NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

GoPro Hero 5/6/7 Lens Correction

GoPro Hero 5/6/7 Lens Correction

Postby Bleeder » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:35 am

I've had what I consider ok success correcting the Fisheye Lens effect on my own regarding my GoPro Hero 6 footage using the Lens Correction feature in NewBlue's Video Essential II under the heading of Fx, but we users really should have an update to the NATIVE Lens correction feature for Corel VideoStudio Ultimate 2018. It falls very short by only having distortion correction up through GoPro Hero 4, and that was YEARS ago! Most of us that use GoPro cameras would surely appreciate an update if there could be one!

Playing with some new footage from my Hero 6, I "think" I've got it dialed in for my Hero 6 lens distortion regarding Focal lengths (X/Y), Optical Lengths (X/Y), plus Radial Distortion Coefficients (K1-K3). I set Tangential Distortion to zero for both P1 and P2. I won't post it here just yet, because I sure would like to see what the Corel Pro's would use to correct the lens distortion from the latest GoPro's Hero 5 through Hero 7!! Sure wish the software engineers would provide an update if they're able. {**Hint - Hint**} :D

In the interim, for anyone interested if they're using the GoPro Hero 6 or Hero 7 ---> Under Fx, you'll find NewBlue Video Essential II.
1. Click ON your footage in the timeline you want corrected and choose Lens Correction
2. Drag that icon down to your GoPro footage you want corrected in the timeline, and let go. The vid will look horribly distorted, but it's easily fixed!
3. Under "EFFECT," keep the Lens Correction highlighted and choose "Customize Filter." (Effect, Lens Correction and Customise Filter is likely in the upper right of your screen.)
4. When the Customize Box comes up, IMMEDIATELY click OFF "USE KEYFRAMES." (unless you want...but, really?). Again, click Keyframes OFF.
5. Look at the bottom for choices in the pop-up Customize Box and choose "Reset to None." ---> (You "could" skip this step, but I like to start my video correction from the native fisheye lens distortion from the GoPro Lens.)

6. You'll change only the Distortion and Zoom, keeping a 0 Focal Center -- Try using a ANTI - Distortion factor of between NEGATIVE 14 through 20---> In other words, try {-14} first in the distortion box to see if you like it. Adjust by 0.5 until @ -19.5 to -20 mark. (This is where inverse distortion seems to begin to occur for the GoPro footage.) About 80% of the time, I use between -14 and -18.5 for distortion, depending on the GoPro angle I'm at. Zoom is set to @ 4-15%, depending on mood. I usually set Zoom to 6-ish.

Again, no huge complaints, but help (meaning, a simple "Click and Go" with true lens correction for Gopro users using the latest cameras) would be appreciated in an update sometime. Just on my wish list, is all!! I'm really enjoying 99% of the features packed in this VideoStudio Ultimate 2018 program!

If there are any suggestions on how to even better correct GoPro video distortion in the latest GoPro Cameras using Corel VideoStudio beyond my own experimentation above, I would love to learn what works best for you.
Bleeder

operating_system: Windows XP Home
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4gb

Re: GoPro Hero 5/6/7 Lens Correction

Postby 1jhill » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:50 am

I too was really disappointed in that. Powerdirector has a much more extensive list of lens correction (up to hero 6 with most or all res/super views). I chose Corel over powerdirector even though powerdirector rendered faster and has more lens options but Corel has newbluefx colorfast and powerdirector only had a more basic on from what I could find. Some of more GoPro dusk riding came out too dark and need colorfast to raise the shadows otherwise it would have been more tempting to go the other way.

So hopefully Corel sees their lacking in the action cam department and need more options then they would be the clear choice.
1jhill

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Asus maximus hero vii
processor: I7 4790k 4.6ghz OC
Video Card: AMD R9 390
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1tb
Corel programs: Video studio 2018

Postby Bleeder » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:33 am

1jhill wrote:I too was really disappointed in that. Powerdirector has a much more extensive list of lens correction (up to hero 6 with most or all res/super views). I chose Corel over powerdirector even though powerdirector rendered faster and has more lens options but Corel has newbluefx colorfast and powerdirector only had a more basic on from what I could find. Some of more GoPro dusk riding came out too dark and need colorfast to raise the shadows otherwise it would have been more tempting to go the other way.

So hopefully Corel sees their lacking in the action cam department and need more options then they would be the clear choice.

Can't argue with that...I do wish for an easier solution regarding Fisheye Lens Distortion options from the Video Guru's that work on VideoStudio. I personally only use the "Wide" view from my GoPro Hero 6, but for others, especially if one is a mountain biker or motorcyclist filming their rides in "Superview," it sure would be nice for a simple "Click and Go" option. Workflow would be so much faster and easier...But, alas, it doesn't look like their will be an update anytime soon. If the forum managers don't mind, I may post a simple update regarding the directions for correcting the fisheye distortion for the GoPro Hero 5 through 7 in wide view...I may work on a fix for Superview and 1440 aspect ratios soon when I get a chance. I just got back from a long work trip working 31 days straight. Gonna take some RnR before getting back to video like I like...Cheers!
Bleeder

operating_system: Windows XP Home
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4gb

Postby Corel user » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:51 am

Somewhat off target but, wondershare Filmora, a free software, has an action cam program that is organized for Gopro . It allows you to denoise, distortion correct,EIS, and choose resolution/wide/medium/FOV , up to Hero 5! I use it to render my Yi 4k+'s 4k/60 video to 30 frames so I can import into my Corel ultimate x8 VSP. Try this software for a "click and go" solution.
Mike
Corel user

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: Asus M5A78L-USB3
processor: AMD FX 8350 4.0 GHZ 4.2 GHZ Turbo 8core
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: NVidia Geforce GT 750
sound_card: Audio Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS V248EH