NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Trying to do time lapse video--Need help/advice please

Trying to do time lapse video--Need help/advice please

Postby JohnRVSP » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:56 am

This is my first post to this forum, as well as my first serious attempt to edit video, hopefully I can describe my problems accurately...

I am trying to make several TL videos for stand alone DVD presentation, laptop presentation, and possibly YouTube as well, so output formats will probably be different for each media, but the initial creation should be similar---right??

Anyway here are the facts I could think to provide----
1. Video content is building a wood project for a house----
2. Camcorder 1 video data 1920x1080, 29.97fs, DataRate 23803kbps, TotalBitRate 24059kbps, Audio 256kbps - 48000khz 2ch
3. CamCorder 2 video data 1920x1080, 29.97fs, DataRate 23816kbps, TotalBitRate 24072kbps, Audio 256kbps - 48000khz 2ch
4. CamCorder 3 video data 1920x1080, 29.97fs, DataRate 16923kbps, TotalBitRate 17179kbps, Audio 256kbps - 48000khz 2ch
(all camcorders are 3 different models of JVC AVCHD)
5. 200GB of raw camcorder data--40+hours
6. Newly created "9 hour screen capture" video from VSP10x screen capture, of the "Windows" analog clock running from 12:00 to 9:00 with the smallest selectable area for screen capturing, File Named "9-hour clock.wmv"-160 x 126, DR74kbp, TBR158kbps, 30fps, A84kbps, 2ch....File size 427mb
7. Using Video Studio Pro 10X Ultimate, T9500 Core 2 Duo on a Laptop w/500gb SSD system drive +500gb SSD data drive

The first thing I tried to do was to reduce the 9-hour clock file size by deleting the audio track ("Split Audio" and deleted the track), since it won't be needed. But re-encoding without the audio gave a 670mb file size--it got bigger with less original data, aparently it was upscaled to 1280 x 720, DR464kbps, TBR 516kbps, 29.97fps, A52kbps 2ch... and it took 25hours to re-encode the clock alone and it added back an audio track...??!!

Anyway...

The second thing I tried to do was add the clock to the project video to be "TL'd" by placing the "Wood Project Video" on the "Time Line - Video Track" and placing the 9-Hour clock.wmv video on the "Time Line - Overlay Track". The video & clock appear together in the preview pane, but when I select "Speed/Time Lapse" from the "Right Click" menu, only 1 or the other track can be selected....The 2 tracks can not be selected together to be "DOCTORED" together...Am I doing something wrong??? Do I have to encode and then TL?? That could take days and days----to encode.

So to my questions---
1. Is there a better way to add an image of a running analog clock to a time lapse video? I may want a 1HR, or 2HR, or 5HR, or 12HR clock for future projects, how can I make small, low-overhead clocks for time lapse videos? How?

2. Is there an easy to cut apart & Splice together video segments without re-encoding, mainly the clock video 1HR, 3HR, 8-1/2HR, etc? How?

3. Can different format input video content be combined, TL'd, and encoded simultaneously? .mov + .wmv + .mpg + .mts in just 1 encoding pass once laid out on the time line editor?--How??

4. Some parts of a long TL video are booring and need to TL fast, while some parts are detailed & intricate and will present better at normal speed, Is there an easy way to select different TL rates at different points in the video? How?

5. Are there any preferred file types and specifications I should select for to get good results without taking days and days to create? There seem to be dozens of different settings for each of the different file types and output formats. How can I make an informed decision?? What factors should be human calculatable to help decide?

Thanks for any help understanding this process??

Thanks thanks thanks!
John
JohnRVSP

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Acer JV50
processor: T9500 2.6ghz Core 2 Duo
ram: 4GB
Video Card: Mobil Ingel 4 series express ACER laptop
sound_card: Acer Laptop Integrated
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 400GB SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer Laptop Integrated
Corel programs: Video Studio Pro 10 Ultimate

Re: Trying to do time lapse video--Need help/advice please

Postby asik1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am

Welcome,
You surly didn't have to capture 9H clock....
you can animate something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbsNZ12_Alw

What is your knowledge of VS ?
On the face of it , it's not a project for a novice but, nice and interesting one to be guided with tutor .

*** Regarding the last Q, while editing you don't care about your file output format, once done you can render dozen times to different need, or better to render once and convert later to all other.
asik1

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ENGT430
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Postby JohnRVSP » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:47 pm

asik1 said
You surly didn't have to capture 9H clock....
you can animate something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbsNZ12_Alw

Thanks for your fast response---
I am trying to accurately track the time to build, so a simulated clock would not fit the bill. If some step takes 8 hours to complete, but time lapse takes 8 minutes,(or any other fraction of time), the clock needs to show 8 hours of progress as it occurs.

The simulated clock may be useful in another circumstance, thanks for the tip.

asik1 said
What is your knowledge of VS ?

Very limited,
I have merged a couple of clips into a continuous stream to make a single movie to play on a computer VS10X-Ultimate,
…..I don't even know what the "Ultimate" extra features may do to help with this projects major difficulties
I watched a couple of Corel videos on TL creation,
I asked my children who have made school projects with VS9, they made small low tech videos for class presentations.
Experience level 1.5 out of 10

Thanks again,
John
JohnRVSP

Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer Laptop Integrated
Corel programs: Video Studio Pro 10 Ultimate

Postby aljimenez » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Your project is very ambitious and challenging. You say your knowledge of VS is limited, and I wonder how much you know about time lapse creation. Creating a good time lapse is not simply throwing away frames; a good time lapse has motion blur and smooth movements. I hope I am not offending you, but if this is your first time lapse and you want a high quality one, I would not use VS.

There are a number of time lapse programs that do an excellent job. My favorite is one from Microsoft called Hyperlapse. If you make sure your running clock is the same length as your video, you would run the video through Hyperlapse and then run the clock video through Hyperlapse. Then use VS after that to compose your project. A Google search for Hyperlapse, and read all about it and how to get it free.
User for more than 10 years.
aljimenez

motherboard: Dell Inc. A08 4.16.2014
processor: IntelCore i7-4790 3.60GHz 4Cores 8 Logical Proc
ram: 24GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 270
sound_card: AMD High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500SSD+2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Three monitors, all Dell brand, one 4K
Corel programs: Visual Studio, Paintshop

Postby JohnRVSP » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:25 am

aljimenez, Thank you for your reply...

aljimenez said
You say your knowledge of VS is limited, and I wonder how much you know about time lapse creation.

I know enough to know I don't know near enough to get this right the first time, but I am hopeful for maybe the 2nd or 3rd time being successful

aljimenez said
I hope I am not offending you,

I gave you my complete video creation resume in 3 lines, I have no experience.
I have a BSEE from 1986, but not even an artful eye, so research & precision are my main tools.

aljimenez said
If you make sure your running clock is the same length as your video,

That was the reason for & questons about, creating, & chopping, & joining the clock video.wmv w/o re-encoding each variation...

Thanks for your thoughts, I have DL'd the Hyperlapse Pro as you suggested, and will play around with it.

Tks,
John
JohnRVSP