output.

Should you have a HDV camcorder, the equivalent program is called HDVSplit -- also freeware.

If for some reason WinDV gives you similar problems to VS, then you will need to roll your Firewire driver in Windows back to a legacy driver. Go to Device Manager, and click on the IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers > 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller. Then click on the Driver tab and the Update Driver button. In the new window, choose "Browse my computer for driver software" and then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers". This should open a menu of drivers, one of which should include the word "Legacy". Select that one and choose the Next button, which installs the legacy driver. You should then be able to use Video Studio to capture DV via Firewire without any more problems.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby kdy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks a lot for elaborate answer! I will definitely try out your suggestions.

Since yesterday I tried to import from the DV using ScenalyzerLive under Win10. It works in the sense that the imported files are immediately playable by VLC - no hickups. In VS I can then import the files to a media folder, but when adding one of the new media clips to the timeline, VS crashes.

Just to be sure, I found some AVI files that were imported to a HD with VS some years back (probably under WinXP). These AVI files I can import to my current VS media folder and add to timeline without crashes.

Again, thanks. I'll keep you posted.
Kim
kdy

Postby Ken Berry » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:05 am

I have never used SceneanalyserLive. Does it capture in real time and in the DV/AVI format as opposed to mpeg-2? WinDV certainly captures both in real time and in DV/AVI format. That format gives the best quality video and is easy to edit and convert to DVD-compatible mpeg-2 if that is what you are aiming to do.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby RobertOZ » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:35 am

Ken, I have had Scenalyzer LIVE since 2006 and it was the best MiniDV capture program available, but was discontinued in 2010 because it became too complicated to handle the various HD formats with a program that was completely built around the DV format.
Have to admit, I am surprised that it works with Win10, I do have it on the Win7 desktop, for those occasions when I rework some of the old tapes
The program is still available, but of course is now supplied free
Dell Inspiron 7567,Win 10, Intel Kaby-Lake i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5,dual drives, 256GB SSD + 1 TB internal HDD + 5TB portable HDD Samsung 28" 3840x2160 UHD 4K LED Monitor
RobertOZ
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A86 1.04E01
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930
Video Card: Radeon HD 5770
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 32" IPS LED (Main) HP 23fi IPS LED
Corel programs: VSX4-X10 VS 2018 & MS 3D

Postby kdy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:40 pm

I am back in business and are again editing videos with VS Ultimate!

Yep, Scenanalyzer captures DV/AVI realtime, and it works flawlessly under Win10. Seems to have more options than WinDV for importing and more features for other file manipulating and indexing. The most important piece in the puzzle, however, was the tip from Ken Berry about using a legacy driver for my Firewire IEEE 1394 card. Thanks a lot Ken!

For the benefit of others, who may end up here in search for a solution: The legacy driver wasn't readily available under my Win10 installation. I found it on Microsoft's site at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2970191. The 8.0/8.1 driver found there works under 10 as well (see e.g. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/windows-10-and-ieee-1394-firewire-legacy-drivers/27ae7f1b-c307-4159-802e-61a123d0de87)

After installation of the inf, the drivers were located in c:\Program Files (x86)\1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)\ so using Ken's guide as basis and selecting the appropriate version (x86/x64) with the 'have disk' option, I now have the legacy driver installed for my 1394 card, and the imported files work with VideoStudio.
kdy

Return to VideoStudio