NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Wishlist for VS 2019

Re: Wishlist for VS 2019

Postby Scubbie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:00 pm

It is a difficult one iNate.

Personally, I use a combination of different devices for my own recordings and also take on a variety of recordings from club members which can be recorded on a wider range of devices.

Due to my GoPro Hero 4 flooding recently, I now have a GoPro Hero 5. That and the 6 & 7 also have GPS tracking. I'd love VS to be able to utilise that information. In fairness, the GPS feature doesn't work underwater, but there is a camera which does provide depth information with the video. That would be really useful to show as a profile within VS.

I do agree with your point about there being different groups of users. Those who want a quality video and those who are just happy to show off whatever they've captured.

One of the things which I love about VS is that range of cameras that it already supports. I am seeing more people delve into the 360° market and sadly the 3D market appears to be dying in the amateur side. It's already died on the TV broadcast side and I can only watch 3D films at the cinema or if I download them. VS supports all of this and more.

We could argue for an option to not include the modules we don't need when we install VS. This would reduce the space taken on our hard drives a little.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use the combination of cameras I have which includes a Camcorder, coupe of 4/3rd cameras, GoPro and mobile. Each has their advantage in different situations.

p.s. there isn't an underwater housing for my camcorder. I've looked ;)
Scubbie

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Asus N76VJ
processor: Intel i7
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce GT 635M
sound_card: Realtek HD Audio [built in]
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3TB +Ext.
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus & Hanns G HX281
Corel programs: VideoStudio Ult., PaintShop Pro Ult.

Postby Candive » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:25 am

I'm not sure what iNate is disagreeing with?
More people are using different form factors to capture video besides the camcorder; be it phones, action cams, drones, and/or digital photo camera's that can record video (ie Panasonic GH5). To take iNates argument, many videographers are actually moving away for the camcorder precisely for improved quality and depth of field with increased sensor size now being offered such as micro 4/3rds as mentioned by Scubbie. While I do own a 4k camcorder, I now tend to record more with my action camera because of its small size and toughness. I don't worry about it if I go to the beach or on a hike. As for weddings, I don't think I did one since 1992. Most couples now hire pros for the job. I do use my camcorder for family events around the home such as birthdays and Christmas and thinking about it, I have videotaped a funeral a couple years ago with my camcorder because of its ability to zoom which allows one to stand discretely further back. So each device has a use.

But getting back to my original post, it would be nice for VS to offer the ability to import telemetry data to be superimposed on the video. Its main competitor, Power Director just released a new version (17) this September with not much on offer versus its pervious version. Here is a chance for Corel to differentiate its product when it releases its new version in the new year. :)

As a side note, I noticed that Power Director is moving towards a subscription based offering. And Vegas recently sent me an email offering a similar plan. So this seems to be a trend. Personally I am not keen on the idea.
Candive

Corel programs: VS x10 PSP2018

Postby judas_64 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:54 am

Able to actually read MXF files. (ultimate advertises that it does, but in fact does not) Been harassing tech support over this. Better audio support and conversion after rendering. Too much added noise to the original wav file....
judas_64

processor: Intel I7
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: acer
Corel programs: VideoStudio Ultimate 2018

Postby iNate » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:01 am

Candive wrote:I'm not sure what iNate is disagreeing with?
More people are using different form factors to capture video besides the camcorder; be it phones, action cams, drones, and/or digital photo camera's that can record video (ie Panasonic GH5). To take iNates argument, many videographers are actually moving away for the camcorder precisely for improved quality and depth of field with increased sensor size now being offered such as micro 4/3rds as mentioned by Scubbie. While I do own a 4k camcorder, I now tend to record more with my action camera because of its small size and toughness. I don't worry about it if I go to the beach or on a hike. As for weddings, I don't think I did one since 1992. Most couples now hire pros for the job. I do use my camcorder for family events around the home such as birthdays and Christmas and thinking about it, I have videotaped a funeral a couple years ago with my camcorder because of its ability to zoom which allows one to stand discretely further back. So each device has a use.

But getting back to my original post, it would be nice for VS to offer the ability to import telemetry data to be superimposed on the video. Its main competitor, Power Director just released a new version (17) this September with not much on offer versus its pervious version. Here is a chance for Corel to differentiate its product when it releases its new version in the new year. :)

As a side note, I noticed that Power Director is moving towards a subscription based offering. And Vegas recently sent me an email offering a similar plan. So this seems to be a trend. Personally I am not keen on the idea.

Bolded text in a quoted post is usually a clue that makes this blatantly obvious, especially when the reply starts with "I don't agree with this," or words to that effect. Reference the bolded.

Also, I think I already covered the action cams in my post above.

Did you read it, at all?

Different types of cameras, lenses, etc. are suitable for difference purposes.

The tiny sensors in a smartphoneo simply cannot compete with what you get out of a mid-range camcorder, P$S, or any SLR/Video Camcorder within the same pricing niche of a flagship smartphone.

Also, the overall smartphone market being dominated by mid-range and low end devices, with comparatively worse cameras than the expensive flagships; coupled with the fact that camera-oriented smartphone form factors (like the Nokia N8, Galaxy Camera, and Lumia 1020) failing in the market is a big hint that although the tech press may focus on smartphone camera performance a LOT (because there is not really much innovation elsewhere), that is ultimately not a huge deciding factor to the majority of consumers. As long as the pictures and video are serviceable for social media or quick sharing, they are fine with it.

Where quality matters is when you're editing video to produce things like Vlogs, Wedding and Event Videos, Documentaries, etc. In those situations, smartphones are clearly worse than camcorders, which is why I don't agree with the statement. Vlogging isn't just for "hardcore enthusiasts." YouTube is a clear indicator of that. Most Vloggers do not use smartphones to record. They use, at the very least, a Point and Shoot Camera. As they get better, they upgrade from there.

Smartphone video actually doesn't hold up well in editing. The video is low quality, compressed. Stabilization with software often means the picture is cropped and then stretched to fill the frame; softening the image and worsening quality even more. Noise levels are higher. They tend to have worse white balance, exposure compensation, and inaccurate colors due to software processing. The minute you try to start doing things like Color Correction, VFX, etc. the image begins to break down. There is not much you can do with it. This is why people who do a lot of video move off of smartphones. 50-100 Mbps bitrate H.264 is going to handle editing much better than the 20 Mbps H.264 out of your iPhone or Android device.

Good cameras will even record natively in ProRes or DNxHD (or RAW), which is much more preferable.

iPhones can take RAW DNG photos as well, but if you actually looked at it and compared it with a $350 PP&S' RAW images, you'd see they were full of noise and almost useless in many scenarios. Smartphones depend on software processing to deliver what they actually do, because the sensors and lenses are terrible.

This is why P&S, Camcorders, and SLRs still retain a strong market - they are not yet niched off. Saying "many people use their smartphones" is about as useful as saying "many people use instant cameras" was 10 years ago. Most of those people don't care about photo/video quality and don't even know how to properly evaluate it. They are simply using the most convenient device they have on them at the time. That's one benefit of the smartphone form factor, and why it is heavily pressuring the camera market today.
iNate

motherboard: ASUS GL503VD
processor: Intel i7-7700HQ
ram: 32GB
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 10xx
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 250+512GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS 15.6" + HP 24" 1080p IPS Displays
Corel programs: PSPX9, VSX9 Pro, VS2018 (Refund), WPOX7

Postby iNate » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:23 am

Scubbie wrote:It is a difficult one iNate.

Personally, I use a combination of different devices for my own recordings and also take on a variety of recordings from club members which can be recorded on a wider range of devices.

Due to my GoPro Hero 4 flooding recently, I now have a GoPro Hero 5. That and the 6 & 7 also have GPS tracking. I'd love VS to be able to utilise that information. In fairness, the GPS feature doesn't work underwater, but there is a camera which does provide depth information with the video. That would be really useful to show as a profile within VS.

I do agree with your point about there being different groups of users. Those who want a quality video and those who are just happy to show off whatever they've captured.

One of the things which I love about VS is that range of cameras that it already supports. I am seeing more people delve into the 360° market and sadly the 3D market appears to be dying in the amateur side. It's already died on the TV broadcast side and I can only watch 3D films at the cinema or if I download them. VS supports all of this and more.

We could argue for an option to not include the modules we don't need when we install VS. This would reduce the space taken on our hard drives a little.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use the combination of cameras I have which includes a Camcorder, coupe of 4/3rd cameras, GoPro and mobile. Each has their advantage in different situations.

p.s. there isn't an underwater housing for my camcorder. I've looked ;)

Most things can be uninstalled directly after VS is installeed. For example, if you never use VideoStudio MyDVD (ugh, alongo with its huge content packs), Boris Graffiti and Title Studio, you can uninstall it from Add-Remove programs. I still think they should write an installer that doesn't just throw everything on your maching together, though...

I agree with the bolded, and this was exactly my point. When I'm out and about recording Vlogging material, I use my smartphone almost exclusively. This is why I've complained about the need for QuickTime for iPhone H.264 video (HEVC is completely unworth editing, the perfoormance is so bad). I've switched to a Galaxy Note 9, and that has deleted this issue (as it uses H.264 or HEVC in an MP4 container). But at home when recording Vloogging material (or when doing pre-planned stuff at a specific location), I use a camcorder. I try to use my smartphone on a Tripod (whenever possible), and shut off the DIS/EIS (software stabilization) in the device to avoid the cropping it entails, which also helps retain more image quality in the video.
iNate

motherboard: ASUS GL503VD
processor: Intel i7-7700HQ
ram: 32GB
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 10xx
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 250+512GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS 15.6" + HP 24" 1080p IPS Displays
Corel programs: PSPX9, VSX9 Pro, VS2018 (Refund), WPOX7

Postby pepegota » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:31 pm

VS 2019 needs to support 5.7K files. Presently, they do not work and choke the computer. Their 360 editing needs be modernized. What we need is the software to recognize 5.7K software and deal with it instead of producing a black and white horizontal icon which, is of no use..
Last edited by pepegota on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pepegota

motherboard: ASUS Prime H370 - Plus
processor: Intel i7 - 8700
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GT 1030
sound_card: On board sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Ben Q, "21" LCD
Corel programs: VS 2018

Postby pepegota » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:19 pm

New 360-5.7K video cameras are starting to be released, the Insta360 One X, for example. VS needs to handle 5.7K which it presently cannot do. There is no software , that I am aware of, that can convert 5.7K to Blu-Ray specs. However, MPG is possible. That means the ability to do better than SD does not exist. They make these cameras cell phone dependent making their use for casual users-"the look Mom my video crowd." Also, streaming is taking off which obviates discs. They go straight to the TV. Some of us would like to use it in presentation videos etc. but, we are the forgotten crowd. Please, do not forget the disc users.
When using m2ts files the program crashes. Disc repairs with TS-Doctor, Hand Brake, MultiAVCHD could not fix it. Only the vendor and/or VS can fix it.
I just tried Power Director and it cannot handle 5.7K either. Let's get on it, Corel!!!
pepegota

Postby asik1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:51 am

pepegota, On Dec 1st NHK will start an 8K channel broadcast
https://advanced-television.com/2018/10 ... nel-plans/
I don't know how they are going to edit their shows if VS 2019 will not support it...
At least all the other aspects of the program works very smoothly.
asik1

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ENGT430
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Postby pepegota » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:55 pm

It's 5.7k that concerns me as that is what the cameras can obtain. What do you do with 5.7k video when you cannot display it or reduce it to HD? By disp/lay I do not mean cell phones or streaming video. No TV's that I know of can display 5.7K and if one exists it's $$$$. What we need is the software to recognize and deal with 5.7K video instead of yielding an icon banded with black and white horizontal bands.
pepegota

Postby Alexander256 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:50 am

I wish VS would support accelerated rendering with AMD graphics cards.
m.bacc6666
Alexander256

System_Drive: S
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby Bleeder » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:43 am

I've had what I consider ok success correcting the Fisheye Lens effect on my own regarding my GoPro Hero 6 footage using the Lens Correction feature in NewBlue's Video Essential II under the heading of Fx, but we users really should have an update to the NATIVE Lens correction feature for Corel VideoStudio Ultimate 2018 for the GoPro Hero 5, 6, and 7, especially the Wide and Superwide. The current VideoStudio "Ultimate" falls very short by only having distortion correction up through GoPro Hero 4, and that camera was from YEARS ago! Most of us that use GoPro cameras would surely appreciate an update if there could be one!

Playing with some new footage from my Hero 6, I "think" I've got it dialed in for my Hero 6 lens distortion regarding Focal lengths (X/Y), Optical Lengths (X/Y), plus Radial Distortion Coefficients (K1-K3). I set Tangential Distortion to zero for both P1 and P2. I won't post them here, because I sure would like to see what the Corel VideoStudio Pro's would use to correct the lens distortion from the latest GoPro's Hero 5 through Hero 7!! Sure wish the software engineers would provide an update if they're able. {**Hint - Hint**} :D

Again, no huge complaints, but help (meaning, a simple "Click and Go" with true lens correction for Gopro users using the latest cameras would be appreciated in an update sometime. Just on my wish list, is all! For me, that WOULD make this program the "Ultimate!!"
Bleeder

operating_system: Windows XP Home
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4gb

Postby Scubbie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am

Hi Bleeder,

To be fair I hadn't looked at this feature after I had initially looked around last February. At the time I was using my GoPro Hero 4 Black but decided against using it and instead setting the camera to record without distortion where possible.

My logic for this is simply based upon a desire to retain the resolution that I recorded the video at (normally 1080). Using the feature to fix the distortion will reduce the quality of the video. Of course, I could record at 1440 or 2160 and then render at 1080. In most cases, this should be fine.

Sadly I had a bit of a problem and the GoPro decided to take a salt bath whilst I was on a dive. :( On the upside, I was insured and now have a GoPro Hero 5 Black. It's a lot clearer than the 4 and the options to record in hi-res with less distortion are better too. As a result, I still haven't needed to use the feature to fix the lens distortion.

Also, in fairness, when I am diving I can get away with using the wider/fisheye options on purpose as they work well in the underwater environment. Not all my work with the GoPro is underwater. I recently stuck the GoPro 5 on the bow of my club's RIB. The result was some great footage which was nicely stabilised and (as I'd chosen Wide) had no noticeable fisheye effect.

You are right of course. There are no current options to fix the distortion for the GoPro Hero 5, 6 or 7, whether you have the white, silver or black version. Since you've spent a little time working out the best for yours and as this is a User to User support group, could I suggest that you raise the game in a positive manner by starting a new thread and sharing your results for each setting? I am sure that others would appreciate it and more might be encouraged to share their respective results with other cameras and not just the GoPros?

There is one option I would very much like added though. Since I can record at 1440, it would be nice to have the option to render at this resolution too. I know that there are ways to handle this, but for someone new (not myself) they aren't obvious.
Scubbie

motherboard: Asus N76VJ
processor: Intel i7
Video Card: NVidia GeForce GT 635M
sound_card: Realtek HD Audio [built in]
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3TB +Ext.
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus & Hanns G HX281
Corel programs: VideoStudio Ult., PaintShop Pro Ult.

Postby JET2020 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:32 am

Hi
I use it from VideoStudio 10. :D
sorry, I'm not good at English. :cry:

Title
1."Title safe area" isn't displayed.Please Display to Playview. and please Display to "customize Motion".
>premiere pro have it "Title Safe area "& "Action Safe area"
>There are many users using the projector,DVD Player.
2.Please add "Adjust character spacing Function".
3.I want to select a gradation with the color of a character.
4.I want to put an emoticon in a character.

Design
5.I would like to draw vector curves like circles,blocks and arrows.
6.VideoStudio can import VSP files, but in that state cannot be smart package.
7.When outputting a project with nothing on the main track, save it as Avi with alpha channel.
8.Function to import VSP file as alpha channel when there is nothing on the main track.
9.Because the maximum size of the text is small, allow you to choose it to 500 points at least.

"Boris Graffiti" is a very nice plugin and I like it.
It is easier to copy and paste text with the standard function, so please develop standard functions as well.

Mask Creator
10.Please be able to enlarge or reduce the selection range.
11.I want to make it with Bezier curve.
12.Detect movement, performance is bad. The border is dirty. I can not use it as soon as it is disturbed.

Sound
13.When moving the sound to the left and right, I want to move the line like volume.
14.I want to remove the noise of the sound more easily.
15.I want you to attach an equalizer.
16.DVD Writing,Audio multi track and Title multi track.

Other
17.360 degree video transition.
18.360 degree Video Stabilization.
19.I want to add a border or shadow along the trimmed or masked image.
20.There is an opinion that it is necessary to switch the video output destination to the motherboard in order to render using the GPU engine.I want to make it possible without switching GPU rendering.
21.When Copy multiple tracks clips , it collects on one track.
22.Render Queue system.
23.Splitscreen,I want a standard design such as 4 split(2x2),6 split(3x2), 16 split(4x4), 20split(5x4) etc.There are only things that are difficult to use.
24.Please extension overray tracks to 50.when make 20split screen,LineClip on title track and error.
25.When using "split screen" and "Replace clip", it is troublesome to drag and drop while holding down the Shift button. I want to drag and drop directly on the preview screen.ex)import switch button to templrate.
26.When I use "split screen", I want a function to be able to picture a straight line in at a pure angle including 90 degrees when I draw SHIFT key in spite of being push. In addition, I want to do a fine adjustment with the arrow key.
27.screen capture,Please record PC sound and microphone sound separately.I want you to be a separate file.
28.It has hardly any "a menu design of the Blu-ray Disc".

Thank you.
JET2020

motherboard: X470 Taichi
processor: Ryzen 7 2700x
Video Card: GTX1080Ti
sound_card: Quad Capture
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 300GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: EIZO
Corel programs: CorelDRAW,Painter、Paintshop,VideoStudio

Postby asik1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Nice list Jet2020 but don't expect too much of VS.
#2- never, use Boris or Newblue
#9 - To use 986pix text just set your project to AVI low resolution,
type your text and go back to HD or 4K project.
big.jpg
asik1

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ENGT430
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Postby scottrbishop » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:27 pm

It would be great if VS could be usable on a 4K display at 200% zoom in Windows 10. I use a 2018 Dell XPS15 with the Nvidia Geforce 1050 Ti card 3840 x 2160 scaled to 200%.

Every modern piece of software I own or have tried scales correctly except this.

I was truly in disbelief that someone hadn't brought this up in reviews online anywhere. But after lots of searching, I think it's true that this just wasn't designed for modern laptop displays.

If they can patch it, then I might be able to use it and see if it's as good as I had hoped when I purchased. As is, I have to buy something else built for 4K displays in order to edit the videos I want.
Attachments
corel_example.jpg
Left = All normal software / Right = VideoStudio Ultimate 2018
scottrbishop

PreviousNext

Return to VideoStudio