NEW! PhotoMirage

2 GB max file size for recorded AVCHD video?

2 GB max file size for recorded AVCHD video?

Postby Curb71 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:05 pm

I recorded most of a recent concert with my Sony HX9V. The video is in AVCHD formart and I am going through the videos and trimming the crap in the beginning and the end. Most of the recordings I let go for 10-20+ minutes. I don't want to stop and start after each song in fear I'll miss the beginning if it starts back to back. I've never had this problem till recently but I noticed all the videos that are over 2 GB are now in separate files. It seems that any file that exceeded 2 GB automatically stopped, and a new file was created. I googled and found I'm not the only one with this problem but couldn't find a solution. I use VideoStudio and do not see an easy way to join or merge these clips back together. If I add both the files and choose "project" (next to the play button) it plays them together (not perfectly) but the option to "saved trimmed video" is gone after I place my beginning & end markers.

I guess my main questions are how do I get rid of the 2 GB max restriction if possible & how to do I join videos together?
Curb71

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Dell Inc. 0KWVT8 A00
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 12 GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7570
sound_card: AMD High Definition Audio Device
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.1 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Insignia NS-32D120A13

Re: 2 GB max file size for recorded AVCHD video?

Postby Ken Berry » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:04 am

I've moved your post to the Video Studio forum as you are more likely to get responses here -- and also because you say you are using Video Studio (although you don't say which version you are using).

First, I have never heard of this 2 GB limit on AVCHD clips. While not having any individual original AVCHD clips over 2 GB, I often produce new, edited AVCHD videos which are often well over 2 GB and some as large as 4 GB or more. And inserting those back into Video Studio has never been a problem. What are the exact properties of these clips of yours? Please right click on one of them in the VS timeline and either copy all its Properties here or else take a screen grab of the Properties box and upload it as an Attachment.

Second, if the breaks are clean ones, all you should have to do is put the clips consecutively in the VS timeline, end to end, making sure there are no overlaps or transitions. (You may have to go into Preferences > General to make sure transitions are not automatically inserted.) Then, if you go to Share > Create Video File and choose an output format, then the new video should play without any noticeable breaks were the original videos were cut...
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 28" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby canuck » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:40 am

On what media are you recording the video in your digital camera? If it is on a SD card then of course you are limited to a 2GB file as that is the standard for SD cards which are usually formatted as Fat32. There is no solution other then converting the SD card to the NTFS system.
canuck

operating_system: Windows 8.1

Postby Curb71 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:06 am

Ken Berry wrote:I've moved your post to the Video Studio forum as you are more likely to get responses here -- and also because you say you are using Video Studio (although you don't say which version you are using).

First, I have never heard of this 2 GB limit on AVCHD clips. While not having any individual original AVCHD clips over 2 GB, I often produce new, edited AVCHD videos which are often well over 2 GB and some as large as 4 GB or more. And inserting those back into Video Studio has never been a problem. What are the exact properties of these clips of yours? Please right click on one of them in the VS timeline and either copy all its Properties here or else take a screen grab of the Properties box and upload it as an Attachment.

Second, if the breaks are clean ones, all you should have to do is put the clips consecutively in the VS timeline, end to end, making sure there are no overlaps or transitions. (You may have to go into Preferences > General to make sure transitions are not automatically inserted.) Then, if you go to Share > Create Video File and choose an output format, then the new video should play without any noticeable breaks were the original videos were cut...

Thanks for the reply.
I'm using VideoStudio X7.
I've had clips larger than 2 GB in the past too. I do have a new SD card in the camera which is a Sandisk Extreme PLUS 80MB/s 32 GB class 10 SDHC. It is formatted FAT32 but all the errors I read about mentioned problems going over 4 GB. Not 2 GB. If I could figure out this problem I wouldn't need to "join/merge" the clips.
I don't see a way to copy/paste the properties so here's a screenshot. http://www.imagebam.com/image/2c8bf9339935733
As far as the breaks being clean, I'm not sure. The transitions automatically inserted box is not checked. So you're saying to add the 2 files into the timeline side by side. Then create a new file of the 2. Then trim/cut the new file I've made?
Curb71

Postby Curb71 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:09 am

canuck wrote:On what media are you recording the video in your digital camera? If it is on a SD card then of course you are limited to a 2GB file as that is the standard for SD cards which are usually formatted as Fat32. There is no solution other then converting the SD card to the NTFS system.

So if I just reformat the card to NTFS then I won't have this 2 GB max problem? Are there any cons to using NTFS? Otherwise why need FAT32 at all? :shock:
Curb71

Postby Ken Berry » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:36 am

So you're saying to add the 2 files into the timeline side by side. Then create a new file of the 2. Then trim/cut the new file I've made?

Yes, you could do it that way. But you could also edit the existing clips before making the new video -- just as long as you don't do anything which changes where the two clips are placed end to end.

Otherwise why need FAT32 at all?

In the PC world, NTFS is more "modern" or recent than FAT and FAT32. But FAT32 is still used in the world of Apple/Mac. So SD cards and if not all USB stick drives, and indeed many, though no longer all, external USB hard drives are formatted using FAT32 so they can be used either on a PC or a Mac...
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby Curb71 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:00 am

I formatted the sd card via windows to NTFS (quick and without the quick box checked) and the camera says "Cannot recognize this memory card. Format and use again." :evil:

Edit: I formatted the card with the camera and now it's working. I'm going to record a long video and see if I can get a file larger than 2 GB. :mrgreen:

Edit 2: After recording another long video it still split the files once it reached 2 GB. The camera formats the card to Fat32 automatically. I guess this is either a problem with this camera and/or the SD card. Out of all those tutorials online is there one specifically for joining two files together? :|
Curb71

Postby Ken Berry » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:34 am

I am wondering if your card is classified as an SD card or SDHC card. The latter use FAT32 but the former -- particularly older versions -- use FAT16 which has the 2 GB file size limit. FAT32 normally allows files of just a fraction under 4 GB... I would imagine your camera would recognise the card if it is formatted in FAT32...
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby Curb71 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:08 am

Ken Berry wrote:I am wondering if your card is classified as an SD card or SDHC card. The latter use FAT32 but the former -- particularly older versions -- use FAT16 which has the 2 GB file size limit. FAT32 normally allows files of just a fraction under 4 GB... I would imagine your camera would recognise the card if it is formatted in FAT32...

This is the exact card I have.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-plus-32gb-sdhc-uhs-i-memory-card/3990822.p;jsessionid=B70317EF4DA6237C143B36B2CDF184E3.bbolsp-app01-108?id=1218444831583&skuId=3990822&st=sandisk%2032%20GB%20extreme%20plus&cp=1&lp=1
I've found creating a video from the 2 different clips isn't a problem at all by adding them to the timeline. But there is still a half a second of audio missing when the final video is done. The video doesn't seem to pause but the audio seems like someone hit the mute button real quick.
Curb71

Postby lata » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:52 am

Hi

It’s the camera's capability, this is what I found from the Faq’s
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/faq/DSC-HX9V
(search for 2gb)

Quote:-
The movie is divided into several files.
If the movie file size exceeds 2GB while recording a movie, the file is divided automatically, although it is played back continuously with the camera. If you use the software PMB or PlayMemories Home for importing to the computer, the divided movies will be combined automatically when importing.
• The files will be combined automatically only with the computer whose file sysem is NTFS or exFAT. They are not combined if the file system is FAT32. The file system can be checked in the Properties of the drive to be imported.
• The audio may be interrupted if you use software other than PMB for importing. Even if you use other software for editing, always use PMB for importing to the computer.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby skier-hughes » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:09 pm

Another of the reasons for putting a limit on recordings is to protect the image sensor. They tend to overheat if used for long periods.
The clips should be continuous, so joining them in VS is a matter of adding them to the timeline in the correct order.

If this is something you don't want to do, but you do want to video for long periods, I'm afraid you need to buy a video recorder not a stills camera!
skier-hughes
Microsoft MVP

operating_system: Windows 8
motherboard: gigabyte
processor: Intel core 2 6420 2.13GHz
ram: 4GB
Video Card: NVidia GForce 8500GT
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 36GB 2TB

Postby erdna » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:23 pm

The 2/4 Gb file limit is not related to AVCHD or VS. It relates to fat12/16/32 file limits AND camera properties. If yr cam is compatible with SDXC cards which uses exFAT you may (not sure..depends on yr cam) get rid of the file limits on long records. If yr files need to be merged correctly, use https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwowse9ie29kcbu/Merger.exe which automates the concatenation DOS command for file merging.
erdna

motherboard: Gigsbyte H81M
processor: I7 4770
ram: 16GB DDR3
Video Card: Intel HD4600
sound_card: Intel display audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB 7200rp
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Panasonic TX32cx600e

Postby snowstorm » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm

Many thanks to -erdna-;
I was having similar audio problems (2/4 gb limit)
The provided 'merger.exe' corrected the problems perfectly

snowstorm
snowstorm

motherboard: ACPI x64 Based PC
processor: AMD RYZEN 5 1600 Six Core
ram: 16GB
Video Card: RADEON RX560
sound_card: REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tetra
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM
Corel programs: VS2018,VSX9,VSX8,VSX6

Postby Curb71 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:02 am

skier-hughes wrote:Another of the reasons for putting a limit on recordings is to protect the image sensor. If this is something you don't want to do, but you do want to video for long periods, I'm afraid you need to buy a video recorder not a stills camera!

I use my camera to record video at concerts. Compact cameras are allowed and anything larger than that, isn't.

lata wrote:Hi

It’s the camera's capability, this is what I found from the Faq’s
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/faq/DSC-HX9V
(search for 2gb)

Quote:-
The movie is divided into several files.
If the movie file size exceeds 2GB while recording a movie, the file is divided automatically, although it is played back continuously with the camera. If you use the software PMB or PlayMemories Home for importing to the computer, the divided movies will be combined automatically when importing.
• The files will be combined automatically only with the computer whose file sysem is NTFS or exFAT. They are not combined if the file system is FAT32. The file system can be checked in the Properties of the drive to be imported.
• The audio may be interrupted if you use software other than PMB for importing. Even if you use other software for editing, always use PMB for importing to the computer.

This perfectly solves my problem. I figured I have no need to use Sony's bloatware but if its the only way, then I guess I'll do that. Then I can use VideoStudio for what I need it to do. Good find detective lata! Thanks again everyone for your help!
Curb71

Return to VideoStudio