NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

HELP with VS2018 -- having "issues!"

HELP with VS2018 -- having "issues!"

Postby coreldb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:07 am

Hi All! I have used many versions of Video Studio, and recently upgraded to 2018 Ultimate, but for some reason, it just isn't behaving as I expect (or like previous versions)

---Sometimes I'm able to use the fade in/fade out for a photo in the (upper right) edit section, sometimes when I double click on the photo, I'll see that option flicker but go away.... please tell me what's going on and how to get that part of the edit screen back

---the UI Layout... every once in awhile, it just changes the layout and even though I ask it (under settings) to return to the default, it just DOESN'T -- why does it change the format, and why can't I change it back???!!!

---I have tried several times to import the library from my previous version, but it just won't do it!

---this version just seems to crash a lot -- anyone else having that problem too? I'm wondering if I should go back to my old version! I really like that I can scale and crop photos right on the preview screen and some other features.

As always, I appreciate any answers and all of the support here on this board. db
coreldb

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: H67BIOS
processor: Intel Core i7
ram: 8.0
Video Card: AMD Radeon
sound_card: AMD High Definition Audio Device
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP ZR24w

Re: HELP with VS2018 -- having "issues!"

Postby BrianCee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:35 pm

The 'fade in / fade out' options which appear in the top right corner of the options panel when you double click a clip are for the AUDIO - not visibility - so they will never appear for a photo only for a video with sound - fade in and out an image or video by using the appropriate transitions (FX)

How do you mean the UI layout changes - do you mean all of it - that is the preview screen / timeline and library all move to different places - or do you mean that elements within them change - for instance the library may well appear different according to which folder is open - clips / FX / transitions etc all have different contents - the settings for the UI - including the default - only change the locations of the three main units (Preview / Library / timeline ) not what is contained within them - pressing F7 should always return you to the default layout of preview screen top left - library top right - timeline across the bottom

From a personal point of view I never use import library anyrate because it can do the strangest things and I prefer to move and populate libraries manually - just as a check - in order to import a library you are aware that you must have exported it from somewhere first - and sometimes only from the previous version of VS - not necessarily from way back

Again I personally do not have problems with VS (any version ) crashing - so can only hope some one who does will follow up and help you with that

My VideoStudio demo videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBrianCee
BrianCee

operating_system: Windows 10
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP
Corel programs: VS X4,X5,X6,X7,X8, X9, X10

Postby lata » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi coreldb
And welcome to the forums.

Can you confirm that you are using the purchased version.
If yes please go Help – About, what version are you using, should be 21.3.0.141

If you are using the trial then there may be some issues with the UI.
I say that as the latest full version fixed some UI issues which may still occur with the trial.
Have you set your own layout and saved as Custom 1, etc.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby coreldb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks, guys...

--->>>Yes, I'm using a purchased version (& have installed the updates to it)

---VERSION: yes, 21.3.0.141, 64 bit Ultimate

---What happens is the components are re-arranged on my screen (library, timeline, etc.) and sometimes re-sized too I think

---And YES, I set TWO custom layouts, but sometimes clicking on the "default" or Custom #1, etc. works & sometimes that does NOTHING! -- components of the workspace are mixed up and re-sized in a way I didn't choose (and I don't know why! seems I click on something, then everything is totally re-arranged... sometimes I can get the proper layout to return by switching to "CAPTURE", then back to "EDIT" -- but all mysterious and cumbersome!

--->>>Also, about the photo FADE-IN/FADE-OUT I'm asking about --
...I understand about the FX version BUT in VS2018, I HAVE been able to do what I'm asking about in the Edit Options (tried to attach a photo, but too large, so I put an attachment showing the part of the work area...) There is Edit, Correction, and Effect; When EFFECT is open, and I've clicked on a photo, underneath all of the "Basic Motion" arrows, there are fade in/out bars -- I've used those for years as a quick/easy way to allow a photo to fade in and out, so it's not so abrupt. MY PROBLEM: sometimes I can "summon up" that section of "Effect" and sometimes it just DISAPPEARS-- if ( try to click, that part flickers a bit, then totally goes away! WHY??????? After posting my original question, I realized that a couple of times, if I close the program and re-open it, that section appears again. Are there gremlins in my program? ANY SUGGESTIONS???

--->>About the IMPORT LIBRARY -- yes, I first exported the library from my previous version (X9), but when I clicked on IMPORT, nothing happened...BUT, I just tried it again and walked away for awhile -- apparently something DID happen. Not sure if all of the "freebie extras" I've downloaded through the years were imported or not, but some things were added.

SO, I really appreciate you guys always being there and your always patient answers. Any more insight on the issues I've described here is most welcome. Obviously I'm no expert and have very limited knowledge, but I've been muddling through with Video Studio since at least VSX4 (or before), and have made some good videos spending hundreds of hours. And the support here has really helped along the way. THANKS SO MUCH!
coreldb image.png
image attached by admin
Attachments
VS clip showing fade bars.docx
(32.16 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
coreldb

Postby lata » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 am

Hi

I have to say that I always use the default F7 layout so only to test do I set Custom options.

In the past I have set one Custom layout to test the UI
The last test I did after installing SP3 was with the single Custom 1 which seemed to work ok and retained the display throughout editing
The only issue I had was when first opening VS, that opened in default F7 view, but once switched to Custom 1 worked ok for that session.

Yes I am having problems using the UI layout after setting Custom 1 and Custom 2.
Seemed to switch over ok then stopped working, re-start the program to get things working again.
I am unsure if the new Options panel layout is affecting this?

I dragged an image to the overlay track, double click the image to open options, nothing changes
Try to alter the UI to another layout , nothing changes.

I need to remove the Custom settings, that may require a reset by renaming the 21.0 folder to 21.0_old
C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Roaming\Ulead Systems\Corel VideoStudio Pro (x64)\21.0

For more info view this page.
http://lata.me.uk/corel/reset/reset.htm

Post updated

Resetting the program did not remove the Custom 1,2,3 settings
Saving Custom 1,2,3 to the default setting F7 did allow the program to work correctly, at least seemed to work for me.

The only way to actually remove custom 1,2,3 is a re-install of the program.
I am trying to find the actual system file that holds the Custom settings.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Postby BrianCee » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am

and the screen you show with the fade in fade out icons only appears if the clip is in the overlay track - as you didn't say that is what you are using I assumed you were using the top track - so only if your clips are in an overlay will they appear

My VideoStudio demo videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBrianCee
BrianCee

ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP
Corel programs: VS X4,X5,X6,X7,X8, X9, X10

Postby lata » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:49 am

BrianCee wrote:and the screen you show with the fade in fade out icons only appears if the clip is in the overlay track - as you didn't say that is what you are using I assumed you were using the top track - so only if your clips are in an overlay will they appear .....

Hi Brian
yes that did cause a little confusion

But it is correct that the Basic Motion only shows from the overlay track
The culprit is setting Custom 1 and Custom 2 user Interface
That seriously messes up the user Interface when using the overlay tracks.
It affects the options panel display, double click the clip should open the options panel, for 2018 in a split mode, that does not work, neither does the three icons to switch views.

The way it is makes it impossible to use the program.
I have e-mailed the Video Studio team.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Postby coreldb » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:20 am

Sorry, guys -- yes, I add the photos in the overlay track... and, as I tried to explain, sometimes the fade in/out bars for the photo clips appears in the options panel, and sometimes not -- but seems if I quit the program and re-start, the fade bars appear again. Not a fun way to use the program. Very tedious. S

---So do I understand correctly that you (lata) think this is a software problem? And the problem may be due to using the Custom workspace settings?

---I only tried setting that up because of the problem I was having with the workspace being re-arranged by the program gremlins... but setting up the custom settings didn't help that either, so I guess I'll just remove that. Any suggestions on how to prevent the workspace from changing configurations?

I hate to put hours and hours into my project with a such a glitchy program! Should I go back to the previous version I was using? I really want to stay with this one because I like the feature where I can edit my photos right in the workspace...

Any ideas if they'll really fix the issues and soon? THANKS!
coreldb

Postby lata » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:43 am

Hi coreldb

Just to explain , there was a recent post where the UI was saved for custom 1 and Custom 2
This did cause some problems with the UI stability, I was able to replicate the problems.
Saving UI for Custom 1 only - did not show the problem, only when saving two.
It is possible that you are seeing the same issues.

You provided the image of the Basic Motion panel.
Can you take a screenshot of the full UI when you see the problem.
You may have to resize the image to allow attachment to the forum.

I tried using Video Studio minimised, with the smaller view I did have a problem with UI when changing the options view, after the first problem the program seemed to behave itself.
Although Corel appears to have fixed most issues that were present in the earlier version, unfortunately it does NOT appear to be 100% stable.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin