NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

VS2018 experiences

Re: VS2018 experiences

Postby weaver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:29 pm

asik1 wrote:How is the weather today in Austria?

Very windy and cold, but last week it was excellent in the mountains.
Attachments
IMG_3798.JPG
Austria in winter
weaver

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: intel i7
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Radeon
sound_card: C.Media
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 20TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: FULL HD
Corel programs: VS S6,8,10 on W XP, VS X4,6,7,2018

Postby iNate » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:00 am

tletter wrote:
weaver wrote:I have learned it in the past, therefore I use short names.

I gave up 8.3 names when Windows 95 came along in 1995 as long filenames are much more helpful, but to each their own, however, the program should support a user's choice.
Windows95BOXSHOT.png
tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter

Windows still has path length limitations enabled by default in the file system - and therefore, enabled for everyone. You never know when this will cause an issue, if you enable long path names on your machine and then send someone i.e. a zip file with a heavily nested folder structure - never mind the implications for external drives that are used on disparate machines.

This is a common issue when people move files from macOS to Windows. For example, if you try to copy your iTunes Music Folder from a Mac to a Windows machine, it may error out on tons of files because the paths are too long for Windows (with default setting). It will either truncate the file name (which can really make Search fun), or fail to copy it.

There is a policy/registry switch to enable long file paths, but this is an interoperability nightmare, which is why it's disabled by default.
iNate

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUS GL503VD
processor: Intel i7-7700HQ
ram: 32GB
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 10xx
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 250+512GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS 15.6" + HP 24" 1080p IPS Displays
Corel programs: PSPX9, VSX9 Pro, VS2018 (Refund), WPOX7

Postby asik1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:05 am

iNate wrote:
tletter wrote:
weaver wrote:I have learned it in the past, therefore I use short names.

I gave up 8.3 names when Windows 95 came along in 1995 as long filenames are much more helpful, but to each their own, however, the program should support a user's choice.
Windows95BOXSHOT.png
tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter

Windows still has path length limitations enabled by default in the file system - and therefore, enabled for everyone. You never know when this will cause an issue, if you enable long path names on your machine and then send someone i.e. a zip file with a heavily nested folder structure - never mind the implications for external drives that are used on disparate machines.

This is a common issue when people move files from macOS to Windows. For example, if you try to copy your iTunes Music Folder from a Mac to a Windows machine, it may error out on tons of files because the paths are too long for Windows (with default setting). It will either truncate the file name (which can really make Search fun), or fail to copy it.

There is a policy/registry switch to enable long file paths, but this is an interoperability nightmare, which is why it's disabled by default.

Same goes on burning stuff, you can have only up to 255 character to a file (path+name)
asik1

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ENGT430
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Postby weaver » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:55 am

A new experience with VS2018

Yesterday I finished my short film ( about 14 min). It was running yesterday nicely and smoothly on the VS preview monitor. My wife asked me to add one more title to the film, so I opened today again my project, added the title and discovered that from about the half of the video the preview monitor stucks, no more continous video. Sometimes just the cursor moves on the timeline, the music mostly is continous but the picture update is not. I tried the standard layout (F7) and also my normal layout with a split screen on two monitors. The result is the same. The proxies look like to be OK ( at least I do not see any problem there), the added title is right on the beginning, the problem appears somewhere in the second half of the video. I restarted several times the VS2018 hoping in improvement, but nothing. Now I try to render my project, maybe it will bring better results.
weaver

Postby weaver » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:17 pm

A question:

Do you uninstall after the upgrade the earlier version of your VS?
weaver

Postby Ken Berry » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:28 pm

Even if you bought the so-called upgrade version of VS, you are still getting a full and complete version of the program, not one which simply uses updated portions of the earlier version. The different price is simply a reward for existing users.

So you can certainly remove the earlier version if you need the space on your computer. But the earlier version will continue to work perfectly well, if you want to leave it. As some of us repeat a lot, we keep several versions either just to have a backup in case something goes wrong with a later version, or just for testing and comparison purposes.

Mind you, with the mess VS 2019 is causing, I would suggest that anyone who has VS 2018 or an earlier version should definitely keep the earlier version until the VS 2019 problems are sort out by Corel! :roll:
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Postby weaver » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks Ken, I just wanted to know, as it was also my praxis.
Recently Corel support told me that this can cause the incorrect operation of the VS2018, so I should remove the VS X7. I cannot agree with them again, the support already caused in the recent case lot of problems ( reset the VS without a backup, practically they could not identify the problem I was reporting). I do not want the remove the. X7 as it is cca 3 times faster than the VS2018, and for some minor jobs it is an alternative and is definitively more stabil as the VS2018.
I will not deat with VS2019 at all, I will skip it like I did in the past with many versions. For me is the stability of the editor a key issue, and I do not want to experiment with different silly ideas.
I do not understand and support the method (Corel is not the only one) that we are paying for their programs and they use us as a laboratory mouse to help them to finish their product.
weaver

Postby weaver » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:33 am

The next issue with the VS2018.

As it was my upgrade from VS X7 to VS2018 of course I try to check the novelties in the program. As described above there are big changes, new nice features and many bugs. Some of them where already fixed, I hope on the rest Corel works.
Unfortunately is the recent form VS2018 ( with latest SP and upgrades) is still far away from the stability and speed of the X7.
But there are also some dirty business practices as well. I wanted to burn my recent film to Blu-Ray and to my suprise it is NOT INCLUDED in the VS2018, however this authoring was included in the VS X7 and worked fine. Corel asks again some money for the option I already purchased in the past, and is omitted AFTER the upgrade!!!

I think I need to seriously think about to change my NLE for some other vendor, I hate such dirty money collecting methods as Corel tries to practice against their old customers.
weaver

Postby HeinrichS » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Ken Berry wrote:...The different price is simply a reward for existing users.
...Mind you, with the mess VS 2019 is causing, I would suggest that anyone who has VS 2018 or an earlier version should definitely keep the earlier version until the VS 2019 problems are sort out by Corel! :roll:

And my rant for the day:
Corel should treat their loyal existing customers better - releasing VSP 2019 with as many bugs and expecting users to unit test is unacceptable (I work in software), and their pricing model is ridiculous. I've been bugged for the last 2+ weeks several times a day to upgrade for $63.99 "saving 20%" because I'm a loyal user, but today, a day after the upgrade special expired, I'm getting an "exclusive introductory offer" for a new install at $59.99 - saving 40%.... So much for a loyal customer upgrade special :-) Just more pain on top of the buggy software.
FWIW I still have to upgrade/buy new sometime, but for now I'm staying on VSP 2018 and staying away from VSP 2019...
/RANT
HeinrichS

motherboard: Alienware 09G12C Area-51 R2
processor: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.40 GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon 3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 256GB+4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Flatron IPS 234W
Corel programs: Videostudio 2018

Postby weaver » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:36 pm

Do not forget to inform also Corel about this misery....
weaver

Postby weaver » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:50 am

Today I started my new video on VS2018. It was a short project so I went into a risk and used the VS2018 instead of stable X7. At the beginning using two monitors the VS crashed about 5 times - no idea why, I just wanted to involve Corel support but I lost the error message generated by W7 :oops:
After that I switched back to a single monitor mode and everything went perfect during the whole project, except the known artifacts, the cursor on the time line does not follow exactly the video in the preview screen ( it is the biggest problem from my point of view of the VS2018). Now I am already rendering my HD project.

The problem with the cursor ( vertical line) is that when I stop the video on some sound or video event (beat etc) the stopped video on the time line is not on the real position there is some offset. This does not happen on VS X7.
weaver

Postby asik1 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:26 pm

weaver wrote:Today I started my new video on VS2018. It was a short project so I went into a risk and used the VS2018 instead of stable X7. At the beginning using two monitors the VS crashed about 5 times - no idea why, I just wanted to involve Corel support but I lost the error message generated by W7 :oops:
After that I switched back to a single monitor mode and everything went perfect during the whole project, except the known artifacts, the cursor on the time line does not follow exactly the video in the preview screen ( it is the biggest problem from my point of view of the VS2018). Now I am already rendering my HD project.

The problem with the cursor ( vertical line) is that when I stop the video on some sound or video event (beat etc) the stopped video on the time line is not on the real position there is some offset. This does not happen on VS X7.

What is your layout?
I'm testing this, and no crash
2018duo.jpg
]
2 X 19" screens
***** BUT HAY YOU ARE CORRECT !!
11 seconds difference between a cut on the preview and the actual timeline cut , and I'm testing SD 3MB/s wmv. I'll load the vsp to my X9.
****It's nuts, I'm testing it with 90min file, VHS capture I did and split by scene as I did many times in the last few weeks. It doesn't work well even on X9 and even on single monitor layout. So it's not monitors issue.
I'll re-split by scene the file and re check that playhead VS preview thing.
asik1

Postby weaver » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:23 pm

My VS crashed always when I had some complex issues like 3 layers of video ( just static photos with some motion). At this point the VS2018 always crashed in dual monitor mode. In single screen mode never.
My VS X7 never crashed since I own it. ( in single or dual monitor mode)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/wH1_CquEGIw[/youtube]

Here is the video, the crash happened always at the edit point at 0:09 sec ( 2 photos in motion). The same scene on a single screen worked fine. The whole video was done on VS2018.
weaver

Postby asik1 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:51 pm

OK, things are different now.
I don't know why 2018 showed the file as 90min, it's actually just 65 ...
Re split it in X9 and play it, and it plays just fine on the cuts (lots of them...)
I reload the X9vsp into 2018 and it also plays well when the preview is full screen on the right.
So.... It could be a hickup just before Easter.
I never thought VS is accurate but 11sec is way to much. :lol:
asik1

Postby weaver » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:43 am

Maybe my Nvidia graphic card had not the latest driver. Interestingly this update is somehow not included in general upgrade processes. I just installed the latest one, let us see if this fixes the VS2018 problem.
weaver

PreviousNext