NEW! PhotoMirage

x5 sound interrupts after a transition

Re: x5 sound interrupts after a transition

Postby BenK » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:46 am

Hi Trevor,

I tried as you recommended - cleaned the library, reintroduced the clips to the library and put them on the timeline via right click insert. That way, there seems to be no audio cross fade anymore, despite the fact that in the settings, automatic transition and automatic audio cross fade was enabled - In the audio view of the timeline, the sound line remains straight during transitions and the sound fade in and out are disabled in the clips. BTW, smart proxy was disabled.

That effectively eliminates the sound disruptions reported earlier, but is there sound cross fade anymore? Quite difficult to judge with the video clips in question, as they have a relatively constant high sound level, although the sound transition between the first and second clip is smoother and the missing sound of the last 4 frames of the second clip has been overlaid. But to really answer that question, maybe best to test that with a series of clips with alternating high and low sound levels.

Kind regards
Ben
BenK

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: D
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby lata » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:58 am

Hi Ben

Drag the clips from the library to the timelines and cross fade will be applied, that should improve things

by the way I have reported this to Corel Support.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby BenK » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi Trevor,

sure, when dragging the clips from the timeline (what I always did previously), you get the auto cross fade sounds in the transitions - and the sound disruptions.

Thank you for your engagement regarding that problem and for contacting Corel about it.

Best regards

Ben
BenK

Postby lata » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi Ben

I don’t think I explained the problem fully.

We have two issues, the first is Video Studio and not applying the crossfades, but we now know how to overcome that by dragging using the mouse.

The second problem is unfortunately your video clips, the audio stream does not start at the beginning of the clip, it is about one frame or so late.
I think Video Studio is reading the first frame as not having any audio content and then not applying the fade during render, if there is no audio there is no need for the fade?
Maybe it should still apply the fade, but it does not??

If you trim the beginning of each clip to remove the silent frame so the video and audio start together then the render includes both fades and the audio change does not contain the drop-off.

I did mention in an earlier post having a canon D20 that also recorded the audio in a similar way.
I have repeated my tests and find the results the same as using your video files.

I can render a good video provided I cut the silent frames from the ends.

Indecently the Mpeg that you provided showed about 8 frames as being silent, I think you mentioned that using the mpeg produced an even worse fade effect.

I can upload my results if you wish, but you should be able to duplicate them simply by removing 2 frames from the ends of the clips.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Postby BenK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:08 am

Regarding the sound of the clips I sent you:

One clip is mpg, all the other are m2t.

The sound of all the m2t clips starts with the first frame of the clip, as shown on the timeline.

The mpg clip was originally an avi file that I had rendered via Corel into a mpg clip. The avi file had sound starting in frame 1. In Corel , the sound of the resulting mpg clip apparently starts with frame 3. I had tried to cut the first 3 frames of that mpg file and smart rendered the file as a new mpg file. That new shortened mpg file, placed on the timeline, again showed no sound in the first two clips. You can repeat that at nauseum with the same results: no sound display for the first two mpg frames.

But when you place those same mpg files into the PD11 timeline, the first two frames show sound, starting at the very beginning of the first frame.

My conclusion: it's a simple display bug in Corel.

The avi file had no sound on the last 3 frames. That remained unchanged in the mpg file. Cutting off those 3 last frames had no meaningful impact on the sound transition issues. That isn't a surprise, because the problem isn't with the fade down, but with the ramp up of the sound within the transition.

Anyway, PD11 and a trial version of Magix correctly rendered the sound cross fades of those same clips, regardless of the selected transition length.
BenK

Postby lata » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:56 am

Hi Ben

First I received a reply from Corel QA
Quote:- Thanks for this information.
Our QA can reproduce this problem and this will be fixed in later SP1.
UnQuote

So hopefully applying the cross fades will be fixed.

I have done lots of tests and using a 1 second transition I cannot create a good audio. At least not consistently.
But increase to 2 seconds and it does seem to work ok.

I am not sure if Corel were aware of the implications of the Cross Fade with regards to the final render, I have done sufficient tests to be convinced there is a problem and will pass on my findings.

As I say using 2 seconds seems to work ok but that does not make it right.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Postby JPW » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:44 am

Has anyone ever found a solution to this issue? I'm having the same problem and this issue appears to go all the way back to X5. I'm on X8 with all the updates on Windows 10. I've tried as long as 3 second fade-out transitions with an MP3 file I have as well as cross fades and in both cases the little audio blip at the end of audio clip is still there. It sounds like a half second of the MP3 at full volume and its really annoying since the music tries to segue from a rather loud and busy audio track to something more sedated. Based on what I've read within this post changing the format from MP3 to anything else doesn't resolve the issue. The only workaround I can think of doing is taking these audio clips outside of VS8 and apply the fade outs there and then import them back in to the VS8 project. That is a lot of extra work so I'm really hoping there might be some other solution out there that I'm missing.
JPW

motherboard: Acer Aspire E15 Laptop
processor: I5-7th Generation
ram: 8GB
Video Card: onboard
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 9TB NAS
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Epson 8500 Projector
Corel programs: VideoStudio Ultimate x10