NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Can't get narration to work

Can't get narration to work

Postby Fishn3 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi, first time member. I'm using Corel Video Studio Pro X8, maybe more dated than what others use, I don't know. It seems to work just fine except for doing any narration. I've got a headset with microphone that plugs into a jack on the front of my computer (Dell Inspiron 660). I go to Record/Capture and then Voice over. A little screen pops up for me to test the recording level (Window Audio Mixer) but the screen is dead and doesn't respond at all. I'm thinking I may be forced to use the recording deck I use for my music projects to make some MP3 files to import, but I shouldn't have to do this. Would anyone have any suggestions? Would a USB headset make any difference? Puzzled on this as everything else works fine and I've made some good videos otherwise :|
Fishn3

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: N/A
Corel programs: corel video pro studio x8

Re: Can't get narration to work

Postby weaver » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Is your headset working with other programs like skype etc? Probably you need to configure the system correctly.
weaver

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 16GB
sound_card: C.Media
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 20TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: FULL HD
Corel programs: VS S6,8,10 on W XP, VS X4,6,7

Postby Ken Berry » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Check in Windows' Control Panel > Sound > Recording to see what is set as the default device. Your headset should be listed when plugged in, and you should have that as the default when you are trying to do narrate.

Another option, which is the one I use, is to ignore the narration/voiceover function in VS. Instead, I write my script as a series of entries. Then I use the freeware Audacity audio editor to record -- and where necessary touch up -- my voiceovers. I export these as .wav files, though you can also use mp3. Then I insert them in their appropriate places in the video, adjusting any other background audio levels (e.g. the original audio on the video, plus background music) as necessary to give primacy to my voiceovers. IMHO this sounds more professional in the final video, and of course avoids any fumbles you might make in a "live" narration.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby Fishn3 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:07 am

Good advice, I'll try all the options above. Sounds like Audacity might be the way to go :)
Fishn3

System_Drive: N/A
Corel programs: corel video pro studio x8

Return to VideoStudio