NEW! PhotoMirage

Choppy output from VS X5 render, even at 50p.

Choppy output from VS X5 render, even at 50p.

Postby whenevertrevor » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Hi. I've been having dramas for the last few days, and I can't for the life of me figure out where I am going wrong.
I've tried a google search and also searching the forums for the answer, but so far have not had much luck.

The problem is that after rendering video to an output file and playing, the video playback seems choppy. Movement of objects and panning seems choppy rather than fluid, like VS is dropping half the frames during the render or something. Video rendered at 50p, should be as smooth as butter.

Source files are AVCHD MP4 @ 30fps 1080 progressive . 17000kbps
I have also shot the same source files as 60p. The improvement is slightly better after rendering, but still difficult to watch in my opinion.
Playback of the source files in VLC or windows media player is perfect.

I put only a couple of the source files into the time line and rendered just to test. The output file is .m2t AVCHD 1080p 30fps 18000kbps.
Without fail, the video output is chocking. Movement is far from fluid. It's driving my crazy.
Just for kicks, I also tried rendering to a .m2t AVCHD 1080p 50fps 18000kbps, and also .m2t AVCHD 1080i 25fps 18000kbps.
The result is always the same.

I'm runing Corel VS X5.
windows 7 ultimate 64bit.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti. (not overclocked) with up to date drivers.
8GB RAM
2TB HDD
23" screen @ 1080.
K-Lite codec pack

If anybody has any ideas or personal experience they could offer, I would be very appreciative of the help.

Trev
whenevertrevor

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: Core2 Quad
ram: 8GB
Video Card: Nvidia
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: acer T23H 23"

Re: Choppy output from VS X5 render, even at 50p.

Postby whenevertrevor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:39 am

Bump
whenevertrevor

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
processor: Core2 Quad
ram: 8GB
Video Card: Nvidia
Monitor/Display Make & Model: acer T23H 23"

Re: Choppy output from VS X5 render, even at 50p.

Postby Ken Berry » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Can we assume this problem did not happen before your recent bout of dramas, and that you used to be able to render smooth videos, even at 50p? Has your source of AVCHD video changed e.g. are you perhaps using video from a smartphone which uses variable frame rate? We have had a number of problems reported recently with such video, with even the current version of VS unable to deal with this format.

When did you install the K-Lite codec pack (and why)? I know Corel recommends it, but my own and other experience here suggests that installing the whole pack can cause problems since the pack contains a huge variety of codecs, not all of which are necessarily consistent with each other. This can cause conflicts at times.

Finally, have you tried using SmartProxy with your current project? I know that your computer should be up to the job of editing and playing the demanding AVCHD format smoothly, but it could be worth experimenting with SmartProxy -- which as you may know, creates a standard definition copy ("proxy") of your original video which is not demanding on computer resources. You do your edits on that, then when satisfied, the edits are applied to the original high def video.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio