NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Teething problems in PSP 2018

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

Re: What do you like in PSP 2018?

Postby photodrawken » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:06 am

JoeB wrote: Perhaps I'm one who does not appreciates having shills not contributing to the purpose of the forum, which is helping people using PSP, not trashing the program to sell something else.

Count me in on that....

As regular participants in this forum know, I've tried (mightily :wink: ) to limit my comments to general image editing issues; but, having paid Corel 3 times for various versions of PSP, I feel I have a right to comment about Corel. It was just very interesting to see those (quoted) comments by tomkinsrichard which so closely matched what I thought.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done...
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
photodrawken

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 16Gb
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 324Gb

Postby JoeB » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:38 am

photodrawken wrote:
JoeB wrote: Perhaps I'm one who does not appreciates having shills not contributing to the purpose of the forum, which is helping people using PSP, not trashing the program to sell something else.

Count me in on that....

As regular participants in this forum know, I've tried (mightily :wink: ) to limit my comments to general image editing issues; but, having paid Corel 3 times for various versions of PSP, I feel I have a right to comment about Corel. It was just very interesting to see those (quoted) comments by tomkinsrichard which so closely matched what I thought.

Just to be fair (and full disclosure) , I have commented on Corel at times and in not the most complimentary manner. :-) However, that's different from making posts that only trash PSP while at the same time are only promoting (selling) a competitor program. It's a matter of degree, as are most things. ;-)
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP X9 and 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby tomkinsrichard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:14 am

My critic, what's your name again, ah, it doesn't matter anyhow, fails to accurately interpret what I have written.

I am not trashing Corel PaintShop Pro, nor promoting Affinity Photo.

I use Affinity Photo as an example of a corporations management that understood that past design choices were not helping out their profit margin, so they buckled down and did a re-write, utilizing their fine engineering and business skill set to revitalize their business operation. They are getting glowing accolades for their product too.

Corel management, should take a long hard look at where they are and where they are going and take an example from the effort and turn around that Serif put into their business operation.

Now, you call it trashing, and that may be because you are rapidly loosing faith in Corel and feel conflicted in continuing to support a dying product from a dying company, I get it. I don't call it trashing I call it shouting.

I have written to all the board members at Corel, most of the management team and have been ignored. There are a lot of Corel product users that care about the product, such as what's his name there, and these people need to have a fire in their belly to reach out to Corel management and tell them that complacency is over, collectively, they, we, want more, better, newer, more modern. So I am hoping to light a fire in your bellies.

As I said earlier, there are a large number of people that work for Corel, and their jobs are on the line. They read these forums, they will pass your desires on to management and that could convince management that they need to do something more to sustain and grow the business.

The Model T is dead, the design, the transmission, the body, the windshields (regular glass, no safety glass), the engine, the suspension. The Ford motor car company has continuously improved their product over the years in order to sustain and grow their business. IBM, no longer uses punched cards, yet, one could argue that punched cards have a life that would far exceed a disk drives and USB memory sticks, but they are gone, so are the card readers, and I worked with some of those giant monsters.

I am not trashing Corel, I am attempting to get the user community to speak out, rise up and convince management that the long term viability of Corel is in serious danger.
tomkinsrichard

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: hp pavillion
processor: amd
ram: 4 gb
Video Card: radeon
sound_card: hp pavillion
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500
Monitor/Display Make & Model: lcd

Postby tomkinsrichard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:27 am

What's his name, JoeB, you gotta know something. I have sold product to Corel. I have worked with folks that worked at Corel. I have interacted with Corel management in years gone by.

Corel management need a really hard kick in the pisser to make the wake up and take notice of things. Most of them are career managers, complacent in their mediocrity, comfortable in the belieif that they know hwta they are doing and it's just a 9:00 to 5:00 job.

Well it's not, Corel management should be there from 5:00 to 10:00, operating on weekends and helping the engineering staff and support staff deliver great products. Apple people don't sit around patting themselves on the back, nor Google, nor Facebook, nor Microsoft, nor Dell, nor HP s wy do Corel managemnet have such a laissez-faire about their business.

I get at least two telephone calls a year from Serif, and the people calling are empowered to make GREAT OFFERS to me as incentive to buy now. All I get from Corel is some stupid broken pop-up when I close the program that lets me tick a check box to not show the pop-up again and it doesn't work. The next time I run PaintShop, I again get the stupid pop-up. And once in a while, they pop-up something on my screen, even when I haven't run PaintShop. So Mr. what's his name, that's not marketing.

When you wanna stick your big fist in my pocket and pull my hard earned coin out and take it away from me for your product, can you not have the decency to speak to my personably, in real life.

A friggin stinky broken pop-up, is that what you think of me? C'mon Corel, time to do better.
tomkinsrichard

Postby tomkinsrichard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:31 am

Oh, and that stupid pop-up.

I paid cash for my copy of Corel PaintShop Pro, that means I don'twant stupi buy me now and upgrade now and other kinds of dumb *** robotic marketing. And it's not even robotic, there's no intelligence behind it. Some dumb *** marketing guy, a dick wadd graduate from reading the Marketing for Dummies book thought that one up.
tomkinsrichard

Postby photodrawken » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 am

JoeB wrote: Just to be fair (and full disclosure) , I have commented on Corel at times and in not the most complimentary manner. :-) However, that's different from making posts that only trash PSP while at the same time are only promoting (selling) a competitor program. It's a matter of degree, as are most things. ;-)

Now that I've had a chance to re-read my previous message, I want to make absolutely clear that my "Count me in" statement was an attempt to wholeheartedly agree with your comment. Sorry about any ambiguity.... :oops:
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done...
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
photodrawken

ram: 16Gb
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 324Gb

Postby brucet » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:14 am

The simple fact is that the 'one editor does all' solution is no longer a viable business model. There is so much competition that a stagnant business model is not the answer. PSP has been a major player in the market for many many years. And will be for the foreseeable future. However like many 'advanced' users I want/need more tools in my tool box than PSP provides. (Including performance). IMHO PSP has become bloated and nolonger suits my workflow as it once did. I have moved on as have many others.
HOWEVER. PSP is still a very capable editor. I moved over to Photoline. BUT I still use PSP as a secondary editor. Like any good tradesman, you need more than one tool in your toolbox to perform at your best. As I said in another thread. The future of editing software is in flexibility. The major flaw I currently see with PSP is its lack of 'flexibility'. While other editors open their doors for users to add plugins and external editors Corel ignore features such as the ability to use an external editor. Corel may see this as protecting their patch of turf. However I see it as locking out potential users by making it difficult for them to use PSP as their main editor.

From Photoline I can flip over to PSP and back. But I can't use PSP and flip over to Photoline. Until Corel adds this flexibility I can't see myself upgrading from PSPx8 to PSP2018. Pity. I like PSP. But I also like a productive workflow. Something that Corel is currently not providing for me. I'm not aware of Affinity features. Maybe is does allow for external editors. Maybe it doesn't. But if it does then Corel has one more serious headache to deal with.

Regardless of features I still believe the best editor you can have is the one you know best. (I still read every thread on these forum learning what I can about PSP). I often wonder how many 'serious' users complaining about software are no more than folks who's hobby is not editing but rather 'playing' with software for playing sake!

regards
brucet

ram: 8GB

Re: Teething problems in PSP 2018

Postby Jean-Luc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:52 pm

ADonahoo wrote:I'm not trying to be argumentative but I'll repost my screenshot here. I could take screenshots of my preferences and my workspace but they would look just like the ones above. I have no File Location in preferences in Edit Complete.

Imho, your are not in Edit Complete.
If I select the Essentials workspace and change it to the the Anthracite look (like the Complete), I get the same screen like you and it is normal.
http://www.paintshoppro.fr
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9 and 2018.
Jean-Luc

motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018

Postby ADonahoo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:46 pm

This is my last coment on this issue, since all of you seem to know better what I'm seeing on my computer than I do. I cropped my original screenshot to what I thought was relevent and to make a smaller image but apparently that was not enough to prove I saw what I saw. Rather than say wow, mine doesn't look like that most of you said wow, yours doesn't look like you think it does. I'm done here.

For what it's worth, my personalized workspace is identical to Edit/Complete.

There is no Manage tab on Essentials.

Edit to add: I installed this on my desktop computer and the preferences look just like yours. Apparently it's a glitch in the installation on my laptop.
ADonahoo

motherboard: Dell Inc. 0KWVT8 A03
processor: 3.60 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4790
ram: 24GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 270
sound_card: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SX2210 and Dell ST2210
Corel programs: PSP all versions since 7

Postby tomkinsrichard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:32 pm

OK, everyone is doing a reveal, so I will too.

I predominantly use Nikon ViewNX-i and Capture ND-D. Only Nikon software processes and uses the proprietary lens and camera metadata included in the Nikon NEF raw format, which is what I shoot in. All other raw converters do approximations, based on extensive lens and camera testing done by DxO.

Nikon's previous offerings were produced by a third party, that was purchased by ABC, so Nikon had to retain another third party to create new apps. That original firm also produced the NIK collection, again discontinued by ABC.

I use PaintShop Pro Layers and TIFF processing.

FWIW, you can use NIK Collection with PaintShop Pro.
tomkinsrichard

Postby JoeB » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:03 pm

I guess we're not surprised it's a glitch with the installation on your computer (laptop it seems now) given that everyone else gets the same, proper, menu items. Perhaps a complete uninstall and reinstall on the laptop will help?
Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby Jean-Luc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:56 pm

ADonahoo wrote:This is my last coment on this issue, since all of you seem to know better what I'm seeing on my computer than I do.

Did you load a workspace from a previous version ?
If so, don't do that.
Technically, it works, but the old workspace removes things in the menus of the new PSP.
Or... in Customize, reset the Menus (under Menu tab)
http://www.paintshoppro.fr
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9 and 2018.
Jean-Luc

motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018

Postby rondo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:34 pm

With Corel on the first release of any PSP, you are paying them to be a beta tester. I'll wait to upgrade to 2018 after patch update 3 or 4.
rondo

operating_system: Vista Home Premium
motherboard: Gigabyte
processor: Intel Quad Core Q9550
ram: 8GB
Video Card: Nvidia 660
sound_card: creative x-fi
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus ProArt

Postby Zantara » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:23 pm

The Deform tool seems to have vanished from 2018.
Normally part of the Toolbar, it has now dissapeared and can't be added through "Commands" either as it is just not there.
Zantara

processor: i3-2100 3.10 Ghz
ram: 4Gb
Video Card: NVIDEA GeForce GT 540M
Corel programs: PSP X7/X8/X9 32-bit/2018-64-bit

Postby JoeB » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Zantara wrote:The Deform tool seems to have vanished from 2018.
Normally part of the Toolbar, it has now dissapeared and can't be added through "Commands" either as it is just not there.

Assuming you mean the Raster Deform tool, it has been removed because it was just an older version of the Pick tool so is unnecessary.
Regards,

JoeB
JoeB