NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Firewire capture issues in HDV format.

Firewire capture issues in HDV format.

Postby mmponline1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:45 am

I have Corel Studo 7 Ultimate on a i5 pc with Windows 8 (And 7) I have a Sony HVR-V1E and do capturing via firewire.

If I record in DV format on a mini Dv tape, VS sees the output as DV and then captures it perfectly.

If I record in HDV format and then try to capture to VS, the program takes ages to recognise the format and then eventually get ready to capture the footage. Everything is slow (like changing the file name or selecting a folder in capture mode) When I start capturing, it mostly runs fine, but I do get some dropped frames and jerks from time to time. It often happens if capturing is more than 30 min.

It seems like the capturing in HDV is not what it should be. DV is 100%. If I use a program like AVS capture to capture, it works 100%. It seems like it's a VS software issue.

Any suggestions?

System specs are more than enough:
Intel Core i5-4460 CPU 3.2GHz (64 Bit)
8 Gb Ram
NVidia GeForce GT 630
mmponline1

operating_system: Windows 8
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: Firewire capture issues in HDV format.

Postby RickinSav'h » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:12 pm

Suggest you move this post to the VideoStudio discussion.
MSP 7/8 | VS 8/11.5 | DVD MF 2/3.5/4/7 Pro | VGL 1 | PI-X3 | Painter Essentials 3 | Audacity | Bluff Titler Pro 10 | Pinnacle Studio DV/7/8/10 | Adobe CS2, PS, PE, AE | PhotoDex Producer 9.0 | ACDSee 9 | Nikon S8100 | Sony DCR-TRV330
RickinSav'h

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: Toshibia P55T-B5360
processor: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Radeon R9 M265X - 2GB DDR5
sound_card: On Board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB

Postby Ken Berry » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:12 pm

I have a Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and capture from it is also via Firewire. I have no trouble in getting VS to recognise the camera, nor in capturing from it. However, I have to add that in fact I mostly use a freeware program called HDVSplit to capture my HDV. However, this is not because VS is not capable of doing the job, but because HDVSplit, as its name implies, splits the video into individual scenes during capture, and moreover allows me to designate my own names for the captured files rather than using VS's rather arcane date-based naming format.

Can we assume that when capturing, you are capturing to HDV mpeg-2 high def format and now down-converting to DV/AVI?
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 28" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby mmponline1 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:26 am

Ken

Thanks for your reply. I've downloaded HDVsplit and it does the capturing without any issues. So it seems to be a problem with VS X7 that is not working as it should. I will use this in future.

I just see that HDVsplit does not show previews and playback. I need some program that can capture and playback immediately as I use my camera from time to time to do live recordings and instant playback (Eg. athletes going through a finish line). The m2t captured files plays back seamlesly in VS.

All said, I love VS as the editing options have improved a lot through the years and the X7 ultimate seems to run perfectly with hardly any "program stop responding messages" as we had in the past. I only get the crash when trying to capture in HD.

Thanks again for your assistance.
mmponline1

Postby Ken Berry » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:08 pm

I just see that HDVsplit does not show previews and playback.

It certainly gives you a preview as you are capturing. There is a small 'Preview' box you tick about halfway down the left side of the program box when it appears on screen; and you can change the size of the preview screen. See the red arrow on the attached image (sorry but didn't have time to actually connect my Canon so Preview is greyed out. But with your camera attached and recognised, tick that box.)

HDVSplit.jpg

As for playback, the program is of course only meant to be a simple capture program. You can use the various control buttons above the Preview box to play, reverse, FF, stop and record the video on the (H)DV tape in the camera. But I suspect you really want to play back the video after it is captured. But to do that, you would need either, say, VS or a software media player...
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 28" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby mmponline1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:57 am

Thanks for your help. I'll have a look.
mmponline1

Return to VideoStudio